1. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

True, I think there's a different pill for that symptom though. Dropship's aren't the one-size-fits-all interorbital attack vector, they're just another color in the palette. I agree that there does need to be some counter-aerial solution for the orbital theater... but it could be something not shaped like a dropship.

Granted, a dropship letting loose a bunch of T2 fighters would be fairly disruptive to aerial superiority... >:3

Kind of similar to what BP what talking about, I think. I don't dislike it, but a lot of love would have to be given to it to make it feel right.
    igncom1 likes this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

No, that's what the unit cannon was for.

Mike
  4. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

[​IMG]
    Just kiding...couldnt avoid it
    Anyway
    Dropships are an exelent idea to break planetary fortress, but what worrys me is the problem that uber keeps having with multi unit transport soo i dont think dropships will be adressed anytime soon in a worst case scenario you´re all that is left Mike we´re counting on you
  5. igncom1

If you can't move multiple units at a time.

Why not just send a 'care package' that self assembles into multiple units instead?
  6. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

The multi-units issue could be avoided having the Dropship *generating* units, like a Factory does.
  7. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

I dont see why the unit cannon and the drop ship cant share the same technology with each other.

Unit cannon would be static.

Drop ships are moble, the unit cannon will launch units to a set point sooo a dropship could just fly there and shoot units from its belly to the surface. Like said earlier "paratrooper" style.

Worried about vangaurd drops? Limit it to infantry only (bots).

Im sorry but the way its looking, youll need a meat shield just to crack a held planet or moon. Or just use boring nukes;)
  8. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

True but it will still need to store because there is no use of producing an unit and droping it, if a planet is fully fortified one by one drops wont even make a crack at the planet
  9. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

Complete speculation but if the Unit Cannon fires one unit at a time they will just get picked off by bombers and gunships set to patrolling a planet. A nuke wont clear a planet of air superiority either.
  10. KNight

If a Unit Cannon's fire Rate is slow one might require more than one to establish a foothold yes. It all depends on he enemy forces and where you choose to assault. If there is heavy air presense you'd naturally want to use a fair amount of AA in he leadin waves.

Mike
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

what if there is no moveable and no orbiting planet for the unitcannon to be of use?
  12. KNight

Then you designed a really bad system? It's like making a starcraft2 map with no ramps or terrain elevation, yeah it might work but its not what the game intended.

That's one of be downsides to open-ended map design like well have in PA.

Mike
  13. MrTBSC

@KNight
    and how do you want to solve the same issue when all rockships/missiles have been destroyed and all orbiting planets have been ocupied by one player while the other has his own main and moons ... is this a bad systemdesign aswell and people shall just call it a day ? ...
    or maybe people simply want to play a system like that ... shall they just end their game in a beamsat stalemate and just deal with it?

even if i made a map with no ramps in starcraft i still was able to get my units everywere ... because of dropships, shuttles/warp prisms and overlords ...
    Last edited: March 26, 2014
  14. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

We shouldn't be allowed to design a system that is game breaking in my opinion.
  15. igncom1

Well.....player choice dude.

Systems should generate with everything you need for a complete and full game, but if a player doesn't want all of those elements.....we should outright prevent them.
    tatsujb likes this.
  16. mredge73

mredge73 Active Member

Absolutely.
    The game is about annihilating your opponent, it isn't sim city space.
    Systems should generate with everything you need for a complete and full game, period.
  17. igncom1

Totally. ;)
    tatsujb likes this.
  18. MrTBSC

we can create planets and systems without naval, we can create planets without groundunits and just naval and air
    why shall we not have a system that have multiple planets without halleys and unitcannons to still be a viable system to play in with everything we need for it?
    theoreticaly we can play in such systems and send armies between planets without using unitcannons or teleporters ... the problem? it just takes a buttload of time and until you have a sizeable army your enemy could have fortified his planet to deathstar 2 times infinity ... needless to say that after that you cant do anything but beamsatspam because there is no friggin way to ever get a teleporter on it, yea you can´t even nuke, have fun with that ... its not worth the work at the current state because austreuses take way to much time and cost to be worth for masstransporting units ... i tried it and i needed like 40 minutes to get just like 70 bots to another non orbiting planet with austreuses ... 40 ! minutes ... by that time in a game with 1 main and 1 moon i might have been defeated like 3 or 4 times trying that approach ... likely even more ...
    yea THAT needs fixing ... and if we can play on such a system propperly without running into stalemates like 99% of the time we surely will able to on every other system ...
    Last edited: March 26, 2014
  19. KNight

You didn't read my entire metaphor;

So basically a large flat map, and the point is not that the is unplayable as much as that it's not being played in a way that is optimal to it's design. It's like trying to race the Indy500 with a stock Honda civic, yes it can go around the course, but the Honda Civic wasn't designed to race against IndyCars.

Hey, if you WANT to play a game you can't finish that's up to you, but it should not be encouraged AND you're not allowed to complain about it afterwards if you've chosen to do so.

Mike
  20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Due to what I understand about making units join into one and back out again, its more difficult to do. Also, because of the theme of the game, I always suggested something else:

Orbital Factories capable of raining units down onto the surface at a steep markup.