For Backers Only: Faction #1 Faction Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

?

What Do You Think Our First Faction Name Should Be?

1. Pax Machina (Machine of Peace)

479 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Legonis Machina (Legion of the Machine)

665 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. The First Empire

126 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Imperium (Empire)

425 vote(s)
    25.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

And now you know the percentage of players that like to go beyond just the game and interacting with the developers and community.
  2. zurginator

zurginator Member

This is why I think "Early Access" on Steam was a bad idea. Not only do most people not understand the concept, but they also don't care.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Low participation = let less people be involved? I'm confused.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Me too, but while we're on the subject of Early Access, what is the rough Ratio of Steam Early Access-ers to KS Backers and/or Pre-Order-ers?

We have numbers for KS backers from the KS but don't have numbers for anything that happened after that.

Mike
  5. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Well... I do not vote, because I don't like all of the names. So, what can I do? Nothing.
    nanolathe likes this.
  6. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

Legio Machinae sounds better than Legonis Machina imo, and should have the better meaning :)
  7. irishscott

irishscott New Member

Apparently there's a mispelling, Google Translate translates "Legion of the Machine" as "Legionis Machina", not "Legonis Machina".
  8. comham

comham Active Member

Lots of posters are dwelling more on the "robot" part of the name and not the fact that they are supposed to be roman-styled machines. ALL the factions will be robots, remember. We want to emphasise the roman bit.
    taihus likes this.
  9. veta

veta Active Member

they're so cheesy right :)

pax machina is the best though
  10. vipez

vipez Member

If they wouldn't have done early access, I wouldn't be here. Steam supports more payment options!
  11. taihus

taihus Member

Spot on, man.
  12. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Then maybe it should be machines for the Legion (ie, swap it around) instead?
  13. rorschachphoenix

I don't know. I don't like the sound of the names. And I don't like the names from a psychologic perspective (I can not bring romans in accordance to robots - sorry, I cant). And I have to think: Who built the robots? The romans? No way!

It is not understandable for me. Why should they have Roman names? Because it sounds cool? Well, it does not. This is not Warhammer 40K.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

What is it that makes the Roman? To be from Rome? To act Roman? To fight and conquer like a Roman?

They may be more Roman then you think, especially without the confines of flesh to hold them back.
  15. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Yeah, don't get hung up on the historical time period of the names. This is fiction. It's the ideology of it that carries through. What if Rome never fell and kept advancing to remain the most powerful civ on Earth? That's how you need to think of it. You could do the same with every other ancient civ as well for that matter.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The Byzantine certainly gave it a shot.

And these days to be Roman is to use the ideology that they had and used to build an empire, thus the ideology's being the factions in PA.
  17. ooddball

ooddball Member

i find all your choices a little cheesy made

Excelsior Da Machina
  18. rorschachphoenix

Well, from this kind of perspective...

But we don't know it for sure, right?

And this does not make the names sound better.

Before the poll I did not even thought about names. But those names really surprised me.

I just wanted to say that this is the problem, why I don't know what I should choose. And maybe I'm not alone with this problem.
    Last edited: September 25, 2013
  19. funkybacon

funkybacon New Member

The First Empire because it reminds me of United Earth Federation from SC :p
  20. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Exactly. The reason (and I use that word in its loosest sense) that this faction takes its cue from the Romans is nothing more than rather trite 'random' happenstance.

There's no reason behind 'Dominus'. There is no reason behind the Empire of Machines. He's retrieving memories, not forming original ideas; at least, that's what this reveal has shown. Maybe if more information regarding the actual reasoning behind this decision were presented, rather than 'Dominus' just continuing on with whatever he was doing before his electronic amnesia, I could actually identify with his position. Maybe I could identify with him as a person.

As it stands, 'Dominus' and his Empire just represent Romans in space.
    Done before... and in many more interesting ways.
    And of course, all his robots are named after Roman stuff.

This reveal is underwhelming to say the least.

---

I'd really like the Commanders to explain their thinking.
    'Dominus' hasn't thought... he hasn't reached a conclusion... he hasn't reasoned his way through his experiences to shape an ideology. Even if this isn't his given name, or what he was before his amnesia, he's just picked seemingly at random (though we all know this isn't the case, and is therefore why this is trite) powerful empire from his memory banks... which somehow have gotten stuck replaying the history channel on Roman Week.

Why is he fighting and what is he fighting for?
    What experiences have shaped him?

'Domnius', I don't care what you call yourself. I want to know WHY you called yourself that!
    What meaning does the name have to you, 'Dominus'?
    Why are you a Space Roman?
    Last edited: September 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.