Faction #2 - Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, October 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradine107

Paradine107 New Member

Managed to scrape this together from two google searches yielding an image of the milky way courtesy of nasa and a picture of a mechanical hand from "drons" on deviantart. The hand is not in an ideal position and of course the whole aesthetic doesn't quite fit with PA's art style, but this picture has the right objects so hopefully you understand what I mean.

EnlightenedSymbol.png
  2. narbot

narbot New Member

The middle symbol is a division sign representing the divided machines. The smaller cog depicting the unbelievers & the larger cog depicting the faction.

NarWheel3.png
    maxpowerz, cwarner7264 and mrvareel like this.
  3. angelcatano

angelcatano New Member

Maybe a large star shining on cogs?
  4. icepick37

icepick37 New Member

I whipped this up. I like it okay. Looking for a temple-y feel with an eye representing the founder. (so the "mountains" need more building details, but you get the point, yeah?)

Attached Files:

5. Azirahael

Azirahael Member

Anything sunburst-y would fit with enlightened ideas.
  6. plague11

plague11 Member

how about something like the War hammer 40k machine god symbol but add a supreme God-robot to the symbol instead of a skull.
  7. narbot

narbot New Member

Some more I made my messing around with designs.

Untitled1112.png

Narwheel8.png
    Last edited: October 16, 2013
    jt100010117, astrocom and pizwitch like this.
  8. majord

majord New Member

If their belief is in a machine god, shouldn't the symbolism heavily favor a network connecting everything in the universe together? Perhaps the stars and gasses in the sky form something similar to the image below, but instead of a human scull, it could be a square pattern like that of microchips and circuit boards?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. rdlc1983

rdlc1983 New Member

I agree, it depends on which faction name is chosen.

If The Enlightened is chosen the symbol could be a star shining upon worlds with some talons or mechanical hands around the sides like it's protecting the star and worlds it holds (like hands holding a pigeon, or something like that)

Temple of the fist should have some sort of building in the symbol representing the temple.

Followers of the Founder should have a symbol, how about a sword in the middle with 2 talons or claws on the sides and in the middle a shining star, given that the main believe of this faction is if you are not with us, you are against us

Army of the Creator should have some rebellion symbols in it, like what Binkenstein said in an earlier thread, an upraised fist like the red faction game...
  10. lordxanos

lordxanos Member

For this faction I was thinking it would be based on 3's and uses a triangle in the background. The circular shape with the hieroglyphic like letter-forms are corrupt files that were combined forming their religion and mythologies. (the text was pulled from opening an image file with wordpad, which makes some pretty interesting character combinations)

corruption.jpg
    omniao, knuckte, daarguard and 3 others like this.
  11. mrpete

mrpete Member

Your idea immediatly sparked this. Rough draft and all those excuses, feel free to expand on it if you want.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: October 15, 2013
    InstantMix likes this.
  12. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Perhaps some amalgamation of religious symbols, pieced together from the Commander's memory banks? With more mechanical influences of course.

[​IMG]

Or maybe something simpler? Something machines would equate to religion? Life & Death.
    [​IMG]
    Nation of 01 from the Animatrix, white and black symbol.

[​IMG]
    0 & 1 - On & Off

[​IMG]
  13. icepick37

icepick37 New Member

I get what people are saying about the different names, but I actually think good iconography would work with all of them. They all have some very important things in common:

• Religious under (over?) tones
    • Aggression
    • The founder (and his watchful eye)

Which is where my own idea came from. Obviously you could do something to match closer to the name, but I don't know that I'd say it's necessary.
  14. bradburning

bradburning Active Member

So just thrown this together for now its pretty simple, thinking of adding a little more detail.

Have tried to get a large amount of the factions story into this design, with the star representing the machine god (I am really trying to avoid gears and any thing else that would be associated with 40ks machine spirit/god), the ruined city where the faction started out and the boarder U around it representing with them or against them.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: October 15, 2013
    plague11 likes this.
  15. mrpete

mrpete Member

That idea of 0/1 is great.
    Very simple, not loaded with details that'd get lost in higher zoom and quite clear in its meaning: you follow or you're offline.
  16. gnarlytrader

gnarlytrader New Member

If I were to come up with a symbol, I would try to imagine would these machines would see on their interfaces, if they have one. (I'm sure they don't have organic eyes and instead have a HUD) It could be either something resembling computer programs from the 80s or the use of the green text black background hacker movie style, or something like the new star trek when the two characters are flying through space debris and have the objects in the HUD displaying in neon.
  17. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

18. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

Nice but maybe join that with the on/off power symbol?
  19. Devak

Devak Post Master General

This. This is pure divine-excretion covered gold. Please Uber, search no more. Take it. Take it. takeittakeittakeittakit.
  20. vymun

vymun New Member

i've got an idea! but it's so late i'll finish tomorrow and post
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.