Do you think beta/gamma balance was better than now?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by killerkiwijuice, February 12, 2015.

?

Beta 1v1 Balance VS Current 1v1 Balance?-

1. Beta 1v1 was near perfect

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Beta 1v1 was better, with some huge issues though, including the T2 rush phase

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. The current 1v1 balance is near perfect

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. The current 1v1 balance is better, with huge issues like t1 air spam on large maps

13 vote(s)
    48.1%
  1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Gamma. I believe the testing began in late April. It only took a single day of PTE testing for Scathis to realize that we were right. The economy patch actually ended up coming out in mid May, shortly after Master of May and shortly before the Community Cup.
    Colin be a good fellow and retitle the thread to not have beta mentioned at all. When we think beta, we don't think of the T2 air rush balance of December and January, we think of the grandness of glory of the T1 spam mass proxies of October and November.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The T2 rush balance (and the parry and thrust of territory expansion and proxies it entailed) in gamma was far, far better than anything in beta. I still wonder what would have been if Uber had made minor adjustments to bring T1 back rather than the radical overhaul they went with. Beta featured the abominations that were Hornet and Kestrel rushes, and even at its best was primarily spamming the dominant T1 unit then supporting it with Levellers. On moons.

Gamma. That was when all the XTREME! balance changes started happening.
  3. stuart98

Kestrels didn't exist until mid January and weren't made viable until February 19th.

Beta Balance is September - November. December is not included in Beta Balance.
  4. Quitch

Gamma didn't come out until the end of Feb, so Kestrel rush is all Beta. Their reign was short because of how stupidly OP they were. I remember that FFA video where it was demonstrated just how dumb it was.

Yeah, no.
  5. stuart98

So you'd rather judge the entire beta period by a single week rather than three months of solid balance? :/

Um, yes.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't think that would have actually been possible. The balance back then worked like it did only because large parts of the unit to unit balance were broken and that randomly managed to hide away the large issues the economy on t1 has.
    Basically big balance issues randomly balanced each other out to and created what we had back then. Fixing one of the issues broke it all down and now it is slowly being rebuild.
    towerbabbel and stuart98 like this.
  7. Quitch

Oh, Stuart. Beta is when the game was beta not an arbitrary period of time of your choosing.

Did you ignore every other post I made in this topic or something? And three months of solid balance? You have got to be kidding. You're clearly forgetting the suckage that was T1 air. That tanks rendered bots irrelevant for most of that period. That the Leveller was the only T2 unit you built (until T2 air rushes).

Beta was defined primarily by rapid expansion, moons, T1 Ant or Dox spam (depending on the week), Levellers and missile turrets to stop raids. Beta also has the worst balance moments in the game's history with T2 air rushes, with Hornet rushes starting in December.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  8. stuart98

<Complains about someone using an arbitrary time to define a broad period.
    <Defines that broad period by an equally arbitrary but much smaller time period that's less than a 10th the size.
    <mfw

Oh no, I'm turning into @squishypon3
  9. stuart98

All I'm seeing is you saying that T2 air was OP or that T2 rush was the only way to go.
    The September - November balance had some issues, yes, but at least it was a heck of a lot more fun than anything we've had in recent months and much less micro intensive.
    Last edited: February 13, 2015
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  10. Quitch

We're in a topic talking about beta balance, my defined time period is the period when the game was labelled beta. You're very silly.

Unsure why you keep trying to suggest I'm defining beta as a small period when I've clearly said otherwise. Several times now. You're starting to just troll I think.
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  11. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Going by the PA news blog:
    Beta started 2013/09/26
    Gamma started 2014/02/24
    Launch was 2014/09/05.
    stuart98 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  12. stuart98

Gamma didn't actually launch until February 27 IIRC.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You didn't do the greenest right, the arrows are supposed to face forward. ">"

Oddly enough I never remember being alerted by this. :p
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Quitch, he's right. Seriously. Look at the builds and compare them to the announcements by Uber. The man has it down pat.

Also, the T2 rush balance was something I personally detested - however, in hindsight, it was mostly because I didn't have a clue how to properly eco in RTS games (or macro, as some call it). I've been playing FaF a ton lately and it has given me a lot of appreciation for eco play. It's difficult and time consuming, and I need to get better :D