Fixing the Balance

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by mered4, October 21, 2014.

1. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

But a nuke doesn't kill a commander, and that has 12500 health?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The one were nukes got scaled up into stupidity. They were so much fun back when they did not one hit commanders :S
    igncom1 likes this.
  3. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Nukes do only 33% dmg to commanders
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Commanders have a specific armor type that negates damage by certain weapons, including nukes.

Actually, I think only nukes.
  5. towerbabbel

That makes sense I suppose.

Learn something every day.
    mered4 likes this.
  6. cola_colin

lol, if WYSIWYG is gone like that anyway we should reintroduce a few other things as well :S
    ace63 and elodea like this.
  7. elodea

elodea Post Master General

It's not too much. There's only armour damage reduction for uber cannon on commanders and structures, and nukes on commanders.

But in principle i agree with you
    mered4 likes this.
  8. cola_colin

Having WYSIWYG in 99% of the game makes it even worse for the last %: People don't expect there will be any hidden multipliers. If the whole game is full off them people at least expect them to be there.
    Planktum and elodea like this.
  9. mered4

Well, the commander survives one nuke just barely. That's been there forever.

I''ve been racking my brain and just cannot see a situation where this can be made WYSIWYG without breaking the gameplay.

Oh! I know what this problem is called.

Power Creep.

:D

it's one of the problems with having upgradey T2.
  10. cola_colin

I though a while ago commanders would survive a nuke hit because nukes did maybe 10k damage in general. They also were way cheaper and could actually be used in 1vs1. Now they are as boring as FA nukes.
  11. mered4

I'd love to have you and custard or maybe Elodea and you play some 1v1s with the Uberbalance mod. Maybe in a few hours when my guests leave lol.

I made nukes cheap enough where I THINK they are usable in a 1v1. I'm just not sure because I'm the only one who has used them, you know?
    cola_colin likes this.
  12. cola_colin

I understand the feeling :)
    I probably won't be around to play later though.
  13. mered4

I'm here now, if you guys wanna hop in :)
  14. towerbabbel

Holkins makes me sad. :(

I remember fondly the artillery from SupCom, and it feels to me to be a form of gameplay that is almost never used in PA.

I think the main problem is the Holkins. Even with the price drop in your mod it still is a problematic unit. It is not only a problem of balance, but of role and visibility as well.

You dropped the price to 6 000 metal, which doesn't sound that bad, but the Holkins uses the energy system with a drain of 20 000 energy each tick. This means the total price for the Holkins is 6 000 metal + 4 times 2 500 metal in T2 power to keep it fed, for a total of 16 000 metal. That's way too much for what it does.

What it does is 5 000 damage three times a minute. It shoots once every 20 seconds! DPS wise, this isn't great for the price, but there is an even bigger problem. With such a low rate of fire it is very unlikely that you will even notice a Holkins firing in a hectic game.

We already have longer ranged defensive structures in the Catapult and Pelter. What the role of the Holkins should be is as a offensive artillery building.

What I would suggest as changes to the is first a big drop in energy drain to something like 5 000 energy, so that it can be fed by a single T2 power. Then the total cost would be 8 500 metal. Then greatly increase the rate of fire, to say once every five seconds. That would still be a lower rate of fire than most everything else in the game, but a high enough rate of fire for it to be noticed. Then a drop in damage would be needed to keep DPS sane, to something in the range of 1 000-1 500. Finally, increase the range to something insane, like 1 000, to make sure it can reach enemy bases even on bigger planets.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I was fine with it until this point.

I personally will never, ever accept a range increase to the artillery of supcom.

The other stuff is fine, but artillery being map crossing? Nope.
  16. towerbabbel

1 000 range is nowhere near the cross map artillery we have in SupCom. Its current 600 range is the same as that of a T1 radar. 1 000 range is still less than a T2 radar, but its long enough away to shoot at nearby proxy bases (if people ever started to build such again) and to bombard from proxy bases into the opponents main base.
  17. mered4

I'll look into it. :D
  18. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I agree with some sentiments.

The power drain is too much. A few thousand would be fine. 6k would be noticeable.

The current damage is fine, only considering it's drop and price and speculation of changing it's energy drain. Building 3 holkins will become powerful, but will be capped at massive power consumption. Actually, in light of "stacking", make it 8-10k energy drain, so having 3 would still be 24-30k energy drain.

Making it the range of t2 radar makes sense, as that should naturally be it's reach given the only thing to maintain targetting. MISREAD EDIT: T2 radar is actually over 1000, 1000 is a good start :p

Making it like that also is to be kept in mind to be a game ender. 3 holkins would destroy enough structures often enough not to be competable, let alone the odds of doing critical damage to a commander. However, it sinks your economy before reaching that point, but gives some sort of bonus before reaching that point. Still as expensive as the Uberbalance nuke, so it is still a flavor of choice.
    Last edited: November 6, 2014
    mered4 likes this.
  19. mered4

Updated the Holkins:

Range: 1000
    E/tick: 5000
    Energy requirement: 25000
    RoF: 0.2
  20. mered4

UPDATE:

The holkins is now awesome. Wow.

But it might be OP. Gonna try rushing one in a FFA, see how that goes.