Do we need tech levels?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lophiaspis, August 19, 2012.

1. core1989

core1989 New Member

I can't stand the research in Supcom 2 you have what 10 research buildings and then your research launches with the power of 10000 nukes.

In one game I played today normal AI would have nukes in about 20 minutes.

I overall like the tier system of tech 1 tech 2 tech 3.

I don't mind research systems if it would be like Starcraft 2 and only benefit your side during campaign or if its way more balanced i.e. I cannot stand rushed RTS games its the whole reason I pre ordered Planetary Annihilation I'm sick of Command and Conquer 3 and onwards.

Command and Conquer 3 was ok but all you had to do is keep spamming units this was ok until someone told Electronic Arts about it and from that day forward I dreadfully hate any mention of anything followed by the word twilight Command and Conquer 4 was terrible stupid walking MCV

Deploy
    **** out units
    Profit

No more base no more Command and Conquer feel balancing just went out the window lets see also. You could only choose support, air , or ground wooo hooo so now I cannot use all my army am limited to one side of it.

I thought in that moment **** Kane has won already.

That being said I cannot wait for even the Beta of this game and am hoping for a game that does take its time. Like the original Supreme Commander accept hopefully it doesn't start to lag an hour in when it seems to lag 3 real seconds for 1 in game second. Hopefully also with decent AI.

I loved playing Total Annihilation back in the day along with the expansion Core Contingency the campaign made me feel like I was a part of that universe I also cannot wait to go to different planets or even galaxies which to me keeps a game going and keeps it interesting unlike most games these days that you play once and that's it.

Also am much more of a player vs AI and love campaigns so hope the game has one but if not skirmish is also cool.

To Uber have a great time keep it Uber and keep it awesome. And It was a bit sad to learn about Gas Powered Games and Chris Taylor having to let off people I hope they all can find somewhere else to employ them.
  2. nightnord

nightnord New Member

Hopefully it's obvious that Uber won't follow SupCom2 path (there is two tiers confirmed, but no any additional detail), nor CnC4. CnC4 is actually good "tactical" game it's just finally shrunk it's scale to bare minimum. Greatest failure of C&C4 was plot/not answering any questions. Hopefully, that's not about PA as well - there is no plot in PA at all.
  3. pureriffs

pureriffs Member

I wont like it if u can make a nuke in 20mins,
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

And then have no counter to it because you went to upgrade your commander/land army/navy/ air force.
  5. pureriffs

pureriffs Member

There will always be an affordable counter to a nuke, I would just rather they were not getting thrown around as quick as they was in SC2. 20 mins too early.
  6. igncom1

Smaller game, smaller time.

I like it in SC2 don't get me wrong but as always: It shouldn't have been called SupCom 2.
  7. pureriffs

pureriffs Member

I agree, I hope PA is not a "smaller game" and would expect it to take the time it took in TA or FA.
    Due to this long length of time to punish the opposition for having no counter the nuke should be massive =). I hate it in RTS games where the nukes take no time to build and does F… all damage.
  8. meltedcandles

meltedcandles Member

i like the tech lvls in TA because if you chose something too quick you would run out of metal and energy, then die because your defences were down. + Peewees are forever
  9. zeus9999

zeus9999 Member

not sure if this has been posted (too lazy to check)
    you could a some spice and make it you can choose from 3 tech trees, military, advanced, and economic
  10. drsinistar

drsinistar Member

What would be the point of that?
  11. taihus

taihus Member

Not sure if serious...

But seriously, have you even played TA/SupCom?

2 doesn't count.
  12. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

He is one of those people.
    SupCom2 people
  13. igncom1

So he has played a generic RTS game based off of SupCom? So what?
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Or played CoH. Either way, it's not the kind of game PA is.
  15. igncom1

16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

uhhh 56 pages of ... too much to read ...
    so general question ...
    how big do you want the unitpool to be actualy?

from what i´ve seen from the unitscale pictures (with those unfinished boxed units)
    i imagine quite a lot ... a real lot ... and this is abit of a concern to me ...
    like say every bot- or vehicle- or air- etc. factory might have like say 5 (as rough estimate) constuctable units each plus additionall tier 2 ... i would say without counting any structures that could be bout +/- 50 units ... ... ?
  17. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Unit whitebox units are representative of the minimum number of of units that would constitute a game.

The Whitebox unit count is not the final amount.

You would have known that if you'd read the thread by the way... or done some research.
    Reading the thread is important mrtbsc, even if it is 56 pages long.

As for the final end total?
    Even Neutrino doesn't know that. Alpha Testers are on the front lines here... We'll be recommending to Neutrino just how many units we need...

In a sense We, the community, have potentially more influence on the game's unit Pool than ever before.
  18. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

So he got his question answered in a fraction of the time it would have taken him to read through the thread and all he had to do was take a little reprehension from you, which - this being the internet - he probably doesn't care about...

Your lesson will stick, i'm sure...
  19. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I can answer his question today...

Maybe next time I won't feel so generous, especially if he makes a habit of asking easily found information. It's a good habit to not expect everything to be handed to you at every step of the way, even if this is the Internet.
  20. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

I imagine the unit pool on release will be around the same as one of the factions of the original Total Annihilation. However, Uber Entertainment stated their desire to continue working on the game afterwards, which includes new unit updates.