For Backers Only: Faction #1 Faction Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

?

What Do You Think Our First Faction Name Should Be?

1. Pax Machina (Machine of Peace)

479 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Legonis Machina (Legion of the Machine)

665 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. The First Empire

126 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Imperium (Empire)

425 vote(s)
    25.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anointedshroud

anointedshroud New Member

I came here to say this. This is very, important to me. Moreover, if you wanted to say "Peace oftheMachine," it would also be Machinae, as in Pax Machinae. However, I like Pax Machina it evokes the idea that the faction is itself a peacemaking machine.

But seriously, it cannot be emphasized enough how important it is to say "Legio Machinae." The way you have it now is an awkward way of saying "The Legion's Machine."
    LockedKeye and comham like this.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Romans go home!

3. waaghals

waaghals New Member

I'm new here, and I apologize if this has been said before, but I find the faction name involving "machine" unsuitable.

We use name to classify ourselves in relation to others; why would a machine awakening in a universe populated seemingly only by other machines name their faction "Legonis Machina"?

They are ALL machines.

It's like a modern day human faction would call itself "Legion of Humanity", it makes little sense.
    The factions in TA does not seem to be seperated by whether or not they are machines, but rather on ideological grounds.
    ucsgolan and LordQ like this.
  4. asgo

asgo Member

and not to mix up with Lego Machine
    that would just lead to nasty trademark issues ;)

but hey, but you never know what 3000 years of machine evolution will create from playroom inhabitants
    perhaps Mindstorms 3K will have a construction plan for skynet... but I'm drifting, sorry
  5. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Voted for "Legio Machinæ".
    and you know what, I'm studying Latin right now, not sure if these bots are…
    But maybe that's a name the humans gave to it, and still exists in the PA universe. Well, if aliens find them, at least they'll know they're dealing with a legion of machines. Or not.
  6. Jandor

Jandor New Member

Voted for Pax Machina, rolls off the tongue nicely. I also like the slightly odd nature of it.

"We are the Peace Machines!" *blam blam blam blam*
  7. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Hm... I don't like the names. :(
  8. Jandor

Jandor New Member

I like your Avatar as a possible symbol for them though :)
  9. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Thank you! I made it myself. But I do not want to share. It is the long-standing representation of my digital self. And that belongs to me. :p
  10. lockjaw

lockjaw New Member

Pax Machina gets my vote because Imperium just seems too cliche and overused by the science-fiction genre. and Legonis Machina is a bit long for a faction name, while Pax Machina can also be referred to as just the Pax.
  11. devildude912

devildude912 New Member

I voted PAX Machina, though I also like (legion of the machine) I just didn't like the specific phrasing for it you guys used, I think Legio Machina is both more correct latin and sounds better.
  12. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I think Pax Machina was more derived from Pax Romana than actual grammar. Pax Romana being the long era of peace in the roman empire.

I do like the slight irony of it, but also the descriptive nature: it tells you that they seek peace. Of course, the question is...at what cost?
  13. z32

z32 New Member

I don't really like any of those names.

The latter 2 sound too general. "1st empire" and "imperium" have no sense of identity to them, if the goal is for something roman inspired, I feel like you may have to go a bit beyond just the concept of imperialism to scrounge a good name. Naming a faction just as "The Empire" is so hollow, there's no real name or meaning to latch on to, no image behind it.

Legionis Machina is just too much of a mouthful. A faction name is a sort of designation as well as a carrier for image and meaning. As such, it should be short, to the point, distinct and within those restrictions also offer significance regarding the nature of the entity in a meaningful way. "Legion of Machines" makes me think of some AI apocalypse, where the machine destroy their creators; it also seems distinctly like a name that an outsider (eg. a non-machine) would designate them. I can't see a legion of machines calling themselves "Legion of Machines" no matter how extreme their pretensions of roman oligarchy.

In that sense, Pax Machina is the lesser of 4 evils. It flows as a phrase, eg. "I just picked up Pax machina, they're pretty cool but I need to work on my build order", "Any advice for a Pax Machina main?" etc. The name contains not only a clear purpose, but also a bit of irony, which gives it some direction as a concept with ambiguity that allows for the players own creativity to shape their image. "Peace Machine" is an ironic name for a weapon of war, but it also raises questions about the origin and past of this machine; it offers more than just "romanized militaristic unit", it says "this served some purpose and has a history that is distinct from its current self". It gives a sense that this machine was created for some purpose, that its existence had some meaning and context beyond "destroy", and also gives the impression of a greater degree of individual identity: Peace Machine is definitely a name I can see an intelligent machine calling itself. It works better as an elective identity vs an ascribed one. Plus Pax in this sense is a bit of a double entendre, while its literal translation is basically "peace", its actual meaning is more along the lines of "an agreement upon which peace is possible"; in other words, an alliance, or a unity of machines. Once again carries far more identity than the other options.
    globalrelative likes this.
  14. ubererdferkel

ubererdferkel New Member

Sure, it means Peace of the Machines. (Machinae is singular, machinarum is plural.)
  15. icewasp

icewasp New Member

Just felt like saying that it should be Pacis Machinae in order to be Machines of Peace. Pax Machina doesn't make sense, as both words are in the Nominative case and singular.
  16. icewasp

icewasp New Member

Although if it is meant to be Machine of Peace then it should be Pacis Machina. I think the Pax Machina was meant to imitate Pax Romana, but Romana is an adjective and Machina is a noun. Therefore, Machina would have to be in the Genitive in order to be combined with another noun. This would lead to Pax Machinae, which would mean Peace of the Machine, or Pax Machinarum, which would mean Peace of the Machines. Also, Legionis Machina means Machine of the Legion, not Legion of the Machine. To be Legion of the Machine it would have to be written as Machinae Legio or Legio Machinae. In order to be Legion of the Machines or Legion of Machines it would have to be written as Machinarum Legio or Legio Machinarum.
  17. mrwasquibl

mrwasquibl New Member

I voted for Legonis Machina, but like many others would prefer it be Legio Machinae.
  18. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I like Imperium too, but I feel like that's too common, not unique enough.
    What about "Imperium Mechanicum"?
  19. cne9979

cne9979 New Member

I like Una Cogitatio (of one mind)

or Imperium Pacis (Empire of peace)
  20. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

I voted Pax Machina. It's a lot simpler than most of the others -- and will probably be shortened to P.M. or even better, just "Pax". I'm thinking that Legonis Machina will end up being shortened by most people to Legonis or Legion. Think about it: faction names are usually simple and easy to remember and recall. UEF/Cybran/Aeon, Zerg/Protoss/Terran, Vanu/NC/TR, or any of the WH40K factions: Tau, Imperium, Orcs, Space Marines, etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.