For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The neural nets will hold up to balance changes and new units, but retraining will be required if mechanics change or bugs are fixed that could potentially alter a units effectiveness.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Will the AI send in new units through a teleporter automatically? If not, what must I do to enable this functionality?

Air is teleportable in Statera. Will the AI teleport it without me having to change anything or will I have to mess with it?

Teleporters can be built on water on Statera. Will the AI automatically build them on water? If so, how can I disable this without disabling it building teleporters altogether in order to avoid the AI teleporting thousands of tanks into the water?
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Quick question- what happens *if* you teleport tanks into the water? I'm curious...
  4. stuart98

I'd assume that they sink to the bottom and get stuck. If you do the opposite and teleport naval onto land the naval gets stuck.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Ah ok- but can it still fire? I think a leviathan would make a superb static turret!
  6. stuart98

I don't think so.

In other news, the absurd AI is less effective in Statera than the Relentless one is. When Absurd has 3 facs out relentless has only one, but the earliness of these facs cause absurd to stall its eco massively.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Does the AI understanding the commander can spawn anywhere setting? It seems to spawn in one MEX areas that look like they'd be part of a spawn zone, ignoring clusters of five and the like.
  8. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional. People would start complaining when they do a 6 AI FFA and every single AI commander spawns right next to the player.
  9. Quitch

I hope not, I'd hope that's controlled by difficulty level otherwise you may as well just give the player the victory screen right there. You don't want someone potentially spawning next to you you don't play spawn anywhere.
  10. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

So, change the AI difficulty settings?
  11. Quitch

sorian, thought you might be interested in this replay.

http://www.pastats.com/replay/10194244421646567905

It's your AI, with a 1.4 eco handicap, shutting down the current number 2 player on the ladder. He plays a number of games figuring out new builds for the new meta and eventually finds one which shuts down the AI, but still I thought it was impressive to see.

No build speed changes, no radar or vision cheats, just a 40% eco boost.

Damn impressive AI.

Looking at how he beat the AI, and the fact that early dox raiding is clearly coming back into fashion, you might want to reconsider your dox stance.

http://www.pastats.com/replay/7480635662444118553
    cptconundrum, cdrkf and cwarner7264 like this.
  12. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Well then, I guess I shouldn't feel so bad when I run into AI that size in galactic war.
  13. Quitch

Well you probably have a 40% eco bonus by then too. And a second commander :)
  14. Quitch

I feel the AI doesn't properly weight fabbers as targets. These are almost always the highest priority targets in an area, especially early on. The AI loves to use its bombers to attack MEXs, ignoring the fabber legging it into the distance.

Also the AI needs to commit with its short range units like infernos. It's OK to dance your other units, but the inferno either needs to attack or run, the dance the AI often has them do just a short way from a juicy target leads to them dying without achieving anything.
  15. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Also, fabbers farther away from the base are more valuable kills than fabbers closer to the base. Maybe that could be accounted for somehow.
  16. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Haven't played the game in a good while, so I decided to play some G.W.
    I gotta say, the AI in G.W. is a whole lot better than I remember it being. It's pretty damn ruthless.

I played two games so far where I started on the same planet as the AI, the first one was on a relatively small planet, and it began raiding my metal so quickly that I was basically forced to comm-rush him (which wasn't that hard because of the commander combat tech combined with the commander armour tech)
    Then the second one I was attacked so early and with such force that I was pretty much forced off of the planet. Good stuff!

On the other hand, if I could offer some criticism, the AI still doesn't really understand the concept of expanding to other planets quickly (I assume this would be part of the orbital neural net?). The games where I didn't start on the same planet as him I was able to get several nuclear missiles ready to launch before they even tried to expand to my planet, and by that time I was such a powerhouse that I was able to shoot down his expanding forces before they even had a chance to construct something.
  17. CryFisch

CryFisch Member

some ai problems in the new pte

- no landing on other planets
    - ai stops doing stuff for no reason
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  18. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

ya, the new AI is pretty gimped
  19. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Any more detail you can give me? I haven't made changes to the AI in a while, so if something broke it was something outside the AI.

So, details about the system you played on would be helpful. Perhaps some of the new stuff messes with the AI.
    lokiCML likes this.
  20. CryFisch

CryFisch Member

The System:
    1 Tropical Planet Spawn 5 Ai
    1 Moon Spawn 4 Ai
    1 Desert Spawn
    1 Metal
    1 Gas

The ai ist building an orbital launcher and some astraeus, but is not using them.
    Min 9-11 the ai builds 2 orbital launcher and astraeus but dont taks use of it (White ai, then yellow, blue...)
    I my last games, the ai will contiue building units, spamming its bast, and trys to nuke everyone.
    Planet engines will be build, but not used.