For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Sorian, is there a way to program the AI to micro large armies such that they can avoid defensive nukes? Maybe a parameter that indicates if the enemy player being attacked has nukes or not, then doing the micro part after.

Easiest way to do this is to split the army into 3-4 pieces once they get within a certain distance from the target, then converges on the defenses once they get within range. (at least, it is as a player).

Would definitely make it much harder to stop the AI late game.
  2. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

just had the AI walk his commander into range of a few bombarding ships (4 narwhals and an orca) and died.

self-preservation could use a little more tuning.
    knub23 likes this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

AI seems much better about producing T1 factories in this build, it got its first three up in what I thought was a reasonable timeframe. Still too slow to T2 tech, but I'm guessing that until balance settles down that isn't a priority.

Still much too turret happy early on though.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Would you please develop on this idea? Does it invest too many resources into turrets relative to mobile units, fabbers and factories?
  5. Quitch

You don't need a lot of turrets around a base early on, that's what the Commander is for, so putting resources into this instead of expansion, energy, further production, etc. is putting you behind.

The fabber to mobile unit balance is going to vary from patch to patch. It definitely doesn't assist enough on T2 factories and is far too air fabber happy. Air fabbers should make use of their speed to do remote work, keeping them in your base is both an inefficient use of resources (use a land fabber) and also begging for a couple of fighters to do a flyby and blow away your build power.
    Last edited: April 23, 2014
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  6. knub23

knub23 Active Member

Same for me. Three games against the AI and all won because of commander walking into my towers or attacking armies. First it made sense to stop some T1 but the com kept doing it till late game when he had to face T2 armies. So he slowly lost health and died at some point.
  7. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Once Commander neural nets go in the commander should stop doing stupid things.
  8. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Soon? :p
  9. stormingkiwi

Sorian, neural nets mean that the AI 'learns' right? It figures out how to deal with situations sensibly?
    Murcanic likes this.
  10. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Neural networks will learn how to handle whatever they are being trained to handle. For example, the land neural networks have been trained on how to respond to enemy encounters. There has only been a light amount of training because I have to re-train any time bugs get fixed that make units more effective (aiming code fixes, nav fixes, etc). I will do the in depth training shortly before launch.
    cdrkf, Remy561, Murcanic and 3 others like this.
  11. Quitch

12. fraxtion

fraxtion Member

The AI uses Halleys. I just found out the bad way.
    Literally the last second before his commander got satellite-sniped by me, he sent his homeworld to mine.
    He just suicided on me.
    My only thoughts were "AI did WHAT?!"
    mjshorty, stuart98 and cptconundrum like this.
  13. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Fun Fact: If you destroy a large part of the (easy) AI's base, without killing it, it will literally give up.
    It doesn't blow up its commander or anything, its commander just stops moving.
    I haven't tested it on normal or hard yet, but it's kind of funny to see happen.
  14. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Just noticed the AI doing something odd.

in the current PTE build, I attempted to invade the AI's planet, though was eventually pushed off. This left a whole bunch of anchors in orbit however. The AI kept on sending hoards of ground and air units to the location, being completely devastated by the anchors with no chance whatsoever of succeeding in killing the anchors. It appear that the anchors were being calculated as a threat, however it was sending the completely wrong units to kill them.

As funny as it was to watch hoards of units get ripped apart by a dozen anchors, it probably shouldn't be like that.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. stormingkiwi

It does it with anything in orbit. It will send a horde of bombers to deal with your radar satellites.
  16. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Known issue, that should be fixed locally.
    jtibble likes this.
  17. superouman

superouman Post Master General

In 64498, AI builds structures on metal spots.
    pa 2014-05-05 22-08-14-93.jpg
    jtibble likes this.
  18. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

If the overall metal density is high enough, they will. Was having issues where if the metal density was really high they would't build anything at all. Expect more tweaks to this.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

They're not going to put down their guns and start a mining enterprise, are they?
    fraxtion and stormingkiwi like this.
  20. stormingkiwi

When can we expect to see control systems in place for the AI/pathfinding

(E.g. I played a very cracky desert planet. The AI sent all of its units to get stuck on a crack in the shortest distance between our bases. They accumulated there for the entire game.)