Elite: Dangerous is looking sexy

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by sylvesterink, January 27, 2014.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

He says, with an Internet connection :p He says, when WoW has 10 million subscribers, and when the most popular game in existence at the moment is League of Legends, an always-online MP game.

Always-online entertainment is a majority. For most of the gaming world. The fact that RTS fans complain when they don't get their offline-only fix is laughable (RTS being a niche genre in the first place).
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Still sounds like an EA thing. Like some BS excuse they'd give for a singleplayer game *cough*SIMCITY*cough*.

Though you can't complain about an always-online game if it's an MMO/MP-only game because that's just silly.
  3. Gorbles

Complaining about a company for the sake of it's name is silly. Off-topic is dumb.
  4. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Yes it is technically an MMO now, after they backtracked on the offline part.

Though in practice it is not really an MMO in the sense that you will not see all players in the same area. For the most part it is just the dynamic universe crap they keep going on about.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/elite-dangerous-preview

Basically it is just SimCity all over again.
  5. Geers

Did they take a classic singleplayer game, jam in obtrusive DRM and use "It's an MMO now" as an exuse despite the fact the genre of the game is a terrible fit for MMOs?
    No?
    Then it's not Simcity all over again.
    Gorbles likes this.
  6. abubaba

Elite is a classic single player game as well, about equal in prestige to SimCity.

Does this sound familiar to you:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-for-20-min-force-shutdown-timer-for-offline

This is the same exact load of crap.
  7. jvickers

jvickers Member

I like how in Elite Dangerous, unlike in some other games which I won't mention, the lasers seem to work at the speed of light. None of this nonsense that shows light moving so that one can see the beam taking a few frames of animation to connect with its target.
  8. Geers

What if I told you...

Those lasers that don't move at lightspeed...

WERE PLASMA BOLTS!? :eek:.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  9. abubaba

And how do you determine this "being fit for MMOs"? The reasoning behind SimCity multiplayer/dynamic changing world is just as sound as the one behind Elite: Dangerous.
  10. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Because a space exploration game is actually a viable game for multiplayer, where "build your OWN city" isn't?
    squishypon3 and Geers like this.
  11. Geers

Elite is on my christmas list. SEEI'MNOTBIASEDI'MBUYINGBOTHSOTHERE!
    squishypon3 likes this.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

This this this this.
  13. Gorbles

ELITE was built in a time where people barely knew what the Internet was, let alone had access to it.

False equivalencies, ho!
  14. abubaba

And the original SimCity wasn't?
  15. abubaba

SimCity is equally as viable for multiplayer, I was more interested in SimCity multiplayer than Elite mp. In fact the whole dynamic world thing sounds great in both games, if only they didn't sacrifice offline play for it for no good reason (other than it being DRM, but they don't want to call it that for marketing reasons).
  16. Gorbles

I never said it wasn't. But there's more of an argument to be made there, even without the mindless EA hate.
  17. Geers

Sorry but "giant space universe" is a way better fit for multiplayer than "Civil Engineering: The Video Game".

I also just pre-ordered Elite. Now I can play a space sim while waiting for a space sim to be released. Because I'm cool like that.
  18. abubaba

Maybe they should just combine SimCity and Elite dynamic economies into one superdynamic world.
  19. Geers

Launch trailer released:

Everybody loses their shiz over a cinematic trailer being cinematic.
  20. abubaba

Mute the 'edgy and extreme' music and it's not all that bad.

The music in that trailer is just so out of place. All previous trailers have had music from the game, this is nothing like that. The music (and sound design in general) in this game is one of the highlights of the game, really atmospheric. Seems really odd they would have put in this tripe instead. Looks like they outsourced the marketing for the final version...ouch.
    Last edited: December 13, 2014