[Feature Req] Planet Status

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by o0cyberfreak0o, March 3, 2014.

1. o0cyberfreak0o

o0cyberfreak0o New Member

I was reading this thread threads/lod-system.56510/page-2#post-873132 and saw a comment made from Bgolus "This is what we do for the strategic icons, and for particle effects. Every frame we take every strategic icon (and health bars, and ammo bars, and a few other things) and build a giant polygon mesh and upload it to the video card. The next frame we destroy that mesh and make a whole new one."

This brought me to the thought of, well what if... they brought all this information together as a single figure stat... but then not knowing much more about modern gaming development I thought I'd just leave the development to the developers, but thought I'd still ask about one other thing...

Which is the topic Planet Status, ie. which faction has most control over the occupied planet (a health level of sorts). Not necessarily for a closer zoom level but for one that the planet is smaller, or includes other solar system objects.

I just think that if someone is going to replay the game video (are we going to see any PA e-Sports? Sounds kinda too much like EA Sports) that this sort of information might be that much more useful.
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

This would give you intel about planets that you do not have radar on. So you could tell if sending single commander is safe or not, or tell when enemy got to other planet. If he did it early it means his base is underdeveloped, and easy to rush and kill thus gimping his economy. That is too much info for free, it breaks some cool gameplay at beginning. If you base it only on radar coverage it can be totally inaccurate.

However such info for replays would be great together with dps meters (or maybe dps map) for planets, so we can say where to zoom in while watching it.
  3. alantoner

alantoner New Member

I think it would be a cool idea if it were just for post game analysis. I like to look back at games after I've played them and study other people's strategy. This sort of a feature would be useful in facilitating this. I would also like to be able to see other people's mex/energy level through out the chrono cam replay. I don't know if this is something uber has plans of implementing at some point, but it would be nice.
    nawrot likes this.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I'm not sure if you already know about this mod, but PA Stats does much of what you want. It gathers statistics during play and shows the on this website with lots of funky graphs and such. It's pretty neat.
    alantoner likes this.
  5. alantoner

alantoner New Member

6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I don't like it.

It'd give you too much info about planets that you don't have any intel on.

In order to know who controls what with what, you gotta scout it out. You shouldn't be given free info on planets that you don't scout.
    nawrot likes this.
  7. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I think he was talking more in the sense of replays. Very much like PA Stats does now.