For Backers Only: Faction #1 Faction Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

?

What Do You Think Our First Faction Name Should Be?

1. Pax Machina (Machine of Peace)

479 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Legonis Machina (Legion of the Machine)

665 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. The First Empire

126 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Imperium (Empire)

425 vote(s)
    25.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Si1Foo

Si1Foo New Member

i like imperium the most makes me think of warhammer
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  2. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Imperium!
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  3. ubererdferkel

ubererdferkel New Member

Aren't all the factions composed of machines? Are they all going to have "machine" in the name? On the other hand, I admit I have a soft spot for cool-sounding Latin names, but do at least get the grammar right. In addition to the corrections given previously, I offer these alternatives:

Pax Ex Machina (Peace from the Machine, paralleling the theatrical term Deus ex Machina)
    Legio Machinarum (Legion of the Machines)

On the other hand, you could stick with Legionis Machina (or Machina Legionis--word order doesn't matter in Latin) and explain it this way: the machines themselves have the translation wrong. They were originally called "the machine of the legion," "legionis machina," i.e. just a tool used by soldiers, but data corruption has caused them to believe they are "the legion of the machine." This provides an interesting and tragic origin for their commander's pride and arrogance.

P.S. Arrogance isn't an emotion. Nobody says, "I feel arrogant today." Arrogant people feel prideful and superior.
    lokiCML likes this.
  4. neophyr3

neophyr3 New Member

Picked Legonis Machina. I can understand the reasons people like Pax Machina, but I'm really sick of sides viewing themselves as the ones of peace, whether that is what they are or not. This is especially true seeing as this game deals more with never ending conflict and robots. I'm guessing the robots here will still be relatively logical instead of emotional like humans. They should understand that was is not peace.

Hmm.... Actually, a name like "The Peace of War" (I know, that's is not what Pax Machina stands for) would be fairly ironic and interesting. Maybe the robots find war as a way of relaxing :/
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
  5. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Damn, tough choice. But had to go with Legion, because picturing a Legion of Machines is pretty damn intimidating/cool.
  6. wolfman1911

wolfman1911 New Member

Very tough call. I went with The First Empire for a number of reasons. I just don't really like Pax Machina, just because I don't like the sound of it. I didn't go with the Legonis Machina because Latin names are so much more badass when they are correct, and I'm not being overly picky here, I would have jumped at Legio Machina, even though that's wrong too, just because it sounds awesome. I really liked Imperium, but I just can't read that word without subconsciously adding OF MAN! to the end of it. You can blame Fantasy Flight Games and Relic Entertainment for that, because I've never played the minis game.

Finally, I had a few ideas of my own, based around using a name related to S.P.Q.R. That evolved into something related to the fact that this faction might have been built by a nation that based themselves off of Rome, kind of like how the Holy Roman Empire and the Russian Empire did. The name I'd come up with was the Third Empire, as their forebears were the second. Since one of the options was actually the First Empire, that is my pick.
  7. eagle0600

eagle0600 New Member

I vote Pax Machina, with the further stipulation that you should fix your Latin.
  8. diplomacyking

diplomacyking New Member

First empire sounds narsistic and cool
  9. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

What about Legio VIVIVI or the Empire of Machines. Wait, Nero's legion?
  10. kevnog

kevnog New Member

I have to say I like Pax Machina because I've been reading Dan Simmon's Hyperion books (the third and fourth specifically.). The Pax is a truly terrifying interstellar empire...and not a peaceful one at that! XD

also Pax Romana is the original use of this name i think...it refers to something like the order and peace created by Rome's military, diplomatic and economic strength.
  11. globalrelative

globalrelative New Member

Does -Pax Machinarum- mean something? That sounds terrific.
  12. asgo

asgo Member

I think, that's the only kind of peace they could envision at that time. ;)

since we are adrift in latin/roman waters...
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem [insert planet name here] esse delendam."
  13. l3tuce

l3tuce Active Member

Pax Machina is the best, but as long as it's not "the empire/imperium" it's cool.
  14. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Pax machina is, in my opinion, the only one that's really true but also has a taste of irony to it (peace through power). I like it. I don't really see an AI recalling a powerful empire think of itself as a war machine. It would see it as a means to accomplish a goal.
  15. xivai

xivai New Member

Legonis Machina is so badass sounding. Going to have to vote for that.
  16. tbthegr81

tbthegr81 New Member

Why cant Core and Arm return? :(
  17. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm just astounded at how many votes this has already.
  18. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

So... this is the Delta's Army? Or The Alpha's? Or the Imperial's? (the one from the Kickstarter)
  19. greppy

greppy Member

When I read "Machina", I'm reminded of Final Fantasy X.. "The First Empire" got my vote.
  20. kattelars

kattelars New Member

I went with "Imperium", as I like the way it indicates that there is no alternative, only them, makes them sound very imperialistic (obviously :p). Pax Machina doesn't really compel to me, machines shouldn't worry about silly things like peace. And I really can't go with Legonis Machina (the translation being wrong aside) 'cause the first thing I think of is "LEGO machines" and while that may not be inaccurate, it's not very intimidating. I have no real objections against "the first empire" except they aren't the first and they know it. other empires, even though they tried to "revive" and recall ancient empires were usually pretty aware when they weren't the first ( Nazi germany calling themselves the THIRD reich for example).

TLDR: Picked imperium, Legonis sounds like LEGO
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.