Don't fall into the pitfalls of SupCom

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by pauloaugusto, June 16, 2013.

1. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Multiple units had "counters" which stacked on top of one another when things got close together. It was a bit confusing because you had to memorize what size counter meant what, and because of the non-linear scaling it was even MORE confusing... I think the game could have benefited significantly from giving each counter a unique shape...

But it was still a very good system. I'm amazed more games don't utilize it.
  2. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

As someone who's never played SupCom, here's what I'd like to see avoided.

Micromanaging workers: There's a whole thread on this, but I'd personally like construction templates, or at least a way to drag-click building construction for walls and power plants.

Deathballs: Also a whole thread on this. Right now, the diversity of defensive options, the importance of walls/angle of attack/debris fields and the spherical nature of planets means it's almost always necessary to go around rather than through, which makes things a lot more interesting than just bashing against one another with deathballs. So good job avoiding that so far.

"Tourney" maps, symmetry. PLEASE DON'T BECOME STARCRAFT. The game has the same map copy-pasted over lord-knows-how-many terrain types, with the same starting base configuration and expansions and GAAAAAH. I *LOVE* adapting to new and unfamiliar terrain. Don't change that!
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yeah we can tell, SupCom had both building templates and drag building and an overall lack of any kind of 'standard' map design as you see in starcraft.

Mike
  4. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Most of us have played FA. We too have put forward these suggestions.
    We have asked Uber for these.
    There is still no confirmation from their end yet.
  5. Culverin

p.s.

They have both been added to the GUI tracker.
  6. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

LOL, thinking this way is impossible not use Stat Zoom.
  7. Culverin

That's the point. We are still playing on very small games.
    I think people are thinking too small.

I think the production manager is needed.
  8. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Well RTS are made to Macro, not Micro.
    The guys from StarCraft2, for example, are playing a RTT, when you need to Micro Only(aeon mode-ON).
    Culverin likes this.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

You should go post on this thread : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/ladders.52732/

I find it amusing that to you tourney's can't exist on procedural maps, very amusing. Times are-a-changing
  10. amphok

amphok Member

it don't give me any advantage, the minimap is the zoomed out map, hell it's even faster than using your wheel all the times
    yes this can make me like the strategic zoom, the icons(don't like fighting with icons sry, it's also very bad from a spectator pov) are the problem not the strategic zoom itself
  11. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

TA-style games don't have to take a long time. Zero-K 1v1 games probably average about 10 minutes long and teamgames are about 25 minutes long.