For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. skynet464

skynet464 New Member

Awww, it thinks its people.
  2. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

Wonderful work, the A.I puts finally some effort into their construction. Easy as pie until they start building land units, but a huge improvement none the less.
  3. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The AI is finally using some of its influence map data.

PA build 18.jpg

Above, the AI held back its bombers until it felt it had enough to do some damage.

Still early, but quite fun to watch.
  4. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Damn.............. half my build is gonna be fighters on patrol LOL:eek:

EDIT: Oh, and your profile picture is stretched....;)
  5. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

When I look at it in my profile it isn't stretched, only when I view it in the forum.
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Now, that is a lot of bombers.

PA build 19.jpg
    neapolitanfrenchfrie likes this.
  7. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Before last release i used to easily beat the AI, now with all these T2 bombers it takes me ages :D
    When i finally manage to bring my army to AI base, i have noticed AI com does not try to escape nor fighting. I guess it's not implemented yet :)
  8. ChillAAA

ChillAAA Member

Great to see this continuing on at breakneck pace Sorian. Helps some of us Aussies who don't have much time to wait around for games/people to play with.
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Get up at 6AM like I do. Lazy twat. ;P
  10. ChillAAA

ChillAAA Member

I'm up that early (kids), so im all work work work. No time to play!
  11. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

I dunno about you guys, but defending against the AI seems kind of easy at the moment. I've never personally lost to one, and it could do with getting out units quicker. My game lengths typically depend on me normally indecisive about how I want to kill it, while waiting for it to pull something amazing out of it's *** like Sorian's image there. As of yet, no dice.

I think it has something to do with the fact that it doesn't go land or navy at all and builds air alone. Granted I've gone completely Air/Sea, but I'm thinking about going 100% air next game and trying my odds. I also notice that every time I play a map, any 2nd AI that I add builds a single Pgen, then absolutely nothing else, even when he's next to metal deposits. He's not even stuck inside it, he's about 2 or 3 pgen distances away from the one he built.

Looking forward to when the AI gets even more advanced with tanks, bots, and naval. That'll be fun since I'm a huge naval fan.
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

1) The images I post our from our internal build, not the live build.
    2) The AI getting stuck bug is nav related and has been fixed internally.
  13. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

Oh, really? Well... I look forward to when you finish your build and release it. I think it's about time that the AI will start pulling ninjas and thinking more like a human.

Wait.. are ninjas human?

The patrolling fighter aircraft they have stationed at their base is also a low number to what it probably should be. I'm sure you've changed that by now, though. In fact, I can build twice, if not three times as many fighters as he does in the amount of time. Granted I'm not as good as some people, when I focus on one thing (air for this instance), I can put out a metric ton of units.
  14. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Can't wait for the next patch then :) could be some interesting games!
    Question: in some games I've managed to "lasso" the ai with fighters, for a more sandbox like game. Will that still be effective, or does the ai expansion continue without distance limits? I'm also guessing that with the ai waiting to attack, ALL fighter patrols will have to be constantly added to if you go with that defensive method as eventually the ai will attack with enough bombers..........
  15. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

Awesome Job Sorian
  16. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

So I played a couple games against the AI to prep for my first multiplayer match (which I lost. Promptly. It was sad.) and I gotta say, I am really loving the AI so far.

One thing I did try is spam them early, which the AI couldn't recover from. I noticed it seems to prefer air, so I rolled into their base with all anti-air and crippled his economy. Being the little kid with the magnifying glass and an ant hill that I am, I surrounded 1/2 of his base with anti-air towers. That's when I noticed a pattern. The poor sod tried to build an advanced aircraft factory. With an aerial builder. Which I blew up.

And then he did it again. And again. As near as I could tell, he was committed to that decision, poor thing.

What I'd love to see is some sort of decision branching if one tactic keeps on failing. Given how close he was to my anti-air towers, he should have first taken those out, or picked a different location to build his factory. I'd also like to see some sort of proximity detection so if I've got buildings really close, he'll avoid them.

The other thing is the dependance on aerial, which may or may not have already been addressed. I absolutely love the logic of him holding back until he has enough bombers to bring the pain, but it'd be grand if he had a harassment routine. Send some cannon fodder into my base and whatnot.

All in all, so far its been very enjoyable. I rather enjoyed fighting the AI which I didn't expect so early. Bravo!
  17. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

@sirstompsalot, I do believe that Sorian has said that current iteration of the AI doesn't touch ground units because the pathing/nav systems aren't ready for use.
    sirstompsalot likes this.
  18. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

Well, that's smashing info to have. Sorry for getting ahead of myself then!
  19. infowars

infowars Member

Can I just say this is really good, there's people like me who need AI opponents as when online, you end up loosing constantly to people that understand how to play to win, and those games are over very quickly. That sort of competative play really turns me off, so having an AI opponent that won't overwhelm me in the first 5-15 minutes of the game means I get a chance to play with late game stuff.
    GreenBag likes this.
  20. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Had a great game against the AI yesterday I got two easily but the third found me somehow without scouting I took out a thousand advanced bombers but because he'd been left alone. He could rebuild, my air defences slowly whittled down and every army I sent did some damage but he rebuilt in other areas whilst bombing the crap out of my army. I was impressed by how much he expanded