Factory Complex

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Arachnis, October 26, 2013.

1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Please don't quote, emphasise, underline and increase the text size to make your point clear. It's not good practice.

The article then goes on to say "macromanagement is the ability to produce an army. This can encompass a wide variety of factors such as build order, economy management and constant unit production."

By loose term, it means that it doesn't just describe the ability to actually build units, but all the factors which affect that. It considers the system as a whole, not just how many factories you have.

It goes on to say in the relevant article that "Microing is often done in contrast to macroing; the building and managing of bases and armies"

It's not an argument of semantics. It's using the commonly accepted terminology to be conducive with its actual definition.

Either way, from a macro point of view "upgrading" your factory isn't always good. Why don't you get your first t1 fabber to assist your first factory, right from the beginning of the game?

The argument also follows that producing a t1 fabricator, waiting for it to finish, and then telling it to assist a factory is inefficient in terms of player attention. Likewise, so is ordering fabbers to build a T2 factory, building a whole lot of power gens, and then assist the factory, when you could just order them to transform into a factory upgrade. Especially as, you know, you're queueing orders some distance away, so you can't actually get them to assist the factory until its template has been set.

I think somewhere there is a thread where building 1 t2 factory, and having 30 fabbers assisting it, is more cost efficient than running 2 t2 factories, and gives the same build power.
  2. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Interesting read in this thread... reminds me of the "levelers need a change thread" in the general forum.
    Maybe when Uber decides to do their balance pass we can convince them to rethink: Cost of units, Tiers of units and If progression should mean better units (essentially upgraded units). C&C Red Alert 2 units forever!

I felt some of the posters could of been a little less rude on both sides of the coin in this thread.

What I gather is the problem
    • Building more factories, building more turrets and stuff. More of everything. But why? It somehow just doesn't feel right.
    • At this point your gameplan doesn't evolve anymore. There's no necessity to plan ahead anymore.
    • You just put down more and more of the same stuff, because there is no T3 for you to tech up to.
    From what I gather of a factory complex to solve this problem
    • Upgrade to combine Basic factories to make them pump units faster.
    Is this correct?
    and if its correct... I don't think it solves the problem(s) you outlined at all

An upgrade, that increases roll off time of Basic units after elaborately designing a base to utilize this ability... It seems you would have to know about this bonus before being able to use it. I see it layering the complexity if you say... alternated Bot land air factories to make a complex but really why add this layer of complexity to have more diversified units when you can have the diversified units out already as advanced units.

When we have advanced units that are tangibly advanced and offer unique play styles... then it will change the games complexity with this depth in unit choices to decide your strategies. Since the strategies will be designed around what to use instead of worrying about your base not being built perfectly to use complex upgrades to execute strategies to win.