Evil Twins - 1v1 tournament, open to all

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by exodusesports, February 10, 2015.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

My biggest congrats go out to

gregorianmonks for the biggest upset of the tournament, knocking out yaegz in the quarterfinals. An upset so surprising that he'd made plans on the assumption he'd be out first round.

I hope we'll see more of this player in the future.

Congrats Kiwi, you can leave PA's top clan for its second best one :)
    Last edited: March 15, 2015
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I meant to say as well, many, many thanks to @mot9001 who notified us of the Pacific map bug introduced in the latest patch. This allowed us to ensure we used a fixed and fair version in the tournament.
    cwarner7264, stuart98, Zaphys and 2 others like this.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Exactly.
    may the Realm prosper.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

Zaphys, stuart98, mered4 and 3 others like this.
  5. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

As part of any tournament we collect feedback both from the players who took part and from the viewers who watch live. We received quite a lot of comments for the Evil Twins Qualifiers and Finals and thought it might be helpful if we responded directly to some of the points raised.

Why didn't you postpone once the patch was released?

We had agreed a date and time in advance with eight players, two casters, one moderator and one member of staff. That's twelve people who blocked out their Saturday for this event, not to mention all the viewers who marked it in their calendar.

We feel that changing the date at the last second would be unprofessional and disrespectful to those who made themselves available. It might mean we couldn't run the event or get full turnout, and it doesn't guarantee that another patch won't be released before the next event.

Patches are a fact of life outside of our control and we're afraid we're just going to have to roll with them.

What happened to Sunday tournaments?

We ran a poll on the Uber forums and Saturday evenings were overwhelmingly more popular than any other option.

The rules seemed very dense and it was easy to get disqualified

We agree that for new players they can be quite overwhelming. They've grown as new edge cases have been identified and rules created to handle them. We're discussing internally how we can slim them down. We do try to highlight key items in the e-mail reminders we send out to players.

Are colour restrictions still enforced?

Yes. We don't actively monitor this rule outside of cast games, but if your opponent is using colours which the rules don't permit then you should request that they change them. Failure to use approved colours could lead to a rehost or automatic disqualification if raised with tournament staff.

Why was the name so complicated and obscure?

We wanted something we could cosplay during the event. The photos have since been destroyed.

Use pole lock

Ladder maps feature spawns very near the pole regions, which is where pole lock can cause navigation issues. While we understand that some viewers will prefer a pole lock view, we allow casters to use whichever they're more comfortable to ensure the best experience they can provide.

Players should have longer breaks between rounds

We would love to be able to do this. Our limiting factor currently is staffing, we're never going to turn off the stream for half an hour or play a please wait video mid-tournament. This means that player breaks require content to fill the space, and that requires staff to do it. In addition it means the tournaments run longer and would need to start earlier. We're still looking at our options, a tournament of this length is new to us.

The casters could do with improving their game knowledge

This was a comment received for the Evil Twins Finals. The comment didn't go into more detail so we presume it's due to a couple of mistaken comments Quitch made around changes by the patch. Unfortunately with a patch launching so close to the tournament mistakes will be made, though he admits he forgot to re-read the patch notes just before the tournament.
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

One thing I would like to add. I don't remember where I saw this, but I have it saved:

"i've heard that quitch and wrongcat intertwine toes while casting, to better read each other's ebbs and flows"

I'd just like to put any rumours to rest and clarify that this is 100% spot on. He has cute little hobbit feet.
    Zaphys, FSN1977, trialq and 8 others like this.