First person direct control

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by gaynessteel, April 22, 2013.

?

Do you think first person direct control of a unit is a good idea?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. No

101 vote(s)
    84.9%
  1. thapear

thapear Member

Men of War did it really well, but this simply is not a similar game. I do not believe direct control benefits this game at all.
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Every time I read stuff like this I think you guys think we have an unlimited budget. Even if we wanted to do such a feature where do you think it would get prioritized?

Anyway the engine architecture isn't a good match for this type of thing.
  3. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Heh. Ideas are free though. Reality just has this habit of coming down and landing on your ideas like an ton of bricks.

To be fair, the exact same thing happens when you're developing business software too.
  4. crseth

crseth Member

Not a good idea at all in my book. Not to mention it would be horribly clunky and just off. You want a first person game play a first person game -.-
  5. muzzledelk

muzzledelk Member

The ability to assume an FPS like control scheme on any unit would be a great amount of fun, I'll be the first to say that. But it wouldn't make much sense on a dev or gameplay standpoint, as it would be incredibly difficult to code properly for one, and nearly pointless for the other.

Yes, great, you can control a single bot to dodge some missiles. Awesome. Too bad while you were messing around with that one bot, six asteroids slammed into your base and all of your dudes are significantly dead. This game is macro, one unit of any kind anywhere shouldn't make any kind of difference in any direction. The logic engine also probably broke somewhere down the line because the game wasn't made for your shenanigans.

Hold onto your hopes for a mod to ship, then we'll talk.