Fixing the Balance

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by mered4, October 21, 2014.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Things different from that game that I either had to fix or changed for balance reasons:

Adv Veh. fac now has health. ;)
    Energy plants now produce 10% less energy. I noticed we floated the entire game - which means it's TOO easy to get the energy necessary. (noticed this in a few games before this, it's not isolated).
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Good changes.
  3. mered4

4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Also Awesome Projectiles works with it now.
    mered4 likes this.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Anyone know if the grenadier is still too much dps per metal value? The more I watch videos, the more I think they could stand less damage, and I am trying to wrap my mind around because they often are disposable so a one-time use doesn't stand much a nerf from rof decrease if it has initial damage.

It leads me to think, it got damage nerf. It could use a bit more cost. No more than 100, and if it had 2/3 the tank's damage, I think tanks with their health are worth it to use.

Then again, that is if you take advantage of their survivability with combat fabbers or such. Speaking of, do combat fabbers cost like 300-400 yet? They don't do anything besides pump metal into already built stuff, so their cheap cost won't matter besides getting them used.
  6. mered4

The Combat fabbers have 300 cost. Grenadiers (at least for now) don't seem to have much of a chance against tanks - though maybe inferno + grenadiers v tanks + inferno would be an interesting discussion.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  7. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

still testing?
  8. klovian

klovian Member

I'm thinking maybe increasing the fire speed of the grenadier and decreasing damage so they are sure to get some damage off before they pop. Make for an interesting splash unit.
  9. mered4

That would actually reduce the damage they do before popping, methinks - mostly because they pop instantly, and only have a chance to get off a single shot before doing so. What you suggest would actually increase their DPS.
  10. klovian

klovian Member

Maybe... What I was thinking is that normally they only get 1 shot off, and a lot of the time the damage is wasted on one target that dies because their projectiles are so slow. If the units are in motion they will lob a bunch of shots and spread damage around. Maybe...

Can't you also adjust their turn speed to make them shoot faster initially. And if they are still getting banged up, maybe play with their rang slightly. Of course if they start performing well, would have to adjust their cost.

It is a lot to do, but THUDS were so cool in TA and useful. Would like the grenadiers to have some strategic importance besides "shooting over walls"

Edit: Trophy did mention this a couple of posts ago... Now that i'm going back and reading :p
    These changes would only make them good vrs groups of units, and static structures, anything mobile would still avoid getting pummeled for the most part. Maybe..
    Last edited: October 27, 2014
    mered4 likes this.
  11. thetrophysystem

Actually, overkill is a problem since they often do only live to get 1 shot off. However, they are cheap and effective, since you need half as many of these as dox to kill a structure for instance and a few of these are cheaper than as many ants and move faster to hit unprotected structures.

So overkill is alright, and besides that you can migitate it a bit by using a small area attack on a group of units to divide up the attack orders in 1 command-issued.

It doesn't need to be too much like the tank, given it's low health, low cost, and still acceptable damage, it can just be used like a land bomber, to quickly cheaply dump some damage onto some structures or tanks with the catch being not keeping the units more than likely.

Unlike tanks, which take a while to mass and to travel, but your tanks will likely endure while they dig into a base, especially with 300 metal combat fabs.
  12. mered4

And right now grenadiers are OP. I'll be making some adjustments in a few hours. :D

Probably their cost.
  13. thetrophysystem

Think grenadiers could use 15-20 more metal cost, and ants could use just enough health to survive another ant/grenadier's shell with 10 health left with no additional metal buff just to make them slightly tankier/better than bots?

There was something else I was thinking of, but forgot... trying to remember... oh yeah, commander land weapon, double rate of fire and half damage per shot, possibly increase splash radius by like 12?

OH YEAH, I REMEMBER MY SUGGESTION I HAD FOR YOU. Radar, radar always has been free and easy locations of everything. It is like half a 400 radius planet and all a radius 250. Reduce range of a pelter +50? Currently, t1 radar is the range of t2 artillery. Then, make t2 radar cheaper but consume as much power, and make the range of a holkins +50? Possibly hand some specifications to orbital radars as well? Like arkyd having vision of t3 turret (since it can travel overhead anyway), adv radar sat having vision of t1 artillery and slightly less radar than t2 radar, and serverely reduced astraeus vision range, and SXX only having radius 20 radar and no vision?
  14. mered4

Wanna hop into TS and discuss? Need some clarification.
  15. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Just a request for your stat changes document. Would you mind putting in a change chart somewhere? Just something where you can put increased (stat) by (amount) without me having to go and look at the two stats to see how different they are. It would also offer a more concise read for those who don't want to filter between all the values.

EDIT: Never mind, i was reading it wrong.
    mered4 likes this.
  16. mered4

Latest Change:

Adv. Energy Plant Cost reduced to 2500 from 2800. Efficiency rating improved to 2.0 from 1.78.

Comparable to the T1 energy plant's efficiency rating of 2.28
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That's still more than 10% better on t1
    Does the t2 one have substantially more hp or something at least? Or maybe have it add storage or something.
  18. mered4

It has 10k hp.
    While the T1 plant has 3k currently.

So, I need to give the T2 Energy a bit more of an advantage. Increasing health to 17500.
  19. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Does this mean a T2 Energy will survive a nuke? That would be a really interesting advantage.
  20. mered4

I believe so. Energy nukes would be less effective, for sure......Interesting........

EDIT: NEGATIVE. Nukes do 33k damage. What planet am I on....