Does "serverside" mean "online somewhere in the cloud"?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by ldj, March 25, 2013.

1. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Fantastic! I know at least 2 other Aussies that have pre-orded this (got the Galactic myself) Makes a huge difference having localish servers :)
  2. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I am australian and i know at least 4 of my friends are backers (including one of the 5k backers...) So yes, us folk down here have some clout.
  3. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

<-- Aussie too. :D Plus several other friends who will have copies...
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Australia represent!

I think I managed to scrap together five mates who pledged, on top of my own pledge.
  5. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Aussie!
  6. AusSkiller

AusSkiller Member

Aussie here too, sounds like we'll have a good number of players :D

But back to topic, I think the bigger concern for PA will be bandwidth rather than ping, with what Uber have been saying about their netcode PA will probably be fairly playable no matter where in the world the server is located (though obviously the closer the better), but with the large number of dynamic entities (mainly units) we might have more issues to deal with server bandwidth, especially here in Australia where most people do not have more than 1mbit of upstream bandwidth. It probably wont be an issue for under 10 players but the larger games may need more than what most people can handle so hopefully Uber include some kind of network test to let users know what is a reasonable maximum size for the games they host.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

The Internet has done two things me.

One is desensitize me to everything but hermaphrodites clothed in bacon juggling chainsaws while surfing a penis-shaped Death Star waging war against Nyan Cat doing every single retarded dance known to America.

The other is make me hate the following sequence of words: 'The' followed by 'Cloud'. It's like stupid-speak for Server.
  8. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

the cloud is really a lot more specifc than a server.

I know plenty of people with servers, but they are not in the cloud. The cloud is accessable from anywhere (servers can be on a lan or without internet). Then there are redundancies, you can assume the game will be dedicated and not running on a potato, etc. Also for anyone who uses software development networks and such, cloud storage is pretty important.

this compared to serverside means "the computer hosting the current game"
  9. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

this will require a pretty hard architeture to develop (by the point of view of the software) GL really
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

It is hard... it's also one of the standard methods for doing multi player games since 1996 when the concept was adopted by QuakeWorld.
  11. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

You do realize how many games have a server system right?

Pretty much every single multiplayer game.
  12. Causeless

Causeless Member

Yup. I'd argue P2P is harder in many ways.