Economics needs more complexity

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Timevans999, August 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

I think some posts have disappeared from this thread.
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Or there are more posts displayed per page by default not. Either way, I don't think it's that important as long as we know what we're currently discussing.
  3. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that most of the posts made in the 12-24 hours before the forum change have not been carried over. Not really too much that can be done about that.
  4. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

most of it was off topic and irrelavant
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I just went and counted the number of posts in Page 13 of this thread. There was 20 - which is exactly what I thought the old forum was using.
  6. Gorbles

Well, if we've lost some, we've lost some. I thought this thread had gone up to 30 pages or so, which would explain the halving in number (i.e. if it was 10 posts per page previously).
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I think everyone but MadSci has forgotten about the fact that there is an orbital layer that can have upwards of several hundred celestial bodies, including asteroids; 90% of which will be metal-rich. So if you can't expand outward, you expand upward; literally. The best way to do this would be to promote orbital play by making it cheaper the smaller the planet is (which would make sense; the smaller the planet, the sooner you'd want to get the hell off of it). I've rifled through the Orbital units folder and sadly found that most orbital units (meaning average units, like Fighters and Fabbers) cost more than the Nuke Launcher.

This makes me a sad panda, as I'd much prefer orbital be cheap and unreliable than expensive and reliable. The sooner you can get players into space the sooner than can experience the awesomeness that is PA. In open defiance of all logic, orbital units should not be expensive.
  8. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

/Signed.
  9. YourLocalMadSci

I very much concur. They should be priced in a similar range to most other units. The last thing i would like to see is the idea of orbital units which can flit between planets without a care, meaning their massive mobility advantage is balanced simply by jacking up the cost.

There are better ways to do this, and better ways that players can be given access to the riches of the solar system.
    Last edited: August 14, 2013
  10. carnilion

carnilion Member

did that too, even if all is not final, maybe you understand now why i meant we need some increase in eco. if that is to change then we obviosly dont need that. but since i dont see another way to balance it then with cost...
  11. mushroomars

YOU REDUCE THE COST SILLY! They don't *need* to cost that much. This is a game, orbital units can be made of styrofoam, duct tape and the Will of the Holy Imperator-Commander to hold it together. There's no sense in making every single orbital unit as expensive as the Nasa Space Shuttle * 100, because it would make getting to orbital a boring ecogrind and cold war with your enemy.

Did you even read the rest of my post, or did you see that snippet and think "I CAN FIND A WAY TO MAKE THIS GUY THINK LIKE ME!"?
  12. nanolathe

Carnilion, other than, you know... Disadvantages; the thing we've been talking about for over a hundred posts now.

Why would you make Orbital units even the most basic ones, so powerful that even with any other balancing factors, each one costs more than a Nuke?
    Last edited: August 14, 2013
  13. Gorbles

Because bigga is betta.

And red onez go fasta.
  14. nanolathe

'Ork' mentality indeed. When enough Orks believe in a thing... it happens.

That just makes me even more concerned :oops:
  15. mushroomars

Da boyz is gettin' all russled up boss, we gots ta go!

Der doze big stompy bots up there in da sky we gots to smash, why we'z standin' round like grotz?
  16. nanolathe

I don't think Orks would use the word "rustled"... and they use the word "iz" and "why'z", rather than "is" and "why's"
  17. YourLocalMadSci

Is it just me, or are a lot of the more recent posts disappearing as well? Is this a bug in the new forum software, or is a mod stepping in for some reason.

If the latter, it would probably be helpful to have a reason explaining why to avoid confusion.
  18. carnilion

carnilion Member

lets hope it is a mod who will explain the ppl in pm or so why he did what he did and not a bug...cause bug would be very problematic since we dont get all posts and reactions could be misinterpratet that way.
  19. nanolathe

It's happening across multiple threads with even Dev posts going missing.

It's a bug. I'm assuming it's a rollback, since the replies that go missing seem to be "time sensitive" as to which stay, and which go.
  20. bearman80

bearman80 New Member

Most games have "expansion balance". Making the game slightly self balacing towards the underdog (territory vise), is a good thing. It makes for interesting comebacks.
    One of many examples is Civilization 5.

Example of what it would make possible: In a FFA 4 player game, with only 2 players left:
    A very small stealth:ed high eco base on an astroid producing astroid bombardment against a player that have conquered most planets would be very interesting, that is one of many possible comebacks this could give.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.