Does the entire planet still explode if a small moon is halleyed into it?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by takfloyd, August 18, 2015.

1. freddymc

freddymc New Member

Ok, so heres my opinion on all this:
    •I didn't like the crater system. Not because it was buggy, but because it was underpowered. You are wasting an ENTIRE PLANET along with all it's metal spots and building room to make a crater on an enemy's planet.
    •The reason the annihilaser is much more worth it than halleys is because you can use it ay number of times, it doesn't use up anything (other than a crap load of metal, but after you've completed them there is no drawback) and it looks cooler.
    •Asteroids were introduced because of the reason I stated above; why waste an entire planet along with it's resources rather than fortifying it, securing it's metal and building a huge army and then invade the enemy planet? Asteroids have a really small amount (or none at all) of metal, which made them less useful and therefore more viable for planet smashing.
    •The whole complete planet destruction mechanic was added for both balance and technical purposes.
  2. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Wasn't there something about Halleys drillin into the core and using it's contents to accelerate the planet?
  3. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

Halley-Ragnarok confirmed!
    Now I want new model for them, with drilling lasers!
  4. Everfades

Everfades New Member

1. WRONG - if the planet had similar size both got destroyed. And proportional destruction was great as most small asteroids only need ONE or TWO halleys to work and took huge chunks of enemy territory away while leaving the planet alive for invasion. And for 40k metal destroying half a planet was good enough. Obviously wasting a metal rich planet is stupid, but there are barren worlds and small moons with 3-4 metal spots which were worth it for taking down half the enemy on a planet.
    2. Not every system has those and many people prefered smaller destruction with one huge planet all player start on and just some smallest size moons around it to kill heavily defended bases if need be.
    3. And again: The smallest size asteroid with 1 halley: Having a 40k metal instantkilling asteroid is silly. A larger moon used to destroy HALF the planet which looked AMAZING! And several maps had moons without metal resources to make it worth it shooting em on planets. And asteroids would be fine, too. They didn't need to make everything 100% destruction, they just needed to beef up the explosion craters. Now even a small asteroid destroys a 20 times larger max size planet. - That's just stupid and makes using larger planets and moons useless as NOTHING survives smashes anymore. Planets were able to survive a crash into a smaller moon and could be used several times before finally breaking apart. Here is a spreadsheet: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kvjye_qsQrNP9C-i4CJtqEt4vgjSxUOuIUn-YO1jXOg/edit?pli=1#gid=0
    4. I miss those amazing half destroyed planets: or They could have easily altered the system a bit. It used to be 71 or less radius size difference for full destruction and then in 30 steps from half planet gone down to small crater. They could half altered the values to make a minimum of quarter planet crater. And again on the large planets not worth it argument: You were able to launch larger planets into smaller ones and the larger one was able to survive making even using larger planets worth it sometimes. (well, not if you need 25 halleys, but on some custom maps 6 halleys were choosen for balancing) Basically you got a baseball bat bashing all moons one after the other. This way it WAS a multi use weapon against small fries as the engines mostly survived the crash if the size difference was huge enough. And in the end you could crash it into the remaining enemy planet to make both planets explode, winning by having the last planet standing. What they did now is NERF large planet halleys while buffing up asteroid launches to ludachrist levels and at the same time - removing a REALLY FUN part of the game. They should have buffed the destruction by making it slightly cheaper to build the engines and making the crater per radius difference larger (double the size maybe?). I want the proportional destruction back and many others want it back, too. It was one of the most fun parts of the game. Now it's just another way to fully destroy a complete planet, as if we don't have enough ways to do that already... Please devs, bring back porportional based smashing and just beef up the craters per size difference! Make the engines slightly cheaper to balance the not full destruction. Maybe make the explosion release a shockwave which damages everything not hit by the crater instakill on the planet, only leaving high tech units, commanders and buildings alive on the whole planet and having the crater as area denial. (it does destroy all resource nodes which used to be there and makes the terrain unbuildable, it basically cuts the planets resources and space in half.)
    Last edited: September 2, 2015
    ecervele, ace63 and takfloyd like this.
  5. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Everfades, you're the first one besides me who really gets it. It seems most people agree that the current mechanics are bad, but very few seem to have actually made use of the potential the old system had so as to understand why removing it was such a great loss to the game.

