Flat maps?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ozeo, April 6, 2015.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I thought that too. 2d maps are cool too though, but a lot of 3d wrap maps of 2d variants from SupCom feel very flat. All they are, is a flat map, mirrored and wrapped. Pole to pole, spawn metal, only 3 paths through the field, VERY flat.

You mean, making a size 3000 and cutting it down with subtractive brush until it has a flat face? Yeah, 70% of the camera roam room will be empty space. THAT is HARD to fix dev side. It would be best to use the pole of a planet if possible and just play the map with pole lock on. or one of the planet's equator faces with pole lock. It would be easier to play than you'd think.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

if people realy were to come for this game only because of flat maps then i would have to seriously question what was the point in making it like this in the first place ... to me all that it shows is that those people are simply unwilling to try something new but just to hide behind their save same old " tried and true" ways of gameplay ... recognision it deserves you say ? then you gotta accept how the game is meant to be played ...

there would have been an option for flat map players mind you ... but the people decided against it ...
    Last edited: April 9, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Hehe you make me think...The spherical maps contributes a great deal to what makes this game unique.

Then explain to me wy PA dead?

No one play it no more,and now that i like it ??????
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I don't know. Maybe people don't like unique? :)

In any case, it doesn't feel dead to me. I never have much trouble finding other players. It may just be timezone-related though as I tend to play in the evenings (in the EST timezone). From what I gather that's the peak. Having PA chat enabled helps too to find fellow players. It comes with PA Stats or through https://palobby.com/
    Nicb1 and igncom1 like this.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

And if you only play SP like me, then no game ever dies.

That is for you overly dramatic MP guys.
    stuart98, websterx01, cdrkf and 3 others like this.
  6. warbaque

warbaque New Member

I also think that flat maps or disc worlds would be a great addition to PA.
  7. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

PA isn't dead but it's a shame it isn't thriving.
    stuart98 and thetrophysystem like this.
  8. nuketf

nuketf Active Member

if you want flat maps play a different RTS
    stuart98 and blacksword13 like this.
  9. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

PA has problems being on a sphere is not one of them though...
    MrTBSC, stuart98, cdrkf and 1 other person like this.
  10. thetrophysystem

That is really the good thing about the situation. In my opinion, those MP guys deserve it as a general group too. They also deserve throwing away 60 dollars every 3 months on something regurgitated from the last year's same gamelist.
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

Yeah having a dead multiplayer is great for PA :^)
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Ok here's where I have to step in guys.

I don't think your hate against multiplayers is warranted. either of you.

also you equate the multiplayers from here to the CoD kids. I'm sorry but that comparison just isn't possible. Or if it is then why do you forget the CoD kids include SinglePlayers only as well?

difference being that you're saying it's "our fault" and "we deserved it" in the specific case of PA, which is a problem.

We're dealing with serious preconceptions here.

If I understand correctly, you think that all multiplayer gamers are the same kind? that there's no game category to them contrary to singleplayers? that they don't have taste? that they don't play games as much?
    Last edited: April 23, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. thetrophysystem

I say things because I am a ****. Get over it.

That being said, I am saying that in the most stereotypical of the situation. Specifically, torwards these people. If you are like I trying to cling to the long lasted elderly life of a very obscure game, then you are not what I was directed at.

However, it IS that mentality that is killing multiplayer games. You obviously agree with me on this, because you are defending the multiplayer community of OLD games with VETERAN communities, not whatever newb fanbase keeps wandering to like a pack of nomads. Excuse me, the kurds are nomads and they are folk I sympathize with and wish better upon. Wandering newb fanbases are more like packs of wild shiftless hobos. Not regular hobos. Wild shiftless ones.

I honestly play the hell out of Call of Duty singleplayer, not just modern warfare either but the classic call of duty ww2 games as well. And I still offer no apology to those guys, they allow themselves to get gouged, the applaud the series gouging them, they want to be gouged, they likely deserve to be gouged. The moment they start thinking independently and start trying a wider variety of games and sticking to the independent editions playerbase for longer than 7 months, they wouldn't let it happen to them anyway, they would say that it isn't worth it and they are more interested in this RTS instead of a shooter for a change.
    Don't feed the troll. She knows the game isn't dead. She is just calling it dead to suit her arguement.

ANYONE that says "hehe" before stating a game is dead, is likely in it for the thrill they get from hurting the feelings of other people on the internet, and/or the benefits it has on their own game/community. Which, don't get me wrong, I am glad this game wasn't just an update of FAF, because I don't want us to steal their community, I want this to be played as it's own thing. They are old, they deserve their community, they aren't ever going to get another one so may the one they have last forever if the good Lord will allow it.
  14. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I make one light hearted joke......
    stuart98 and websterx01 like this.
  15. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

[sarcasm] This has never been discussed before. I am truly inspired by your insight and originality. [/sarcasm]
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

Actually guys, I just realized that flat maps ARE actually already possible!

Some people make a metal world in DirectEdit (look it up on this forums) and make a one sided planet, you guys should check it out... using DirectEdit it is possible to make a 'flat' map...
  17. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

Rip Pa 2009-2015.gif

Oh and guys PLEASE stop talking about PA being dead, it's kind of pointless. I think it's better to find another way to make PA more attractive to other players. If you guys do keep talking about it you will drive people mad off the forums, and possibly off the game. Maybe we can discuss how to stop that. Go to another thread and discuss it so that you don't poison all the other ones. (INCLUDING THIS ONE [HINT HINT])
    Last edited: April 25, 2015
    proeleert likes this.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it still is incorrect in the most part.

take RenegadeX for example,

or TA .... it isn't surviving.

hard to believe but it's an actively played game. more so than certain titles from this year.

Spring? even more so.

And these kind of games can only claim this due to their multiplayer base.

so "muliplayers" aren't the problem. there's no way around it. It has to be formulated otherwise.
    wilhelmvx likes this.
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

What about Starcraft? Or the fps variant of multiplayer over single- CoD? Nobody seems to care about singleplayer in those.

Edit: Ohh or CS:GO, a game with no single player at all yet second highest played game on Steam.
    wilhelmvx and thetrophysystem like this.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

There's a reason huge sums of money are spent on the single-player modes for both CoD and Starcraft.