Error compiling shaders, but its not Radeon

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by arbition, November 8, 2013.

1. arbition

arbition New Member

OK so when I execute ./PA from the PA directory, I am greeted with a black screen. Seems to be many instances of this, but the only ones I have found to have the error compiling shaders are for Radeon cards. I get two other error messages, mind, libcurl (I reinstalled, to no avail) and symlink udev (cd /lib; ln -s libudev.so.1.3.5 /lib/udev.so.0) (yet the message doesn't go away). I have tried this on 3 machines, two with Intel Integrated (so I dismissed them) and one with the proprietary nVidia drivers on a 640. All running Fedora (the nV one was on 19, and up to date).

I have attached the log for the latest instance, despite my searching for related issues I have not had any success. Perhaps I am missing something obvious or missing a dependancy. Any help would be appreciated.

edit: to be clear, this is 56516

Attached Files:

2. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I will get SXX to help you, he has a good knowladge of how to get the game running on linux.
    I would help but i haven't gotten linux installed on to my desktop yet so i have no real ideas/options to offer to help just yet :(
  3. arbition

arbition New Member

Oops, nevermind. Just fixed it. I was symlinking the one in the lib directory where it was the one in lib64. Caught that issue when an updated google chrome had the same issue (how is that for coincidence). Feel free to delete, mods.

edit: the reason I picked it up in chrome is because strace showed something useful, but it looks like strace doesn't work on ./PA because it calls another executable for that.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  4. maxpowerz

alls good, its good to leave these post up too.
    it helps other people who might run into a similar issue and not know why things are going wrong.
    it gives them an avenue to explore to see if they can remedy things themselfs like you did :) :) :)
    I hope you enjoy the game.. ITS AWESOME .. lol
  5. arbition

arbition New Member

I tried it fairly early in the alpha, but gave up because the lag was incredible (>2 seconds I reckon) because I am in Australia the nearest server was in the US. I decided I'd finally have another crack, as well as run it on my preferred operating system.
  6. maxpowerz

I live in adelaide ;)
  7. arbition

arbition New Member

That's too perfect. So do I >.<
  8. maxpowerz

OMG we gotta PM n chat .. hahaha
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Great that you fixed your issue.

Also if you playing on Nvidia card I recommend you to set __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 environment variable.
    It's will increase PA performance a lot and give Linux version performance parity with Windows one.

For running PA on Intel iGPUs you can as well check my topics related to FOSS driver bugs. Most of problems you might notice on Intel are fixable, but performance with integrated cards still quite on Linux, so I not tested it a lot. :(
    shredder5 and maxpowerz like this.
  10. shredder5

shredder5 New Member

I feel like this information should be more visible - I wasn't aware that this could be set, and I'm sure I'm not the only one (or else I'm going to feel rather foolish). I was fairly pleased with the performance of PA before, but it's now significantly improved (10-30% FPS increase on average), which is great considering it's a very easy thing to change as well.

Maybe a quick tip in maxpowerz (stickied) frame rates thread would be useful? (it does tell you to turn threaded optimizations on, but it's not especially obvious how to do that under linux)
    maxpowerz likes this.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Only problem that mostly nobody read those threads. :D

Also I'm not totally sure that this option will work nicely on all Nvidia cards, so I'm currently only started to get some feedback from people.
  12. maxpowerz

i will get sxx to write me how to set threaded optimization for linux and add to the frame rate thread like you suggest, that's a good idea.
    i would have added it but i know little about new linux's (it been 5-6 years since i used linux)
  13. shredder5

shredder5 New Member

As far as I can tell you just prefix a couple of commands before running the game, so instead of running
    Code:
    ~/PA/PA
    I run
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD="libpthread.so.0 libGL.so.1" __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 ~/PA/PA

maxpowerz likes this.
  14. maxpowerz

haha, much easier than what i was going to add, i was going to add permanent variable to enviornmet variables at GUI load.

--edited--
    I make SXX laugh im a linux newb :(
    i make things to hard for an easy fix i think.