Do we need tech levels?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lophiaspis, August 19, 2012.

1. ta4life

ta4life New Member

you just realized wrong:
    it is both a 1v1 and a 2v2 tourney, take the time to read the tourney set up before commenting, that seems to be a pattern here.

I don't put myself on any pedestal, you and a few other just put yourself lower by completely ignoring everything I say and just spewing non sense over and over.

I have no problems with editing recording and uploading. It would take me longer to transfer the files to you than to do it myself, thanks for the offer though.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Maybe, but the fact is that much of your "proof" is still from 2v2 Games.

You mean you'd record your own proof on your own? Don't you think that sounds a bit biased? My original Offer was to help with the testing itself, didn't you read it?

Mike
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

And what do these pro players playing FA to its best have to do with how a 2 Tier tech system works?

I have seen you 'evidence' and these videos prove nothing.

The game's dynamic will shift to accommodate the new playing style, and the pros will return to utilize them.

The sub-genre will move on in one way or another, and probably not towards TA4life's liking.
  4. elexis

elexis Member

Ironically, you have failed to realise that this setup is what 99% of people in this thread since page ~20 have wanted, you are just arguing for argument's sake.

And what do you have to say? Lets look at the start of all your recent posts shall we?

Mmm.
    I see.
    Oh.
    Interesting.

I rest my case.
  5. ta4life

ta4life New Member

please go to page 31 and see what I have to say
  6. elexis

elexis Member

Well seeing that you said please...

*reads*

Ugh here we go again, talking specifics about some other game instead of talking about the topic *AND* managing to attract the ridicule of literally everyone else on the forums (see last 9 pages).

Still waiting for the vid you promise to support your claims, even if they are offtopic.
  7. Anaryl

Anaryl New Member

All of you are discussing a game that has barely begun development. How would any of you know what's appropriate or not.

For a game the size as advertised by Uberent, you'd want lots of tech levels. It's in keeping with the TA/SupCom philosophy and the only recorded deviations were rather average games (SupCom 2 being the most recent example).
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Define "lots", as TA only had 2 and SupCom had 3(plus an add-on Experimental Tier) and the system that is being discussed most favorably here is the same/similar to TA's setup, with General Purpose units in Tier 1 and Specialized units in Tier 2 without any major difference in overall cost(such as HP/Mass or DPS/Mass Ratios, in FA the gaps between Tiers were rather large) allowing both Tiers to see full use throughout a match.

Mike
  9. ta4life

ta4life New Member

What is the benefit of allowing both tiers to be used throughout the match?

Would it not be better to have different unit types with different abilities be available to the player based on a combination of their economic output and their ability to construct and defend certain structures?
  10. igncom1

Why have different units, when you can have more of the same?

More map coverage, more artillery, and more robot army's.
  11. ta4life

ta4life New Member

That is not just some other game, it is one of the games that has been designed by the makers of PA, a game that will have very similar economy... It is Supcom FA the greatest thing in RTS.

Why do you think it is logical to exclude from your observations the one example of a 3 tier system that worked?

I would understand if you gave it a critique and said why it is bad and how PA could be better with less tiers, but instead you are telling me that there is no point in looking at it.

I am curious what could I possibly put into a video that would make you change your mind about the strategic value of tech levels and about the non redundancy of units that come from different tech levels?
    If you have an idea I will try to make it. At this point I am sure that no matter what I show you, it will be side stepped and ridiculed.
  12. ta4life

ta4life New Member

What is wrong with using a 2v2 game? If I used a 1v1 or a 4v4 example you could have replied with the exact same phrase about "meta game"

1v1 example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_-wvyjDNhw
    Supcom FA is a great team game and I hope that PA will be as well.

Am I to believe that you have agreed that you saw the value of tiers in that 2v2 games you watched?
    If that is true then we are making progress.
    Last edited: December 13, 2012
  13. ta4life

ta4life New Member

You can also go play pong and the game dynamic will change.

What exactly is your point, besides stating that you don't get what we are talking about?...
  14. elexis

elexis Member

The video you proposed, if memory serves me right, was to address the concern of your views of how and why the 3-Tier system appear to be completely different to everybody else's views (see the responses to your post on page 31).

Well yes, that is why units with better abilities require a special T2 factory, possibly a continuous power supply from valuable and fragile power generators and also have a cost proportional to their effectiveness.
  15. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

TA4Life, why are you triple posting? :V
  16. igncom1

My point is that your evidence is not credible, and does nothing to support your point.

How pro's play is not evidence of anything other then what is possible, but not what is.
  17. ta4life

ta4life New Member

So your answer to the question: "Why do you like orange juice?" Is: "I like orange juice"
    Thanks, that makes it very clear.

I completely agree with you on the second point, about the T2 factory and fragile infrastructure.
  18. ta4life

ta4life New Member

Because as I scroll through the responses on the thread the madness just keeps increasing, so I was compelled to reply.
  19. elexis

elexis Member

Ok, to rephrase "Because every unit in every tier *should* have something valuable to bring to the game"
  20. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Uber obviously needs to hire ta4life to balance this game. It's clear that he understands gameplay at such an amazingly deep and intimate level that it'd be beneath him to create a coherent explanation of how things should be to us mere plebeians.

**** son, are you blind?

I've given you that one, at least twice over in this thread. And I've done it several times over in other threads.

You haven't explained how and why a three tier system will be better than a two tier system. All you've done is sputter hypocritical tripe.

Now go back to FAF, little boy.

[EDIT:] Gah. There's been like a dozen posts since I started writing this.

[EDIT:] Fixed quote fail shenanigans.
    Last edited: December 13, 2012