Faction #2 - Faction Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, October 15, 2013.

?

What Should Faction #2's Name Be?

1. Followers of the Founder

131 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Temple of the First

208 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. The Enlightened

434 vote(s)
    45.9%
  4. Army of the Creator

172 vote(s)
    18.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unknownsquid

unknownsquid New Member

Well I literally just wrote it as an incidental means to refer to the unnamed faction, "a religious themed collective of robots," and it struck me as being a decent sounding name in itself, so diverted what I was saying to suggest it instead.

The only other thing that comes to my mind hearing the word is the game 'Space Empires', where it was simply one of the listed government/empire types you could select for your empire.

I find short snappy names that can be said as a single word if needed to be the most effective generally. Consider the sentences...
    "Arm forces encountered fierce resistance."
    Or
    "The Aeon had been repelled for now."

And now try to apply those sentences to 'Army of the Creator' for example. It's kind of awkward to use, even with an abbreviation such as the one The UEF use. The other names such as "The Enlightened" fit the mold better, and perhaps that actually contributed to the vote. Can't really say. Although "Enlightened forces are converging on our position" does sound a little like some kind of awkward compliment.

The good thing about simple names, is that you can extend them into longer names as befits the situation. Eg:-
    Aeon > The Aeon > The Aeon Illuminate
    Collective > The Collective > The Collective of the Founder

Abbreviation also work well enough, as long as they still manage to sound good in long and short form. Currently we would have:-
    -FOTF
    -TOTF
    -TE
    -AOTC

Abbreviations are also always relevant simply because we all know that in future discussions and during fast paced game chat, no one is going to write a name longer than four letters. : P
    (Such as how in debates and even casual chat, Cybran becomes Cyb, and Seraphim becomes Sera.)
    Last edited: October 15, 2013
  2. borgmind

borgmind New Member

Problem?
    archcommander likes this.
  3. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

'Army'. The term 'army' isn't that common in PA, and one faction thinking of themselves as the only official army involved in the conflict could be enough to distinguish them as 'Army' forces.

It also has some parallels in the real world, giving the recent civil wars in certain middle eastern countries between army/government and rebel/terrorist forces.
  4. Devak

Devak Post Master General

5. zapa

zapa New Member

The name that popped in my mind when I read about this cult following The Founder was "The Foundry". Maybe it's a bit too much of a play-on-words to be the name of the faction though.. :D
  6. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

Yes, I was being facetious and corny in the hopes of discouraging the writers from actually going down that path. Also, if the story does turn out that way, I want to be able to say, "called it." Let's hope it doesn't. :p
    Last edited: October 18, 2013
  7. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

The Borg are here. Beware!
    I think a Borg like faction would work. Just not with this one.
  8. sqootchimari

sqootchimari New Member

Why not just, The Templar?

or ___ Templar, or The ___ Templar

Reading that story and the description of the faction made the Knight's Templar come to mind instantly.
  9. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Foundry's Templar?
  10. ascythian

ascythian Member

Honestly I prefer just the name Temple.
  11. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Awesome stuff, guys. Locking this now while we deliberate!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.