Fixing the Balance

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by mered4, October 21, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Well, edited last post clarifying about t2 possibly, I didn't understand your current thoughts of t2.

And air, mostly t2 needs tweaking, t1 hummingbirds are very spammable though for their power, t1 bombers too which make t1 bombers very hit or miss and a game maybe shouldn't be a win or loss depending on if a unitblob happens to work or not, and then t2 bomber and kestrel needs a mild variety change, a related change is possibly a rate of fire reduction (energy based cooldown charge possibly) for the gil-e anti-missile so they do not defeat the fire rate of a tactical missile unit 1:1, and possibly consider a bigger change by giving the kestrel more health and less damage as a roletype.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Q0CoZyhO655Jj8qxpfrLdslAs/edit#gid=1360426807

I updated the spreadsheet with the unit's intended roles. Wanna come on TS and give me your thoughts?
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Aww I always liked the dox AA, but yeah if it's really causes that much of a problem.
    :( sadpanda.jpg
  4. mered4

Why not have a Stinger with the same cost, speed, etc as dox and just add it back in?
  5. igncom1

I dunno, I kinda liked the idea of dox being a kind of do all, kinda infantry, not great at anything however.

But yeah, so be honest Id love to have the dox switch one of it's gun arms for a AA weapon or something, so it would have one machine gun, and one AA...thingie, like a pistol or something.

But really, as the dox started, making them a little slower, and making their weapon turrets turn slower (So they cannot aim fast enough to hit small amounts of air) would be what I would have done.

So do dox can shoot air, but not like single bombers and such before they get hit, also being slower as to prevent them from dodging most enemy's like artillery, towers and tanks.

But that's just me, and I don't play all that competitively so, Im probably not that good a judge of balance.
  6. mered4

Just because you don't play competitively doesn't mean you aren't a good judge of balance. Your input is welcomed.

Right now, my vision for the gunship involves it being useful. Bots with AA make Gunships almost useless.
  7. igncom1

*Nods* yeah I know what you mean.

Even with a few dox I found them going toe to toe with gunships.

Although, gunship weapons are like, really kinda meh from what I have found, taking a lot of time to kill each dox, which they had a hard time even hitting.

Even if a few gunships focusing on infernos is actually rather nice.

Are you planning on the bust damage route, or the dps route?
  8. mered4

I'm going for the Low DPS, tanky HP route. They'll be able to walk into some AA and still do DPS, which gives them a specific role that doesn't involve cleaning house as soon as you get them.
  9. igncom1

Be careful about giving them too much HP.

Supcom2's gunships have left that impression on me that tanky gunships aren't all they are cracked up to be, especially when you use hundreds of them to blitz through AA before they get shot down.
    mered4 likes this.
  10. mered4

UPDATE:

x1 Laser Towers have a smaller cost and a better RoF.
    Grenadiers now cost the same as dox (testing, probably not final).
  11. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Dox need to shoot air unless you intend to add a new AA bot type.

I would rather play with their turret rotation rate. Knocking that down a little bit could severely impair their AA ability without totally removing it.
  12. mered4

Reasons Dox AA is a bad idea:

1: It encourages mass Dox mid-late game to effectively neutralize any air presence.
    2: Bots don't need to shoot air. They are Raiders meant to kill undefended targets.
    3: Dox as raiders should not be viable base attackers without some serious support. Use your support.
  13. mered4

UPDATE:

Advanced has now been flattened under the metal casing of my keyboard in the name of sanity!

Dear God that was complicated
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I just think, given a test, that spinners, AA towers, and hummingbirds, are viable choices of AA to spend money on, establishing the factory included.

I play, and I just go vehicle first and go AA, air first and go AA, or bot first and use maybe a missle tower combined with a commander for a very short time until my second factory is air/vehicle and THEN establish AA.

All viable choices.

And in that game, a lot of air was used.

And in that game, dox were used.

And in that game, ants, spinners, grenadiers, combat fabbers, the works, were used. We also reached t2, mostly because of turtle players but even the non-turtle players reached useable t2.

Now, in that sense, this works better than Uber balance already in the form of variety.

However, it wasn't entirely a competitive test, but in that regard speculation doesn't count until a competitive test proves it or not. Also, t2 wasn't changed, and he just changed t2, now t2 is even more easily reached but doesn't give massive bonuses. So then, you have all of THOSE units to use as well. So then you have the dox, grenadier, ant, inferno, combat fabber, hummingbird, bumblebee, and hopefully, gil-e, slammer, bluehawk, vanguard, leveler, sheller, hornet, kestrel, and maybe, just maybe even pelican, all living in harmony in average games.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the whole gang every once in a while, instead of that one single guy you see every day? That friend get's boring after a while. The dox got boring after a while. It isn't OP persay, it was just the easiest thing to use so the game is based around it and it's interaction with the bumblebee and ant. Some units were useless, making them strong enough to use is great. Some units didn't fit the dox usage, dox change fixes that. Some units just needed a reason to use.
  15. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

The slammer has the same DPS as a Dox? That's an, um, interesting change.
  16. mered4

It's twice the DPS of the dox, I believe.

Dox: RoF 1.0, Damage 10
    Slammer: RoF 2.0, Damage 10
  17. towerbabbel

Oh, right. The whole two weapons thing.
    mered4 likes this.
  18. mered4

It's finished, folks. Ready for testing and evaluation. All the pieces are in place, now we just need to see what's OP and what is just fine :)
  19. towerbabbel

How do you install a server mod? I want to see if I can try it out with my brother.
  20. mered4

1. Download the .zip
    2. Go to USERNAME/AppData/Local/Uber Entertainment/server_mods/ and create a new folder called com.pa.Advanced.Rebalance
    3. unzip the file to that new folder
    4. If you do not have PA Mod Manager, download it here.
    5. Once you have it installed, open up the Server Mods tab, and check "The Community UberBalance: Final"
    6. Start up the game, make sure that anyone wanting to join sets the modding filter on the lobby to ANY.
    towerbabbel likes this.