Extractors

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Bastilean, April 5, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The fact is map design for squares and rectangles is much, much different than map design for spheres. You can't just wrap a old square map around a sphere and expect it to play the same.

Mike
  2. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

No, its not just that but the very mechanics of the game forbid it, what with orbital weapons RKV's and multiple planets in the picture.

Im just saying essentially the map, with a few small modifications can be exactly copied.

No it wont play the same, but it will be accurate.
  3. veta

veta Active Member

my understanding is the maps will play a lot like cylinders and i'd imagine maps with big pacific oceans will play similarly to SupCom maps that had water borders behind you.
  4. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

That's fortunately not accurate anymore.

In the beginning Garat said they thought they went this way (with cylindrical maps deformed towards a sphere) but they fortunately came up with a system that allows arbitrary shapes for planets (with an optimisation for spheres).

So yes, you can go over the south or north pole and any other way.
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  6. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Small modifications? If you just copy Setons clutch and wrap it onto sphere both teams will start on the same landmass and there would not be 2 separate seas but only 1 sea. You need to add in some huge piece of terrain between the player starts where the map border would have been in SupCom.
    In SupCom ASF have to cross either the Isthmus or over one of the 2 seas where there is likely to be enemy navies.
    On a planet you could just go in the opposite direction and end up in the enemies bases.
    I guess you could add mountains that even planes can't traverse but then you got artillery, nukes and orbital units that still would be able to go over these mountains.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Or you could just mirror the map and then wrap it, effectively creating a spherical Seton's Clutch. Two seas, two Isthmuses, and two starting landmasses. Oh yeah, and two mass-rich islands in the middle of the seas.

Wait, why did I just post that? I HATE Seton's Clutch.
  8. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I say two opposite continents connected by a single landbridge and the two islands in the single large sea would embodiy the gameplay of seton.
  9. godde

godde Well-Known Member

That actually seems like a nice way to convert SupCom maps into planets.
  10. syox

syox Member

Ok back to topic: for my logistics mod i think of using a warcraft goldmine style thingy for the mexes :
    A mex is there in general as a building, maybe indestructible
    It stockpiles mass at a given rate, engies come an refill there.
    If a huge load is stockpiled, you can refill many at once, if not not.
  11. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

why? if you want warcraft style resources play warcraft and not a TA clone
  12. syox

syox Member

Are you even reading posts?
    So i am not allowed to mod a game, that is likely designed with modding in mind?
    You could also say: if you want to play a TA clone why buy PA at all, go play TA.