F'ing Stars, how do they work?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by zarakon, March 16, 2011.

1. Snug

Snug New Member

you're lucky you're not in the IRC channel...
  2. Vlane

Vlane New Member

O HAI SNUG, 'SUP?
    I CAN JOIN YOUR IRC CHANNEL BUT I WON'T WRITE ANYTHING! FOR PERSONAL AMUSEMENT I COULD READ IT THOUGH!

It hurts to write in all caps, but meh, felt like it.
  3. Overgear

Overgear New Member

I enjoy playing with Nekoh because he likes to tell other people how to play and still comes 4th on the scoreboard.
    You can't blame him for knowing how to play the game however.

As someone mentioned, a lot of high level people are kinda egotistical or are just snipers. A star system that gives good team balance would be great.
    I often play with a friend and we both hover around 3.5-4.2 rank and if no one chooses a team we'll be with other 3.5-5 stars fighting 2-3 stars. It's pretty bad.
  4. Vlane

Vlane New Member

I can blame him because he quits games on a regular basis because of his precious *******' star rating.

That makes him a bad player.
  5. Snug

Snug New Member

This.

Every single time he comes into IRC it's always another rant/complaint.

[21] * nekoh (nekoh@cpc2-croy3-0-0-cust294.croy.cable.virginmedia.com) has joined #mondaynightcombat
    [21] <nekoh> this game is the greatest and most retarded game ever
    [21] * nekoh (nekoh@cpc2-croy3-0-0-cust294.croy.cable.virginmedia.com) Quit (Read error: EOF from client)
  6. zenstar

zenstar New Member

People quiting when they're team shows any sign of losing really annoy me :evil:
    Had so many people doing it tonight.

If you bail on your team then it's almost 100% certain that they'll lose! 4v6? Yeah, not going to work.
    However, if you stick around you could turn the game around and win.

But people are too QQ to stick it out to the end of a game and possibly get any bad reflection on their rating. *sigh*

If we have to keep the stars can we make people who quit early lose half a star for being cowards?

(oh: and force snipers that hide in the lower entrances to lose a full star every time they run back into the starting room)
  7. d-roy

d-roy Active Member

Let's not steer the thread off course and turn it into a hate-on-others thread and state facts about other players.

Somewhat On-topic: What if 10 bots had the same value as one pro?

Best idea ever.
  8. Revolution_Jones

Revolution_Jones New Member

You know, the problem with this is that you won't be able to differ who's leaving because they are Ragers and who's leaving because the lag is just simply terrible. I mean, I had a game where everyone was 999. I left the safe room in Ammo Mule and somehow ended in the under passage below the Annihilator with one step. I left that game and I lost 0.08 stars because I had the audacity not to stick out that game.

But we should just get over it. Went from a 3.71 to a 3.50 with one bad game. I mvped, team leadered, and assisted the next game, and I just went up 0.04 points. I think a lot of it has to do with game length. Because I did my job well (controlled bots, kept heads down, killed when needed and saved my juice for the money ball 8k, 6a, 0d, 74 bots) the game went by really quick and didn't get the chance for more.
  9. Nekoh

Nekoh New Member

You do know if you leave you still lose whatever stars you would of lost if the game ended right there and then?

Also to all you pricks hating on me PM me it or don't say it at all you pussyholes. Bunch of little bitches.
  10. Chucklehead

Chucklehead New Member

All the star system actually does at the moment, besides making certain players butt-frustrated because a number of theirs lowered by a inconsequential amount, is letting new players have the option to play in their 3 stars or less servers and have everyone else play on the 5 star capped ones.

If the threat of having your 'precious' rating drop is going to keep you from actually playing and finishing a game, then you have some issues.

Not the mention it seems to have periods of time where the system just goes full retard on me. Went from a 5.4ish to 4.5 over a period of a few days, constantly dropping no matter if I was MVP, had the most bot kills, or a high k/d ratio. During this time my rating would rise if I did worse rather than if I did better, so pretty much it just did whatever it felt like doing regardless of my own performance (I mean, what the ****... really?), so just stop worrying about it. I just continued to play the game, and my rating got back up to around 5.4 after the shenanigans was over.

If you're a good player, you don't need numbers to tell you that you are, I know jotun? plays an awesome support but he doesn't get nearly the amount of stars that he deserves when he plays that class all right and proper.

Star rating not satisfactory? Improve yourself and it'll go up without a doubt.please, just don't cry about it while you're doing that The reason your stars fluctuate rather than go up constantly, is because you probably are not showing marginal improvements. Stop seeing the star rating as how good you are, but whether you're getting better or not.

Although now that I think about it, the current system is tilted to benefit the carry classes more than support ones...
  11. Kupi

Kupi New Member

If you don't mind me sharing my superstitions regarding the ranking system, I seem to recall reading a comment over on SPUF that the All-Star system bases itself on a specific span of play time, which is to keep you from being punished forever for a bad run of games. That would explain this phenomenon of "I played really well and my ranking went down, WTF": you might be at the top of the scoreboard this round, but if the amount of time you spent in that game rolled an even better / more awesome run out of the sliding window, your displayed average quality of play will go down. So, some variation is to be expected.

Am I making any sense here?
  12. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

Has to be. When the star system came out I went on a self-airstriking binge for two weeks and a week later it was back up to 4.8.
  13. zenstar

zenstar New Member

I think you're right. I remember reading something similar somewhere. It takes the last X games into account and generates your rating over those X games.
    Add a new result and the oldest result falls out the other end.
    This means to consistantly push your rating up (or down) you'll need to be consistantly doing well (or badly).