For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

nice^^
  2. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Yeah, there are some issues with finding a valid build spot, so when the AI went to build a pgen and it failed, I spawned one in the crater.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I never thought I'd see the day where I fear a non-cheating AI :confused:
    MikeyTheSoviet and EdWood like this.
  4. xosk00

xosk00 New Member

I haven't been able to play the game for a long time. But from what I have been seeing here, AWESOME work Sorian. I just can't wait to get a my butt kicked when the game and AI is completed. lol

Keep it up! :D
  5. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed that sometimes the AI doesn't build anything, or only builds a few buildings and then stops. No factories, no bombers, nothing? I posted a bug about it on the tracker, although it is probably already a known problem, but I searched the tracker and couldn't see a bug posted.

Quite a few times now, I've played games against three different AI opponents, haven't been attacked once, and when i scouted out the AI, they were all just standing idle.

Possibly to do with pathing, like if the commander gets himself stuck due to terrain or boxing himself in?

Link to the bug I created on the tracker.
    http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/index.php?do=details&task_id=1967&order=history&sort=desc
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

There are some known issues that can cause the AI to get stuck.

1) The commander can get stuck under something it is trying to build (nav issue).
    2) A builder can get stuck being told in one place that it can build something somewhere, when it actually can't (been working on this).
    3) There is a bug in the AI econ manager that was introduced when I added assisting that can cause the AI to get in a state where it does not realize it need metal or energy (fixed locally).
    4) The AI does not currently get to pick its starting location, so it can start somewhere where there is no metal spots.
  7. zihuatanejo

I see, must be one of those then! Thanks for your reply, can't wait to see how the AI progresses :)
  8. zihuatanejo

I just played another game against 3 AI opponents, exactly the same thing happened. Took some more screenshots too. Each AI was in an open area, so I can't see how it would be the nav issue. It just seems odd to me that this never happens when I play against just one AI opponent. I'm most curious!
  9. kryten42

kryten42 Member

Same thing here. After the previous build I had this for the first time and needed to reinstall the game, because in every AI game it was the same.
    After reinstall it was ok again. Now with the new build I seem to have that issue again. I need to test more though as I just did two games yet.

EDIT: next game was fine. Will have to see how often this happens
    Last edited: August 24, 2013
  10. zihuatanejo

It has happened for me a few more times, need to upload new screenshots to the bug tracker. I'm assuming it is to with the first item in Sorian's bullet list though - the commander is getting stuck under something it is trying to build (assuming you can't see that building though?).
  11. osirus9

osirus9 Member

I had my AI get stuck with a single AI opponent on a metal planet. The commander built a single pgen and then never moved again.
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Latest work:

The AI is now expanding outward to find more metal spots.

PA build 15.jpg
    And also builds more fabbers. :)

PA build 16.jpg

Coming right along.
  13. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Very nice. The progress so far is great to see. Can't wait to see what the next build brings us.
  14. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

15. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Build my minions, BUILD.

:D
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. nobrains

nobrains Member

I'm wondering if you have to start new game to test changes or if you can change the AI behavior while the server is running.
  17. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I can change the json data and it will reload.

Any builders that were using an old build item will continue to do so and that build item will get deleted once it is no longer in use. All other builders will use the new items.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think you should notice that it's not only about AI, but mostly for everything on client, but some changes result in crash.

PS: Don't you want to add assets auto reloading to Linux build? :rolleyes:
  19. unknown122

unknown122 New Member

would it be possible to add an AI editor in which the player spawns into a sandbox mode with a premade map that has most terrain features. the player could then set up defenses around this terrain according to how a player would set them up, you would save this as a template and the AI would use variations of this in a game.
  20. zihuatanejo

Thanks for posting the progress pics Sorian, looks good :)