Economic Meltdown.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by imperatorurist, March 26, 2015.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

[​IMG]

-Eco balance is fine. I kinda wish commanders could make more metal though, because the starts are pretty slow.
    -AA needs some tweaking, the only mobile AA is the spinner and it's pretty freaking slow. I can't do anything about air spam unless I spam my own air.

/thoughts.
    tatsujb, radongog, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The UI is what keeps my friends from playing.

When you click a button, or order a unit, it shouldn't need to wait to respond.

I can excuse it in supcom because of the pathing, but the overall UI lag is infuriating.

That said, the main thing that keeps me from playing more is that the SP content is stale, and even the AI while good at single planet play, is utterly worthless at cross planet play.

I can only play so many single planet games before it becomes kinda boring. :/

Forums are fun tho.
    tatsujb and cmdrflop like this.
  3. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I agree but i hope for the best. This game is still the best alternative to TA and playing on a planet is like blood for vampires.
    sardaukar666 and Alpha2546 like this.
  4. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

haha that was only on update days anyways.
  5. slocke

slocke Active Member

The eco changes for me where just like whoop-de-doooooo. Just relearn a new opening build, thanks uber. It didn't do much to the game as opennings were never really a make or break thing, for me at least. I did prefer to have a nice quick pace right out the gate because I could keep up with it. I can see how for some players who have lower apm this is not appealing. Compared to other issues to be dealt with the balance it was like why uber why choose to do this.

Based on how they balance and their thinking behind game design I don't have confidence that they will get orbital into a good place. At least not in the near future. Orbital is a big draw for a lot of players, as well as super weapons. They should focus on balancing around what makes their game unique, reinforcing those game mechanics.

The ladder as well has not been addressed since implementing. There are some really major faults with it that turn players off wanting to participate on it. A lot is what you mentioned but I would also like to note the maps. I got really sick of some of the maps. I didn't want to play ranked because I didn't to play on some of those maps. What would have been amazing is a randomly generated symmetrical map. That and more than one starting spawn on a planet.

AND I WILL NEVER FORGIVE TVINITA FOR WHAT HE DID TO AIR. NEVEEEEEEER!!! *sobs violently*
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Literally the only thing you have to do is include 1 extra mex and 1 extra pgen
    tatsujb and Alpha2546 like this.
  7. slocke

slocke Active Member

umm exactly why i said whooop-de-doooooo
    sardaukar666 likes this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I honestly have no idea what that expression means.
    I agree orbital needs more work, though I feel no matter what balance is done with it, it won't be any fun before the UI is better to handle it.
  9. slocke

slocke Active Member

It means 'who cares' or 'not a big deal'.
    cola_colin likes this.
  10. slocke

slocke Active Member

If orbital was more of a paper-scissor-rock type of deal. avenger>anti-orbital structure unit>orbital structure>avenger. That alone would make it a lot more interesting. Then you have the rest of the orbital units as utility/siege roles. Remove jig explosion, remove the energy production from jigs(this is to nerf their eco income as well as force people to build solar arrays). Maybe even remove the storage from the jigs and make a orbital storage structure.

Deep space should only reveal what is in the orbital of the planet it is on and then add an orbital deep space. A building in the orbital layer that can reveal the orbital layer of other planets. This would make it vulnerable to snipes which would balance out how powerful the omni-vision of the deep space is. I feel that the deep space is a very powerful structure but I feel nerfing it's vision will detract from game play. Instead the deep space should be nerfed in another way. Giving it high upkeep cost will only hurt early and it will remain the same late game. If it is easily killable by the enemy then it balances the power of its vision because it has a viable counter at all stages of the game. If you control their orbital you control their vision of your orbital. Letting you preform ssx snipes and expanding to other planets and all that.

I feel this would be one of the easier paths Uber could take to spice up orbital play. I have pitched this idea to Tvinita but he didn't seem to care much for it.
    Nicb1, DalekDan and sardaukar666 like this.
  11. slocke

slocke Active Member

While I'm at it I'll have a rant about air. I do not like the concept of the death weapon. I think it is a terrible direction to take to try and balance air. I feel that anti-air structures should be buffed making air harder to siege. Make air more focused on raiding and anti-ground. Tweak the numbers of anti-air units till it is at a point where air trades fairly with other units.

Death weapon is a cheap fix for stacking that doesn't resolve the root of the problem. It only punishes players for doing what the game allows it to do.

Also I would like to have auto-landing be an optional thing. Most of the time it gives no benefit what so ever. And guess what is an easy work around for auto-landing? Stacking! Hah go figure. Now I know there are other ways but stacking is one of the lowest apm options. Requires least amount of clicks. Select air and click on a unit. Now you don't land! YAY!
    sardaukar666 likes this.
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Ffs there's little wrong with the current balance.

Lack of players is result of lack of major update + sale (Well at least the last update focused on single player so is unlikely to boost multi player numbers).

Every set of balance changes, someone always complains bitterly, declares how much better one of the old balances was and then attacks the dev who did it. We drove scathis away with this, tvinta has spent a lot of time watching streams and talking to players can we try to keep it constructive with him as he does take the time to listen.

I guess it's possible uber are moving into a currently unannounced project, and that development of pa is coming to an end, or they're planning another big update and a sale to boost things again, until something is announced however lets avoid all the sky is falling stuff and negativity.

One thing I'm confident about, uber don't give up without a fight so I'm expecting some sort of announcement soon :)
  13. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

So: Let me resume everything: Back then we had highly inefficient Tier I fabber, ultra-tanky energy plants and fabs that were like two times more efficient than fabbers.
    All these issues have been wiped away, resulting in the following: After ~one minute of gametime we got the resources we used to have BUT have a basis to build up a clever base/ a growing economy/ ect.
    Previously we had the right base to spam tons of Doxes, but more than four fabbers would critically impact economy. So WHY SHOULD ALL THIS BE BAD?! :confused:

O.K., I guess I know what´s your problem: You do imagine that rebalancing the commander economy output had nothing to do with rebalancing every else?! o_O Guess what, you´re wrong! :p
  14. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Oh, and not having tons and tons of active players: Guess what, tons of (stable) patches, big sales and NEW UNITS are the things that do tend to attract new players. Guess what we haven´t had in the most recent past...
    (but we had them this year, apparently in the first two months of 2015 and even right now playercount is much higher than it had been for most time in 2014!)