DunkTank's Pro [TANK] Guide

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Strategy and Tactics' started by DunkTank, August 18, 2010.

1. Cmoney215

Cmoney215 New Member

i agree grapple can be good but if your going to grapple and your that close anyway then why not just death blossom?
  2. DAlicious

DAlicious New Member

Should mention that your Tank/Passive will fill your life bar up when you upgrade it. Usually I don't upgrade unless I'm entirely safe or just died and back in the safe zone. But there are occasions where you can duck around a corner and upgrade your passive to get your life back during a fight.
  3. Briq

Briq New Member

One interesting thing I saw a dev post that I believe is worth noting is that the damage of a death blossum spin is dependent upon how much ammo you had left in your clip before the spin. I thought it was set amount of damage, making it better to spin near the end of a clip, but I guess I was wrong. Another good tip is to railgun the moneyball. Deployed juiced railgunning the moneyball is about the fastest moneyball killer in the game. With the tank's high amount of health, the health regen provided by his passive and deploy, and the grapple immunity given by deploy, he can usually solo the moneyball with juice even with turrets and pros defending it. One thing I'd be interested to know is how much health is given by rank 2 and 3 of the tank's passive ability. I prioritize rank 3 of his passive pretty high on my upgrade list, but I've been thinking about upgrading other abilities before going right for passive 3.
  4. NardDog

NardDog New Member

The Nard Dog approves this message.
  5. YouAreOutOfMy5

YouAreOutOfMy5 New Member

In some cases, I'd rather grapple my enemy for a guaranteed ring-out kill against a Gunner or Support (I've even been able to grapple an obvious Assassin charging towards me). For example, on the Ammo Mule arena, there have been many times I've grappled a Gunner off the edge trying to be sneaky and jetpack behind the wall on the far left or right side of the map. :lol:
  6. Adree1

Adree1 New Member

Just tested this and it does seem true but the difference is extremely slight. Like a few pixels of life slight, you are far better off burning at the end of a clip. Also using the clip upgrade doesn't seem to give double the damage or even 10% more.
  7. Briq

Briq New Member

Got ya, thanks for testing.
  8. vintoks

vintoks Member

Good stuff here.

I wanted to add that I find deploy lvl2 useful as a quick heal in the brief downtime between kills or if you are low on health with no escape and are being pursued. It can also be useful in choke-points if you position your back to a wall or glass so that pro's can't flank your blind spot.

Also there are some very effective Tank builds with Speed and/or Skill recovery to give the Tank better mobility and map control.

Edit: After running some tests I've found that running the Tank class with gold speed puts his movement on par with the default Assault and Support Classes.
    Last edited: August 24, 2010
  9. NotColemansAlt

NotColemansAlt New Member

Mobility shmobility, this guide is golden.
  10. Neargood

Neargood New Member

The only level 3 skill I think is essential is Product Grenade 3. If you're doing well and the lanes are pushed far enough in your team's favor, you should consider using the $800 you save from not buying Charge 3 and Passive 3 on a midgame Juice and then use it to base rush.

When to buy and use the Juice is a matter of timing. Usually I like to check for certain things before making the $500 investment.
    -How many people are actually defending the base? What classes are they?
    -Is it almost time (every 5 minutes) for the Jackbots to come out?
    -Can I easily take down multiple turrets in 1 Juice?
    -Is there a level 3 Rock-It turret ($1400 total) that I should concentrate on?
    -Is the enemy moneyball shield down?

Juice-rushing the turrets and moneyball along with the extra income from easy Pro kills will usually get you lots of money towards another Juice. With the proper timing, the enemy team will have a hard time stealing the momentum back.
  11. Wile E Coyoteee

Wile E Coyoteee New Member

Quick question.. The level 3 Product Grenade, do the mini-grenades that spawn off of it also blind as well, or just do damage? I never did know!
  12. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

just damage
  13. Alecvgamer

Alecvgamer New Member

Great guide! I use the rail gun primarily, but never realized how useful the product grenades are. For perks though, I use gold armor, silver rate of fire, and bronze regen.
  14. Bankshot

Bankshot New Member

No offense to you railgunners, but if you want to snipe choose sniper. Otherwise you are just selling yourself short and holding your team back.

*Queue tanks claiming they railgun 55-0 and MVP every match...
  15. Shammas

Shammas New Member

The fact is you are safely putting damage on people and allowing your other races to clean them up easily, or vice versa. You can effectively neutralize their gunners and snipers and control the map.
  16. Bankshot

Bankshot New Member

Then why not just play a class that was built to effectively utilize that play style?

I'm just saying that playing the tank as a ranged class is not playing efficiently and to your full potential.
    The only upside I can see, is more survivability for a rail-gunning tank.
  17. Shammas

Shammas New Member

The only other one is the sniper. The problem is that the sniper lacks the health or close range ability to ward off opponents who get close. You keep a gunner at top-mid and keep the tank near the bot lane so he can push the bots up and rail gun opponents that try to take out the gunner.
  18. MootPinks

MootPinks New Member

Nice guide. I tend to play a slighly longer range game initially, relying on product grenade and rail gun to move up behind my bots, taking out enemy bots and any pros that accompany them, then taking out the nearer enemy turrets. Apart from the obvious advantages of the damage done to the enemy, it also distracts a fair few of the enemy team, leaving your teammates free to do their thing. Once closer to the base I'll stay mobile and go into full tanky mode, grenading and flame gunning turrets, using cover as much as possible to recharge health and lure enemy pros into close combat.

I'm using Product Grenade 3 more and more. Even if it doesn't kill a pro, it's disruptive enough to confuse/scare most into doing something fatally stupid. It's usually my first purchase, followed by passive, then charge. I generally leave Deploy on 1 and spend all later $ on turrets or bot spawns, but from these tips I think I'll start using it in certain situations.

Endorsements: Gold Armour, Silver Health Regen, Bronze Fire Rate. I'm considering dropping health regen and switching skill recharge to gold or silver, and seeing whether passive 3 + occasional Deploy are good enough to get the same survivability. More frequent product grenades and charges would be very welcome.

Against other classes:

Assassin - free money for me. Charge, flame, spin (not necessarily in that order) and they're dead. I love that these girls repeatedly try and back-grapple you and die 10 times in a row before giving up.

Sniper - bad ones (most) can be grenaded/outsniped at distance and are dead if you get close. Good ones are dangerous and I'll stay in cover until I can close the distance, or jump around and distract them while a teammate counter-snipes.

Support - second least feared class after assassins for me, despite all the posts claiming they're overpowered. Product grenade + either weapon deals with the firebase and does enough damage to the support that he's easy to finish off. Keep the support far enough that he can't land an air strike on your head or shotgun you point blank in the gonads.

Gunner - dangerous at medium range. At long range can be rail gun sniped. Close up can be grenaded/charged/melted.

Tank - try and get the jump on them, hope they don't know their class as well, pray your armour lasts longer than theirs.

Assault - bad ones are effortless. Good ones are the class I most fear. Fast enough to run/fly out of flamer range, devastating charge 3, bombs and grenades to watch out for, plus an assault rifle with crit+fire rate+accuracy can burn down your armour as quickly as a Gunner it seems.
  19. stokeworth

stokeworth New Member

I was all set to post on the underpowered thread about how useless I thought the tank was, but then I saw this thread and tried the layout, and it is a completely different game now. I was completely wrong about the tank, and barely even touch the jet gun any more. Thank you for this.
  20. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

if u dont use the jetgun ur doin somethin wrong