For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Shhhhhh! Sorian doesn't need more help making the ai even stronger, for the sake of everyone we need a few exploits against the ai! Haha...

Perhaps we should start a secret thread sharing exploits and weaknesses.... 'Backers united against the Ai' No Sorian allowed lol (ps sorry Sorian)
    stuart98 and LavaSnake like this.
  2. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

When the AI starts hurling planets at me, I'm going to be very sour.
    stuart98, LavaSnake and cdrkf like this.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Sorian, in which way neural network are going to improve AI ?
    Is it for making it smarter ? Does neural network stuff simply replaces AI behaviour allready implemented, or is it to be considered as an addition that will make AI even smarter ? Is it possible to have the neural network adaptative ? I remember the game developped by M.A.S.A (conflict zone), for which AI was relying on an adaptative neural network and was learning from experience. This way AI could change its behaviour and the player could not afford to use the same strategy twice. I remember it was quite funny to watch AI not making the same mistakes. Is it possible to have a generic Neural network which is used for global behaviour, and then having an additional layer learning from mistakes and adapting the global behaviour ? Or do you intend to have all behaviours learnt from the very beginning ? Thanks.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

5. Quitch

Sorian, you said back in the (January?) livestream last year that you weren't overly keen on the idea of the player directing the AI with pings in team games. I was wondering what you have planned in this area. I love offline play and I love team games, but the problem with an AI teammate is that there's no coordination between you because you don't know what it's doing and it doesn't know what your plan is.

The like the way AIs like the Warcraft 3 mod AMAI handle it by the AI telling you which strategy it's pursuing (I'm going ghouls and whatevers), when and where it's attacking, etc. I'd like the AI to communicate with me so I can work with it, but also give me some means to if not direct it, perhaps weight its decisions. For example, pinging my base for help when under attack, then the AI tells me whether it's going to come over or not.
  6. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

That makes me think of an awesome uber or a mod could put in where its an semi permanent (delete-able later on) colored zone area command ping, where this area has defenses, or this is where the fighter patrol line is, or an army is moving around in this area or a commander was last spotted around here. not only could these make it so you can help the ai teammate be more useful but also in normal multiplayer games or even solo just marking it down for yourself or teammates could help with coordination.
  7. Quitch

Well I'd hope that AI wouldn't need you to mark that. It has the ability to spot threats already, it should simply be using your LOS as well, and hopefully incorporating your losses, etc. into its threat map.
  8. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Okay ya that would be even better xD If all this happens, It will be fun to see the AI give me a proper fight :)
  9. doud

doud Well-Known Member

OK read it, but this does not tell me
    1) if the current AI is here as a temporary replacement for neural network (looks like it is)
    2) until which limit the neural network can handle complex strategic situations
    3) The internal of neural network : Many people seem to use neural network as if they know it works, but they can't explain why it works : I can't understand why the way neural network AI work make them good at handling AI.
  10. Quitch

1. sorian is currently manually inputting values in place of neural net calculations.
    3. Sorian would need to explain I guess, though I think that's what those links do (especially the video). The neural net is only as good as its inputs and outputs though, and the rest is brute forcing the values.
  11. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Neural networks do not replace the whole AI, just small parts of it.

For example: Currently platoons use threat values when deciding where to attack and what to attack. This will later be replaced by a neural network. Using a neural network will make it a lot easier for a platoon to determine when it is outmatched and should run away.

Platoons running away and regrouping is probably going to be the biggest noticeable difference once neural nets go live. Instead of seeing the AI just constantly push units into your base you will see the platoons react and pull back once they see the commander getting closer, or avoiding the group of units you are trying to flank them with.
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Giving they have the intel I assume?
  13. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Of course. The AI does not have a mechanism to allow cheating yet.
  14. Quitch

*cough*economymodifier*cough*
  15. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

That is a handicap, not cheating.
  16. Quitch

I'll have you know I just spluttered all over my keyboard, monitor, and my own face :p
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Will we be seeing AI build naval anytime soon?
  18. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

A quick question- I watched your presentation on the neural nets implementation for Supcom 2, and I remember you mentioned that the neural nets were fixed once trained due to sync issues in the game. It's occurred to me that this may not be an issue for PA- given that the AI is run on the server... Does this mean your are planning on, or even considering, allowing the neural nets to 'learn' as the AI plays more games?
  19. Quitch

In a livestream last year sorian mentions the possibility of letting players enable the neural net training mode, but I think that would be for their own servers rather than the Uber one as I suspect it increases the CPU load.
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. moldez

moldez Active Member

wow man .. that makes me tremble .. the GIANT UBER Skynet .. with the experience gaint from a billion games .. woah :eek:
    iron420 and nawrot like this.