Faction #2 - Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, October 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maruun

Maruun Member

[​IMG]

Fiddelt around a bit more i got to this point. I am a fan of simple meaningfull symbols. Harr i dont know...

And yes we are all in this together :) so if you want to play aroaund with my stuff no problem at all :)
  2. ST13

ST13 New Member

The I/O in the face of the father of machines is epic. It gives him more significance and it Looks a bit like an allseeing eye.
  3. ulight

ulight Member

Kind of reminds me of this [​IMG]
    dukyduke and lordxanos like this.
  4. theducklingunity

theducklingunity New Member

Pa1.jpg PA.png

The commanders are a major biological hazard. They should have a symbol to show that they are there to eradicate the Progenitors. Anyone who does not believe in their religon would be destroyed according to the faction lore. This symbol is good as it shows that this new faction takes over everything it encounters. And thats just the tip of the iceberg, it looks good too.
  5. terminator025

terminator025 New Member

Religous symbols only really work in the context their culture. Thus it becomes neccesary to define our new culture before we design a new one. An example with the trending FoF theme:

The great founder, who's hands shape all that there is, gifted us with the powers of great knowledge and creation. I see his 2 (or maybe 4) metal 3 fingered hands open to us, holding his gifts of all the universe and a halo of divine enlightenment.
    archcommander likes this.
  6. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

For some reason i find the power symbol on the backround commanders head funny, probably because it looks like an eye and reminds me of the good old galactic colossus :D
    But yeah, if it has to be there it should be discrete. On the other hand of course it shouldnt be too small or the lines shouldt be too thin because then it will look weird if you scale it down. so on the commanders head might be a compromise, because from far away it looks more like an eye and not like a weird black blob on the front-commanders chest.
    Well anyways im too lazyto do another one right now.
    Oh and the turned down power symbol has no meaning at all, i just thought it looked better that way on the commanders chest :D
  7. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

The last one is kind of cool.
  8. zordian

zordian New Member

I like it more like it is creates a nice halo effect.
  9. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

It looks like a nose ring.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  10. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

I thought it looked like an ominous cyclops laser beam eye. But now that you mention it yeah, might need to be moved up and centered on the head a bit more.
  11. reiverta

reiverta New Member

You've got it exactly. With the right proportions to the cog, you could pull off 'cog' and 'halo' simultaneously... and it's an upside down power button to boot.

It's the layering of themes which makes me like it, really. Likewise, religious symbols often have a very simple look, so that helps too. This is gonna be burned into the side of mountains with artillery barrages, you know? :D
  12. mrpete

mrpete Member

I thought that was what Killsats are for?
  13. belphemur

belphemur New Member

I would see it on the forehead, like a "tatoo" representing their strong belief.
    Or maybe on both shoulders.
    mrpete likes this.
  14. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

i tried to place the "eye" where i felt it was appropriate. maybe it looks like a nose ring because it's a bit small, but i don't think it should be higher on the head. and you're right, it's not perfectly centered either.

i tried a version with two eyes, but it looked really dumb so i didn't even post it :D
  15. c4ptainpronin

So here we go again. Found some time, so here are a few versions with the power symbol, and a modified version of it which fits better into the design. Also, a version without the symbol, for comparison. i still thinks its kind of unecessary, but what the heck, if there is feedback why not listen to it. Enjoy.

pa_fanatics8.jpg pa_fanatics_ps1.jpg pa_fanatics_ps2.jpg pa_fanatics_ps3.jpg pa_fanatics5.jpg

Edit: I think the modified power symbol not only fits better in my specific design, but also to the fraction. The circle is a very organic feeling shape, while the hexagon looks more technical.
    And for this fraction, which opposes any form of organic life more than anything else, the round shape of the power symbol would seem out of place in my oppinion. So if they must have a religious symbol and if that symbol should be the power button, i would suggest editing it so it looks more technical.
    Last edited: October 17, 2013
    eep, stevedaman1228 and LavaSnake like this.
  16. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I'd stick the the no symbol version. The simplicity of it is what I like the most the the power button just ruins it. Plus the whole power button idea seams a little dumb to me, but I may be wrong on that. If you must do a power button, the second one is ok since the angled look matches the rest of the symbol to an extent.

Edit -
    I completely agree with @c4ptainpronin 's edit but still think no power button is better.
    Last edited: October 17, 2013
    c4ptainpronin likes this.
  17. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

The power button is great conceptually and trumps a lot of ideas IMO however I think it has to be done in a non-obvious and non-gimmicky way.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  18. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

if there should be a power symbol, i'm still not in favor of putting it upside-down.

but in the end, it doesn't matter where or in which sense it is placed, it just doesn't fit. either it's too small and we don't see it properly, either it big enough to be clear even when zoomed-out, but then it too big relative to the rest of the picture and is denaturing it.

maybe it could fit for an other faction, maybe there will b one made out of some kind of robotic hippies that want to spread peace and love by force if necessary, they would be glad to inherit this symbol.

i think it would be worth tweaking it a bit to make sure the black one stands up more than the white one, the first version you made was very interesting because it made a neat optical illusion. I think the size of the white one really matters, but i don't know if it is even possible to get this feeling back while keeping a non-awkward design for it (by the way, hasn't it grown taller ? ;)).

anyway, Uber's not going to just copy/paste whatever we end up with, so unless someone here has a lot of time and likes challenges, i think we can let them have the pleasure of solving it :D
    LavaSnake likes this.
  19. c4ptainpronin

Sooooo.
    Had a chat with a friend about the symbol and he didnt realy get that there was a commander/god in the backround.
    So i came to think that the powerbutton on the gods forehead isnt a bad idea after all, since it can be interpreted as an eye which makes recognising him for what he is far easier. It also gives the whole thing a kind of "illuminaty" feel, with the big eye watching over the faithfull followers. The power symbol has to be tured around, so the line in the middle looks like a pupil looking down. I obviously could just put a normal eye in there, but since there still seem to be many people liking the powerbutton idea i might as well use it for that. And the people who dont like the button(I still dont get why it should be relevant for machines in thousands of years) can interpret it as an eye and nothing more.
    So i made a few small changes, to optimize it a bit more and here we go.
    pa_fanatics_ps4.jpg
    pa_fanatics_ps4.jpg
    lokiCML, LavaSnake, vymun and 2 others like this.
  20. ashtorah

ashtorah New Member

Dat power symbol made into a gear. Yes. Perfect.
    No organic stuff. And you can put all the symbolism you want in it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.