Few planet designer bugs and Questions

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by nick2k, January 22, 2015.

1. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

All of my editing was done on v. 76843-pte

While making a custom map I ran into a few rather annoying bugs/glitches.

The first problem I had was this piece of CSG randomly appeared on the north end of my planet and I can't delete it. I have the symmetrical option checked, but it didn't appear on the south end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My second problem is that this giant piece of metal appeared on my planet. Also not able to delete it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It does not show up on that side of the map, but on the opposite side it clips through a little.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help and/or info :D
    Also will upload my map when I figure out how to ):
    Last edited: January 22, 2015
  2. cobalfrostwyrm

cobalfrostwyrm New Member

You need to export your map and then edit the pas file to remove the unwanted csg's.

In my limited experience (I've only been here just over a week) when a planet goes wonky it stays winky somehow, no matter how much I edit the pas. It's probably going to save you a headache to just write down the seed and other settings and start over
    nick2k likes this.
  3. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

To be more specific - the way to rid yourself of unwanted non-symmetrical CSG is:

1. Export the map to a .pas file
    2. Open the .pas file in a text editor (even notepad will do!)
    3. Go to the main body of the file, where it lists all the CSG for your planet (after the seed/landing zones settings, and usually before the list of metal spots)
    4. Scroll down the list of CSG: when you add CSG in 'mirrored mode', it always adds the same CSG twice to the .pas file, but the second CSG will have "mirrored": true (this flag is what makes it appear, but remain unselectable in the editor). So you want to find any CSG that both: i) aren't followed by an identical piece of CSG in the list; and ii) have "mirrored": true. These are your rogue CSG.
    5. Select the portions of the text file that give the data for the CSG that fulfil the criteria in (4). Look for the curly brackets that both start and end the data entries for the CSG and delete everything from the opening curly bracket to the comma that follows the closing curly bracket (including those characters!). If it helps at all, the first variable in each CSG array is always "weight", and the last is always "biomeColor". So you can look for these to make sure you find the start and end points of the arrays.
    6. Save the .pas file.
    7. Import from the file back into the system editor.
    8. Your rogue CSG should be gone.

Note: if in (5) you leave some characters/slices of text lying around from the CSG you've deleted, you can very easily leave the file in a format that the system import tool won't be able to read. Often a good idea to make quick backups if you're a bit unsure of what you're doing.

Hope this helps! Took me a little while to get good/quick at this - but then my editor started actually working pretty well, and I haven't needed to do this in about a week.
    nick2k likes this.
  4. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

Thanks for the help! I'll try it out sometime, but most likely will just start over. With my luck I will break something and forget to make a copy :p