Effectiveness of reclaiming unit wreckage

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by andrehsu, August 28, 2015.

1. paleoludic

paleoludic Uber Alumni

Energy is still free. It costs an initial metal and build cost investment and a permanent footprint (unless you're talking drones or orbital) but once you pay that, it's always there. Take the energy draw of a fabber and multiply it by the metal cost per energy production of the generator you plan to power it with, and just budget that much extra metal for it.

The reason that you're energy-strapped isn't that energy is hard to come by. It's that you can always cut corners on it, you're in a war and you probably should. So if you build a fabber without the accompanying generator, you've just built half a fabber, but if you manage your forces well it won't come back to bite you.
    huangth, temeter and Remy561 like this.
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

So why do fabbers still draw 100% energy when you are stalling on metal?
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

general maintanancecost ... off= 0 on= 400 etc...
    the machine does not care about how much metal there is ..
    it can only work or otherwise power down ...
  4. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

What's "overkill"? Now that unit wreckages don't block projectiles, how does this work?
  5. skypheonix20

skypheonix20 Member

overkill is extra damage thats left after the units hp drops to 0, tanks hit 84 and dox has 40hp so 44 damage goes to the wreckage (same hp as original dox) and destroys that wreckage, only other thing that can damage wreckage is splash damage from grenadiers and sparks, etc.
  6. ace63

How is that reasonable?
    My computer does not draw 700W power all the time simply because my PSU can output that much...
    That is just utterly broken game design which heavily encourages micro which has obviously no place in this game.
    tatsujb, stuart98 and cola_colin like this.
  7. MrTBSC

lets throw out basebuilding then because that would be micro as well .. because why place factories and powergrnerators ehy have to manage income and outgoing of eco why declare which area to reclaim why declare what units to build .. thats totaly broken .. better let the game play itself ... realy ..

SUCH a big problem with a fix resoucetake ...
  8. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

well considering I just watched @mered4 win a game where he had 1/4th the metal spots of his opponent, but almost 2 times as much metal, simply due to reclaiming an army that had died on his doorstep, makes me think that reclaiming can be pretty viable...
    stuart98 and andrehsu like this.
  9. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Link?
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I'm of the opinion that ifi reclaiming is to be viable, the extraction rate of T1 mexes should be reduced by at least one and preferably two metal per second and the T1 energy plant should be buffed with something like 50 less cost and 200 more energy.
    tatsujb and ace63 like this.
  11. ace63

If you don't want to argue you just shouldn't post at all.
    tatsujb and stuart98 like this.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Reclaiming is amazing.

Spending extra energy to get even more metal from a battlefield?

It's very very nice.
  13. MrTBSC

you say its broken i say it's the absolute least fix the game would ever need at all ... and frankly yes i find it rediciulous .. compared to the amount of micro you have to do anyway this is the least of your problems ... because what does some saved ammount of power while on a metalstall gain you?
    it would just lead to more resourcehopping ...

and it would be rather an ammount of codingwork for something compareably insignificant ..
    and like it or not i will post
    Last edited: August 31, 2015
  14. liq3

liq3 New Member

What? It'd be a trivial fix code wise. Seriously it'd probably be like 10 lines of code max.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Do you know that for a fact?
  16. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

It seems like all they'd have to do is replace the current code for handling energy usage with the code they have for handling metal usage and then swapping all occurances of metal and energy.
  17. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Those famous words heard at the start of almost all of these hopeless, never ending refactoring undertakings.
    cola_colin, DeathByDenim and igncom1 like this.
  18. huangth

huangth Active Member

I think reclaiming unit wreckage is very important and useful for me.
    You need several steps to make it much easier to be used.

Set the hot key for selecting idle fabricator. (I think the default key is the 'F', but I maybe already modified it before.)
    And set the hot key for reclaiming. (My hot key is the 'E')
    Use area command to reclaiming the area after the local combat.
    Then you will see the metal burst.:)

No matter you are spending metal or reclaiming metal, you need the power!
    In early game, make sure you get enough power plants.
    After enough basic construction, you should also build at least one storage for both metal and power.
    Without the storage building, it is near impossible to reclaiming without the metal waste.
    Storage also delays the resource waste, and the player can increase the factories to keep up with the production speed later.

About the combat engineer, their first priority is to repair nearby units.
    But when they are idle, I think they will reclaim if they are patrolling while you have enough power.
    Last edited: August 31, 2015
  19. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I'll have to find the replay.
  20. ace63

Just because you "say" something doesn't mean its true.
    I posted valid arguments, you proceeded to try to ridicule me without posting arguments at all.

And how is having to shuffle a vast majority of your fabber line around more micro than anything else in this game?
    By forcing this micro on the players you create a Starcraft situation: The one who clicks fastest gets the best results.
    Or you just have to resort to things like @cola_colin's mod to fix the broken economy system and giving you a distinct advantage over any player who doesn't use them.

Energy is used for all kinds of stuff, like radar, teleporters and all kinds of weapons. How could you NOT not want to waste it?

Thats wild speculation on your part. One could also go and say "the systems are already in place, you just have to swap the resource handling class to the one that metal uses" which would be just as useless without knowing the interiors of the engine.

Yeah I expected that...