Effects: Show "ghost" buildings?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by cola_colin, January 11, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So I am playing around with server scripting and one of the things I am interested in is to spawn random effects into the world. Spawning premade effects isn't very hard and kinda fun so far.
    Now I am wondering how the effect editing works. I can see effects are defined in json and pfx files, but I have very little knowledge of this stuff so far. I am wondering if it is possible to create "ghost" buildings.
    I've seen that the commander landing is using an astreus model as a particle, so it seems that it is possible to use random units as particles for effects.
    Is it possible to define an effect that is totally static and just shows a particle at a given location in a half transparent manner? I'd like to have a marker "build here" basically. I am thinking to create such an effect once per second in a given location until the player builds the building there.

In general: Has somebody looked at this system a bit more already and has ideas for interesting usecases given the ability to spawn any effects anywhere via a scripting system?
    xankar and dom314 like this.
  2. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

The particle system has an option for using a mesh as the particle. If you can find a way to cause the system to spawn an effect with scripting on the server, then this kind of thing should definitely be possible.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Colin asking a question?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

But as Dom said, there is a mesh option and I believe there is an option to set a papa file as the mesh, but unfortunately this is the one thing in the effects guide that is unfinished not even there.

EDIT: just realized this is a pretty old question
  4. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

12 days is old?

The effects system is capable of doing this, though if you want a transparent team colored unit particle you'd have to write a new shader as the existing meshParticle_unit is opaque like a normal unit.

Not really any way to spawn effects via server scripting that I know of though.
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

[​IMG]

I am fine with a transparent, non colored ghost.
  6. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Ah, good. When I originally added the commander spawn effects it was through C++ code.

You'll need an effects entity Json file for each building type you want to preview and a pfx file with that building's model and diffuse texture.

Thinking about it you might still need a custom shader, or be okay with the buildings looking a little odd since the diffuse textures have that alpha in them.
    cola_colin likes this.