Fixing the Grenadier T1 dual-laser turret death march

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by coldboot, May 7, 2015.

1. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I did some sandboxing with the Grenadier today, and I found some interesting things about its behaviour:

If you order a Grenadier to attack an enemy unit, it will move past the border of its own weapon range by 10%. In other words, the Grenadier will go 10% of its range further than is necessary to hit the target. This behaviour seems to be consistent with all offensive mobile land units.

If you order a bunch of Grenadiers to move close to the border of their weapon range in relation to a target, they will usually move to the very border of their weapons range to hit the target. In other words, they won't move further than they need to, and start shooting. In this case Grenadiers can actually kill a turret without taking casualties, but you have to watch them while moving with "CTRL" held down, and stop them just in time.

The reason why Grenadiers get chewed up by T1 dual-laser turrets is because the turret's range is more than 90% of the Grenadier's range.

So there are a few solutions to this problem:
    1. Make the distance a unit puts between itself and a target configurable for each attacking unit, and set it to less than 5% of weapon range for Grenadiers
    2. Make that distance configurable for each attacking unit and target type combination. So for less harmful things, let Grenadiers move closer
    3. Just slightly increase the Grenadier's range because it's such an easy thing to do

And I'm sure you can think of a few more ways to do it.

What do people think?
    nateious, zihuatanejo and elodea like this.
  2. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

It's a problem with pathing. Units are disregarding the distance they need for breaking, based on their acceleration and breaking speed.

Not a balancing problem, but just a simple bug.
  3. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Are you sure it has to do with braking? I don't think a bug in breaking would put a sheller 10% of its range too close to the target.

It looks like a fixed 10% of range for all units that helps in the case where there are a lot of units trying to fire on one target.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I guess if it is the brake rate it should be "fixable" by setting the break rate of a unit to an extremely high value. Though I also don't think it is the brake rate. I mean I never noticed units have a longer brake distance. They usually just stop instant.
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

The break values are ridiculously high in my honest opinion!

(And so are the acceleration values, grumble grumble :p )
    ace63 likes this.
  6. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Anyway, for whatever reason it is, every unit gets too close to their target.

@mkrater: Is this high on the list of things to fix, at least for Grenadiers specifically?
  7. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Yup, this is something that's on the list.
    bsergent, nateious, redpiner and 4 others like this.
  8. redpiner

redpiner New Member

Thank goodness. I'm sick of my hornets moving into the attack range of galata turrets! Microing those things is a real pain.

While you're at it, we could use a UI/hotkey that displays the range of (known) enemy units and structures.