Ensuring the game is well-balanced

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by coldboot, August 20, 2012.

1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

The balance needs to evolve as the game does over time. New game breaking strategies and exploits will always be discovered. One of the tools we'll have available that we haven't in the past is a good set of game replay logs and statistics through our back end systems.
  2. zordon

zordon Member

Does this mean we'll get a webpage we can log into and check our units stats like when original supcom was released before it was broken by a patch? (or something, I can't quite remember that was a long time ago)
  3. neutrino

I'm not promising anything but in an ideal world that would be the case.
  4. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

That's excellent news, neutrino. I'm really glad you guys are taking a statistical approach this time.

Would you consider making tools like Starcraft's "make_combat" that would make it extremely easy for players to validate ideas about imbalance?

Something to add that would give clarity to the results of a "make_combat" situation would be to print the total cost and build time of each force so one could easily understand if such a battle is even likely to happen.
  5. neutrino

I'm sure we'll end up with some sort of tools along those lines.
    +circle ;)
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Neutrino while we got you here, I'd love to see you guys maintain a PA DB just like the ones we did for SupCom and FA.

Also extreme bonus point if you release like a mini tool that can create those stat sheets for mod units!

Mike