DunkTank's Pro [TANK] Guide

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 Strategy and Tactics' started by DunkTank, August 18, 2010.

1. FiercelyFuzzy

FiercelyFuzzy New Member

They can not one shot you from behind. It takes 2-3 depending on your health and armor level, and their sniper level.
  2. The_Support

The_Support New Member

They can. It has been tested. :mrgreen:
  3. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

Other than the topics that have already been brought up, what does everybody think of this guide? Does it need to be expanded or simplified? Any suggestions?
  4. The_Support

The_Support New Member

From how it sounds and what I have seen, it looks good. I'm going to mess around with a Tank/Support combo when I get home with a friend and check it out. I'll let you know how it goes after I try it. :mrgreen:
  5. Shammas

Shammas New Member

The deploy IMO is useless. The only advantages I notice are longer jetgun range and infinite clip. Honestly, you are better off getting close up with a charge and jetting/blossoming them. You are left open to snipers, airstrikes, enemy product nades, assault bomb, almost anything that can capitalize off of your lack of mobility. The only time I ever use it is in blitz mode because the infinite ammo is useful.
  6. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

decent guide. i focus my tank on just eatin damage and gettin in close with the red boost skill. as long as im not gettin shot midrange by gunners i can kill almost anything and ring out the few classes the can actually hurt me. (love it when assassins keep tryin to grapple me since i can 1hit them with my charge skill)
  7. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

Decent? Well I mean I think I've covered just about everything there is, and just because your playstyle revolves around the charge doesn't mean a different strategy is "decent".
  8. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

The only time I use deploy is when juice rushing the moneyball so that I don't get grappled, depending on the enemy team composition. Doesn't need to be upgraded to serve that purpose
  9. SurplusGamer

SurplusGamer New Member

Deploy is the last thing I upgrade but when fully upgrading it's great for quick recharging health, really useful when in a last line of defense scenario at the moneyball. I never used to use it but now it's saved my life more than once and got me some great kills.
  10. Briq

Briq New Member

This is pretty much how I see deploy. It's low on the priority list, but better than 400 bucks worth of turrets/bots/hazards. By the time those really come in handy I have a lot of money to spare anyway.
  11. Bankshot

Bankshot New Member

The guide is solid.

You may want to add in different tank play styles and the endorsements required.

DPS tank with reload/fire rate/ X
    Survivability with armor/hp regen/ X
    and so forth.

There are many great ways to play tank!
  12. Galaxy010

Galaxy010 New Member

I'm a big Tank player and found this guide pretty accurate, however I make one suggestion: switch the Gold and Silver endorsements. Even with RoF Gold I find it hard to kill people with the Rail Gun, but I use it mostly for taking out bots at range, which RoF silver does fine. The big plus for having Gold Armor is if you have Passive 3, you will NEVER die because of an Assassin: even if they have sword and backstab you. And with the frequency you see Assassins online right now I find it more beneficial.
  13. FiercelyFuzzy

FiercelyFuzzy New Member

I have 2 Tank custom classes, I have Gold RoF for one and Gold Armor. If I see a game is heavy Assassin I bring armor.
  14. Red Rain

Red Rain New Member

sry dude not like ur guide is perfect. i have yet to find a use for deploying in crossfire cuz tehe loss of mobility isnt worth it
  15. DAlicious

DAlicious New Member

I'd say a great guide as a place to start, but my suggestion to people would be to use that a few times and then adept it more to their style of play. For example I used a very similar build for my tank initially but i quickly realized I didn't use product grenade enough to justify purchasing it first, and later to buy it at all. Find what works best for you with this guide and then make the alterations you need. I'm going to offer a few suggestions I think would improve your guide, and then I'll comment on how I play tank myself at the bottom in case you think anything from there is useable or interesting. So you know something about where the advice is coming from, I will say that I have something around 100 MVP titles in 180 or so wins (perhaps out of 230 full games total i dont really know). I have played Tank almost exclusively. My k/d is around 1.8 which i consider pretty good for a very aggressive tank. I would say on average I have the 2nd most kills in the game and 1st/2nd in points - I also will kill more turrets than anyone else. I won't claim to be one of the best players in the game. I've run into a few guys who have chewed me up and spit me out, but not that many and usually they are gunners/assaults that tanks are a bit susceptible too. Certainly I don't have a cakewalk every game, but I do feel like I'm justified in thinking I'm one of the better Tanks in the game, or at least good enough to make a few comments.

1. Assassins - the best way to deal with an assassin that has grappled you, if you have have a charge available - is to charge them. A level 3 charge will kill an assassin or sniper almost everytime. (If they have support boosted health or an armor endorsement or something it won't). Even a level 2 charge on an assassin will leave them near death then you can polish them off.

2. Ice traps from snipers can be hovered over. This might be pretty obvious so you didn't mention it but I thought I would.

