Fake paintover Thursday! Night lighting suggestion.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Baleur, June 6, 2013.

1. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I like this.

Or perhaps, the light post is a secondary wall peice. Like one that would look good on corners of walls or what have you, entrance ways etc. Then one could have either lamp posts in the middle of open space, a wall with corners and occasional breaks of "lamp walls" and if they feel like making RoboVegas then just make the whole wall out of lamp posts.
    It could literally be the exact same HP balance etc so that it doesnt matter if its a regular wall or not. (perhaps the pole hieght ignores projectiles so ppl arent exploiting that) and if CPU is really an issue, the option to disable lights in the video options could be available which only hurts you aesthetically if you chose too, and prevents ppl from using lag tactics of any kind. (not that I have ever feared this, but i know concerns from others could arrise)

And if you guys really went knee deep in this, provide a toggle that changes the lamp from circular radius to a directional headlamp. Would be cool for those choke points where you have piles of tanks pouring into ur battle lines and light shining on the enemy as you fire rockets from behind the wall. would make great screenshot material
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Preachin to the choir ;)
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Point Defenses with Spotlights? Gods that would look so cool on a stormy night.
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I'm just curious.. can you have a non-fake paintover? :)
  5. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I always thought the fake ones where when art dept. drops self nude pictures under the name of a latest iteration.

"Oh sweet, version 5 paint-over.." *click :shock:
  6. veta

veta Active Member

I'd like that. If it works like fences in minecraft it could automatically build a lightpost segment on corners for you instead of having an extra building.
  7. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Something like this would be most welcome! :)

Having a large directional light...that way you coult build one on each corner of your base...maybe an omnidirectional one for the center..?

Attached Files:

8. plink

plink Active Member

Yes, this would be awesome. Then you can darken the 'night' side of the planet. Right now the game is very 'washed out' lighting wise. (needs more dynamic from light to dark side)
  9. swappan

swappan New Member

I like lampposts. Might be cool if you also could build like concrete slabs to place on the ground, dune 2 like, so your base looks like one connected base.
  10. hitorque

hitorque New Member

Although positively ancient these days, the vehicle and building lights in Earth 2150 were outstanding. Coupled with the weather system and ambient lighting, they really added a lot to game play and visuals.
  11. Baleur

Baleur Member

Blending 2 screenshots on top of each other? :twisted:
  12. firebladed

firebladed New Member

use actual paint ?
  13. starchiid

starchiid New Member

Spotlights on Turrets might also look really cool, Point Defense shining a circle of light on their targets or an AA Lightshow above your base when the Bombers fly overhead.

Lights on Buildings could show the buildings Health, either by making them switch color in any way, by increased (irregular) Flickering, or dimming them down.
    This could also show if a Factory is working, a (nuke) silo is producing a missile or already has one, or lights could be turned off completely for a disabled building (be it by some sort of emp, or because its switched off).
  14. mrknowie

mrknowie Member

And it'll keep those f%^%ing creepers from spawning and blowing up my house!
  15. sab0t

sab0t Member

a nice visual indicator of a building that's been turned off (assuming this can be done) would be to have its exterior lights also power down