Another amazing scene we can't create anymore:

2 planets on the same orbit, one behind the other. The one in the back sloooowly catches up to the one in the front. The one in the back has a huge moon orbiting it.

What you get is this: As the planets get closer, the moon starts slamming into the leading planet repeatedly as it orbits, tearing off larger chunks each time. It happens 4 or 5 times until the entire moon is gone and the planet is left looking like swiss cheese.

Bring back craters!
    Everfades and ace63 like this.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I dunno, I like what we got currently.
    pieman2906 likes this.
  7. Everfades

Everfades New Member

First of all: sorry for all the mistakes - I wrote this message in less than 3 minutes which created several severe spelling and grammar mistakes. ^^"
    Exactly takfloyd, so many people never really understood the potential about the systems because they only placed in systems which didn't allow for such things to happen or they didn't know how the system worked. Especially things like a larger planet with halleys WONT get destroyed completely when it rams a small asteroid or moon. Almost noone who is on the "pro new system" even knew that the system worked this way. They think the planet with the halleys always gets destroyed which is wrong. And partially destruction might not be worth it with many resource nodes on that planet. But there are many systems (and the option for asteroid belts) to have NO metal spots. This makes them less valuable and hence makes it really worth it to use them to create a huge crater inside of the enemy territory. (or even wiping out half a planet)

The system was too expensive with 3 halleys for a small crater. But now we got 1 halley for a small asteroid and you could buff up the crater radius per radius of the "bullet". And with 1 halley (40k metal) even a "small" crater is worth it. And small moons can bomb away half of a planet which is quiet good for 2-3 halleys it needs.

From what I noticed there are more players who prefer the proportional destruction and many who don't like it just didn't know to what extent you was able to use the proportional destruction to your advantage! They think it would just make asteroids weaker. But it changes SO MUCH MORE! And similar size planets still destroyed each other completely. It's not like it always just created a crater.

I think an option to choose proportional smashing on/off would be the perfect solution! Remember SupCom Forged Alliance? There you have literally DOZENS of options in the lobby to set up the game. (like no air, no sea units, no artillery, no t2, no titans, double energy production, half energy production, double metal/half metal, factory as starting unit instead of commander, different game modes like supremacy and king of the hill etc. etc.) Now compare all those options from this EIGHT!!! year old game with what we got in this newly released Titans standalone expansion. The options are a JOKE.

I would love to see the balance changed around a bit with larger craters per radius and proportional smashing being enabled again. But I can live with an option/switch in the lobby instead of a full on change to the old system. PLEASE devs, make this happen. Look at faforever (Forged Alliance privat fan driven servers), the community LOVES forged alliance because it has so many game options to tinker everything to your liking evevn without using mods! Do you want your game to be loved by a large group and make room for future games of your company to be a massive hit because you got some serious fans? Please bring back this awesome, new strategy enabling system of proportional smashing. It was a blast and allowed for so much strategic freedom. Right now we just have a cheap planet killer which is really hard to stop. We got more than enough ways to destroy a planet completely. Changing the planet however like it is with proportional smashing can be a game changer and even if it isn't in some circumstances it still feels and looks amazing. And trust me, if used right and with now 1 halley for an asteroid instead of 3 this still is strong enough to be worth the effort. Especially in systems with one large main planet (1000+ radius) and many small moons or an asteroid belt. PLEASE AT LEAST GIVE US THE OPTION TO ENABLE PROPORTIONAL SMASHING IN THE LOBBY!

I really hope a dev will read this and answer in this thread. I like this game but I think I would seriously LOVE IT if you put proportional smashing back in (buffed up a bit so it is worth it balance wise). And many others would love it to see proportional coming back, too.
    Last edited: September 4, 2015
    takfloyd likes this.