Dummbing down

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Timevans999, May 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoughtbaj

Zoughtbaj Member

Where did "Dumbing Down" even start? I've heard it for years now, and I only ever hear it used when someone's complaining about some silly thing. For all people care, someone could call pulling a brick out of a jenga tower "Dumbing Down."

It's a bandwagon term. People. Please stop using it.

Also, I have no idea where this thread is going. But the game certainly isn't getting "Dumbed down." (Come to think of it, compared to what?)
  2. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Wiki to the rescue:

Btw. wiki is a viking.
  3. kmike13

kmike13 Member

Why, do you have something against rushing?

(can you PLEASE change the title, it looks really stupid with two M's)
  4. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

They mean dumbing down as to make the learning curve less steep. The learning curve of Supreme Commander was a pretty steep one. Yeah, you could pick it up and just play, but to actually enjoy it and play in multiplayer games, you had to be one determined bastard and a quick-learning one at that.

Supreme Commander 2 on the other hand could be played by pretty much anyone with half a brain-wave. All of the units were pretty generic, and their roles were obvious and narrow. Tanks blow stuff up, Assault Bots blow stuff up faster but get blown up faster, Artillery blows up stuff slowly, Missiles blow up bases, etc. Mass Extractors extract mass at mass points. They are good. Power generators power generate. They are good as well.

The only real learning curve to the game was finding and exploiting things. For example, walking navies, mass fabrication (read: zero-point energy), jump jets, jump navy, Illuminate turtlefagging, UEF Fighter air superiority, UEF just-add-water kill-everything Rockheads, UEF Artillery superiority, etc. That was the only good thing about the game, and even then it was BURIED under that awful thing they called a research tree.

And don't even get me started on Supereme Commander 2's Economy.

People are just afraid that PA will turn out like Supreme Commander 2, which luckily, it only seems to be taking the good parts of SupCom 2 and running with them (Unit Cannon, Experimentals being cost-efficient compared to regular units/practically being regular units, no redundant units).
  5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

6. Grimseff

Grimseff Member

Um, what are you trying to show us here? :)

I have some guesses, but I'm too shy to say them... :|
  7. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

8. pheagey

pheagey Member

yep...
  9. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

This forum is baffling sometimes. A guy asks a silly fragmented question, and normally it would just sink to the bottom and be ignored. But here, it explodes overnight into 5 pages of analysis. Crazy!
  10. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

I have been sounding people out on the forum to see what happens and who is mellow.
  11. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I think a better time for this discussion is when we know more about the specifics of features in PA. The original post is very vague and unlikely to yield an interesting discussion.

Locking this because this thread is crossing into flamewar territory.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.