Dorkly's kinda meh....

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, November 2, 2014.

1. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Oh god yes. yes. I played Farcry 3 and hated, hated, hated that so much. First half of the storyline: OMG i killed someone. Second half of the storyline: i'm rambo YEA GUNZERKING!. Inbetween: Stealthy pro assassin.

Like what? is this what multiple personality disorder feels like? cause it does. No it doesnt. Yes it does.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It was supposed to be your evolution into a killer, I actually loved it. Im not sure you understand how hard it must be to take a someone's life.
  3. Devak

Devak Post Master General

It's not that. It's that early on, you kill 20 enemies. You get to a cutscene "oh my god i killed someone". yea and 20 others. and 10 tigers.
    Then, the game shifts into "i wanna be rambo" territory. Sneak up onto your target, methodically and stealthily kill everyone, then walk in. Cutscene, you go total RAMBO.

Far Cry 3 was 2 games. The main quests, and everything else. Especially since the Main Quest does not allow you to play according to your playstyle. So if you chose to be a realistic guy and not chew bullets, the game basically says "NO THAT"S WRONG IT NEEDS TO BE RAMBO". Even if you play on hardest difficulty and you can barely take 2 bullets, the game asks you to take 20 because stealthiness doesn't exist in the Main Quest.

Even though i'm supposed to be that scared young adult who doesn't know what he's doing, but whatever the right way is to kill every enemy in a village, apparently Rambo is the only way. Even though every sensible person in that situation (other than GTFO the island) would take a stealthy approach.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

It's funny because I doubt you were even around at the time. Or remember HockeyZombie.

Enjoy the comics, don't be someone stuck in the past.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

At this point it doesn't even mean anything. It's just a reflexive reaction when I see CAD comics.

Wait, hang on "around at the time"? 2008 wasn't that long ago.
  6. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Yes it was. We'll never let you forget how old you are! Aaahahahahahaha!!
    xankar likes this.
  7. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Six years is a long enough time ago to be hung up on. And the origins of your phrase are earlier than that. I hadn't finished high school, which places it at 2006 / 2007 at best.

If you don't know something, don't use it :p
  8. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

To be fair, neither does Ubisoft.
    The story tries to paint Jason Brody as someone who starts off weak and inexperienced and slowly becomes better at what he does. To the point where he starts liking it. The problem is, story is only half the part of a game, and the gameplay is completely disconnected from the narrative.

Example: the story implies that Brody isn't very experienced with firearms, however despite this the SECOND he picks up the first handgun he has the accuracy of a fully decorated colonel. If they wanted to connect the narrative to the gameplay they could have done some minor things to further establish that he's more of a rookie, like make him less accurate in the beginning and slowly get better as time went on.

He was also obviously extremely nervous about shooting people and generally being in this environment, but once again you put him in a stronghold and he's instantly skilled enough to kill them all without getting detected, and even in a firefight he's suddenly able to keep his composure and kill everyone. Again, why not add some gameplay tweaks that make us experience his nervousness? Make him stumble when reloading in an intense firefight, make him worse at stealth earlier in the game, and later in the game have those side effects get less and less common to the point where they're gone entirely, that way the narrative tells us about his character arch and we experience it too. Little things like this would've gone a LONG way with improving the narrative's interaction with the gameplay.

What baffles me most of all, though is that there HAD to be a point where this was at least considered by Ubisoft, because in the game, whenever Brody kills a new animal the animation where he skins it the first time is slow, and it progressively gets faster and faster to a point where it looks effortless for him. It's strange that they'd do it with that and nothing else.
    Devak likes this.
  9. Geers

Ludonarrative dissonance guys. Ludonarrative dissonance.
    Devak likes this.
  10. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand SMBC's back!
    [​IMG]
  11. tatsujb

12. Geers

On the plus side he got an Xbox copy. So no mods. Which means it won't last forever.
  13. squishypon3

Unless he has a computer, but prefers using a controller! =O
  14. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

There isn't anything there except a set of drawers and a TV. He's just holding a controller and watching footage
    stuart98 and squishypon3 like this.
  15. squishypon3

*Takes off sunglasses*

Mother of god...
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. tatsujb

no actually, I think what made him say this is the clear xbox logo on the box in the first scene :>
  17. squishypon3

You can use an xbox 360 or xbox one controller on a PC, and in fact all windows computers come with drivers for them.
  18. tatsujb

you can't play xbox games on the pc. (you're not teaching me anything new here)
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. squishypon3

Emulator of the future? >3>
  20. tatsujb

:rolleyes: common squishy, you've lost me and the whole battalion. give it up. :p next time, perhaps.
    stuart98 and squishypon3 like this.