3. Wholehearted agreement with you on Gunners. There are two conditions you should engage a Gunner. (1) they are far enough away in the open that your rail gun does more damage than their machine guns. Particulary when they are deployed. or (2) you are right on top of them, jet gun and minigun at point blank range are fairly equal and lvl 3 charge leaves stunned. If a Gunner spots you at medium range on the right side just get behind a wall and follow it to the left side and go around him. There's no point, he will make swiss cheese of you.

For assault guys I'll just follow walls to get nearer to them.

As far as the Jet Charge, you can use it to close distance if you want, but I rarely do unless I'm chasing someone. Or unless it's a class I'm confident that if I get in close range I'll win without having it available for the fight. Where I really only use Charge as a way to deal damage/stun/ringout in fights, and after a fight there often might be someone else trying to finish you off, the nice thing about a lvl 3 charge is that even if you are near dead -i f you get behind a corner. You can charge, do a ton of damage with it. Leave them stunned, then finish them with the jet gun before they can react. I have something in the area of 2000 jet gun kills, 600 charge kills, and 200 Ring Outs. So something like 1/3rd of my kills are FINISHED with the charge not to mention the other 2000 likely had a charge as an opening move as well. Particularly I like to hover above someone after I've charged them and shoot the jet laser down, so when they get up they then have to track me down in the air, very difficult. (This requires a slightly awkward way of holding the controller).

I would also advise to learn where you can jump. Using jet pack effectively can quickly get you to enemies or away from enemies depending on what you want.

As to how I personally play the tank, I use Gold-Armor, Silver - ROF, Bronze - increased clip size. I feel like reload or health regen might feel nice but the 1/2 second they might save you can be strategized around. I use the rail gun a little bit but really only as a way to kill a few bots or ping someone at a distance as I approach. I don't like Deploying ever. I don't like Death Blossum against players, unless someone is very near death and/or your clip is almost empty anyways. Death blossums are great against bots though. The goal is simple, get right up next to people. I have no doubt that Tank is the champion at close range combat, it's just a matter of getting him there and you should do that however is best for you. I personally fashion myself as a base wrecker. I upgrade Tank/Passive and Charge at the start. My next 400 goes to charge 3, next 400 to Tank/Passive 3. Product Grenade is ok, I don't upgrade it though. I often forget to use it and I personally feel like if you hit someone with it it puts them into retreat mode (not to mention potentially warns someone who didn't know you were there, that you are near). If one of the two turrets next to your money ball is destroyed, I build a rocket turret there. Otherwise I don't build turrets. Use the other money you generate on juice and annihilators. A juiced up tank can kill somewhere between 3 and 5 turrets depending on the level of the turret and if they are being healed. Don't be greedy and chase people in their base while juiced to pad your kill stats, they're just going to respawn in 6 seconds at the same spot and you probably used 1/3rd of your juice. Much better to kill turrets. After you wreck turrets Tanks are then the best class at advancing bots, go protect your bot line through the ring of now defunct turrets. If you aren't able to push bots in you probably have 350$ or so from the previous turret killings and pushing the bot line so just harass their pros as they leave their turret line, try to knock out a turret or two and you'll have $500 pretty quickly to get rid of turrets again. Also make sure near the end to be able to buy juice for overtime. There's probably other stuff. I do move my pointer finger down to the A button and use my middle finger on the trigger and I fight other tanks/Gunners while hovering around to make myself a harder target.

Got a bit long winded but was nice to discuss tank
  16. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

Thanks, do you mind if I add bits and pieces of that to my guide?
  17. YouAreOutOfMy5

YouAreOutOfMy5 New Member

One thing you forgot was the Tank's amazing grapple that throws any class a far distance without any upgrades, unlike the Assult or Sniper which need to upgrade skills to be able to grapple throw.
  18. DAlicious

DAlicious New Member

Feel free too, my hope was to make the guide better and see some more tanks out there! Figured instead of making my own thread I'd just add in here. I think the tank deserves more recognition. Some other classes are better for getting kills, or controlling the field, but I seem to be able to set things in motion to actually win the game with the Tank better than other classes can.

Except Steep Peel arena. Grrrrr. A giant tank trap :(

YouAreOutOfMy5: Does the rail gun grapple throw people? You shouldn't really have that gun out for close fights though. It could occasionally come in handy by happenstance I guess. If you're just talking about the lvl 1 Charge that's more or less discussed already and I don't really consider it a grapple (I actually like it more than a grapple since there's no animation to get you hurt during)
  19. YouAreOutOfMy5

YouAreOutOfMy5 New Member

My bad. I meant the rail gun's alternate fire (have rail gun out and press left trigger.) And yes, the grapple does throw opponents. I don't use it as an initial offensive move, I use as a last resort measure if someone surprises me while I have the rail gun out at close range. I find that I'm able to maneuver my enemy to go nearer the edge then I use it for a ring out kill.
  20. DunkTank

DunkTank New Member

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. As good as the grapple is, it seems to me that I never really have the railgun out when anybody is close to me. Thats why I chose to leave it out. :mrgreen: