Do we really need burning trees?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by carlorizzante, April 29, 2014.

1. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

Yes

That is something i thought about too. But for me no reward for relaiming trees is fine. Trees as pathblocking and mapshaping is cool enough.
    Dr4gonBender likes this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

But no one expects the Unit Cannon at release.
    BECAUSE IT'S ALREADY BEEN CONFIRMED TO COME OUT POST-RELEASE.
    Dr4gonBender likes this.
  3. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

This guy totally gets it! Oh and the fires should be able to burn your bases down to the ground!!
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

the effect will probably be deactivatable, however these tree entities are as important as wreaks as they determine whether you can place a structure or not.
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

nope.... but its still awesome too have it ...
  6. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

The answer to this question is the same as the answer to "Do I really need a 24 inch monitor, rather than something smaller?"

No, of course not. But I'm really pleased I have it! :D
    tatsujb, MrTBSC and corteks like this.
  7. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I like the burning tree cool aesthetics, but don't like the gameplay side. I don't want something the same colour as the ground (trees on grass) to delay my factory being built, and cost extra energy to reclaim. I don't want random fire spread to kill my fabricators. I don't want to have to pick a spawn location with less metal extractors to avoid trees that probably-wont-but-might negatively effect my performance.

I am concerned, but I think there IS potential for adding interesting gameplay with the trees.

Last game I played with lots of trees I kept accidentally getting my fighters to shoot at them...
  8. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I -HARDLY- think destructible trees is taking away severe development time from those aforementioned features. And you people need to really stop having such a hard-on for the Unit Cannon.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The fighters shooting at trees instead of moving towards them is a bug.

I'd consider a tree spawn to be advantageous as it means that you get a large amount of free metal as long as you have good energy. If pgens get a cost reduction then I could see it being very beneficial to use them.
  10. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Well it's kinda nice those trees can be used to bump up your metal income early game or when needed. It's also nice to be able to set your opponent's trees on fire to deny them that resource advantage. Perhaps they could also be used to hinder travel and expansion to certain areas of the map or apply damage to forces coming at you.
  11. workerbee

workerbee New Member

Flora was one of the key thing in TA that differentiated it from its competitors. This is a fantastic development.

In TA there were strange alien plants also on certain worlds too. Lets hope we see some of them return here.
  12. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I still think it's really weird to say you're getting metal from trees. Especially since all the trees look like perfectly ordinary carbon-based Plantae and not some weird alien tree which might actually contain significant amounts of metal.
    Gorbles and carlorizzante like this.
  13. Dr4gonBender

Dr4gonBender New Member

14. Dr4gonBender

Dr4gonBender New Member

15. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Wood is the new metal.
  16. tatsujb

: D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D

lord give me strength to resist the temptation..... ARRRRGH! someone please do it! -I've exceeded my quota for bad jokes already!
  17. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Does that make men cyborgs?

Hurrhurrhurr.
  18. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Go ahead.

I DARE you.
  19. tatsujb

:( I dare not.