For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Did the latest patch change the AI commanders? They seem much less rambo.
  2. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I am laughing in my office right now :)
    MrTBSC, stormingkiwi and tommybananas like this.
  3. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Oh god. It has been confirmed. THE AI WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD

quick, prepare an astreus and flee to the moon!
    Geers likes this.
  4. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

Awesome !

I presume this is part of unit AI to avoid micro management...
  5. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

This is really impressive. And I actually kind of agree that it would be nice to have this as a unit ai since Planetary Annihilation is the "ultimate macro game".
    Although one might argue that microing is an important part of the gameplay...but if we fight on a planetary scale we can't micro all of our troops at once.

Well...it's impressive either way, no matter whether it will make our lives easier or harder :p

Edit: Just noticed this is "backers only". So us Early Access buyers may not respond to the mighty ai improvements ?
    Last edited: March 6, 2014
  6. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Backers in this sense just means those who have pre-ordered PA. If you've bought it then this forum is for you. In the earlier stages of alpha and beta Uber used this forum for secret previews and such but that's mostly over now.
  7. Quitch

Wasn't this forum opened to everyone back in December? I can't be bothered to log out and check :)
  8. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Nope, just tested it.
    Quitch likes this.
  9. thelordofthenoobs

Ok, this is good to know :)
    So I shall continue to stare in awe at the ai improvements :p
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. Quitch

The new AI micro stuff is pretty nifty :)

Is the use of orbital fabbers a new addition?
    stuart98 likes this.
  11. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Nope, that has been there for a while, but they get there quite a bit faster now. Still have more plans to get the AI better with its eco.
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

One thing I'm curious about your AI Sorian: The neural nets look like they will be targeted at 'squad' behaviour. As in making the most of the units the AI has already made. What are your plans on the higher level functionality of the AI. Obviously at the moment the AI appears to be following a set plan, what I'm hoping for is something to allow it to make some more complex decisions- for example when the AI scouts me and identifies I'm building T2 air, will it be possible for it to determine that it should build more AA structures of T2 air of it's own to stop me being able to rush it with gunships? Can neural nets be used effectively for this type of decision or do you have another mechanism in mind to allow the AI to react better to decision the player makes?

Edit: Also the micro you've demonstrated looks very good- I'm thinking the AI is going to be very hard to best in an up close 'knife fight' scenario with ground units!
  14. Quitch

He mentioned in his section of the 11 hour livestream that it doesn't have strategic thinking yet when talking about scouting your nuke and reacting to that, so it sounded like it will.
    cdrkf likes this.
  15. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I'm still curious as to thether or not we will get this squad ai in our own units. I don't want the ai to have strategic control, but letting it handle the micro would even the odds for players that just can't click as fast. The only reason I can think of to not allow it would be sim performance.
  16. Quitch

Not a chance IMO.
  17. thelordofthenoobs

Well..one could argue that microing your units is fun...and it is a strategic decision whether to micro your troops or whether you care for other stuff.

But having them do it on their own would be quite cool and make the game more focused on macromanagement which is a good thing, too.

Not sure what's better.
  18. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I'm against artificial stupidity, so I would be heavily in favour of such a system.
  19. Alwaysprime

Alwaysprime New Member

So the AI is coming along really nicely, though here are some comments from recent play (March 3) 1. mid game the AI commander gets a bit domb-*** daring and attacks my front lines by him self. 2. its attack should scale in size more aggressively, so that by min 5 the group size is t1 10-20 and by min 10 t1 40-50 + a few 2t, and so on tell it pushing out really big groups of T2 tech. 3. it does a great job of nuc'ing and using the sxx. Cheers
  20. geno12

geno12 New Member

New build lists "General Improvements" to the AI. Any thing good hidden in those improvements? Maybe some less suicidal commanders?
    stuart98 and LavaSnake like this.