Do we need Balance Re-Work?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Gerfand, July 29, 2014.

1. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

probably the best Idea would make a Un-official balance mod, w/ Vanilla units...
    this way if works, Uber could "raise" the mod into a official patch
  2. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

Go look up what these mods do to balance and that's what I'm suggesting. Uber needs to do what they're doing. There's plenty of changes to list but in summary for the RCBM mod...
    T2 is now specialized and no longer invalidates t1
    Bots have a infantry front line role, with cheap costs and heavy damage and decent armor
    Tanks have a cavalry role with high front loaded damage and high armor
    T1 air is more suited to more roles

Those are some of the many changes it makes, and it definitely plays better than vanilla, try it sometime!
    ace63 likes this.
  3. epicblaster117

Ehh, RCBM only adds like 3 units anyways, and they're not so important in a "major" sorta way, so integrating that one would be relatively easy. Strateta on the other hand, not so much.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

It's Statera folks. Not Strateta.

Implementing a new unit is trivial. The biggest thing they'd have to worry about is the hovertank model and texture (plus the fact that it doesn't actually hover).
  5. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Although a bit tedious :(
  6. epicblaster117

My bad with the name, and it is true that half the models you guys used where old uber models so it would be easy to implement.
    Last edited: July 31, 2014
  7. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

It's true. Very unprofessional indeed.
  8. stuart98

Tell me, Nanolathe, what would you have done if you needed more bots?

Oh wait, you did, and you used a model that uber had discarded.

o_O

And even on the peregrine, where you could have imported a new model, you used one that Uber had discarded.
    [​IMG]

It's not like the old models are poor looking. They're just as good as the pre-inferno ones in terms of quality. Those that don't match their roles, look too similar to an existing unit, or are just plain fugly will be replaced over time, but just having those units in and keeping everything as WYSIWYG as is possible for now is far more important than simply not having those units in so that Nanolathe won't call us out on things that he's done himself, albeit to a lesser extent than we have.
  9. nanolathe

"Took out without reason" I think you mean; the Stinger and Peregrin had absolutely zero reason for their being "dropped".

In fact, I think Uber's stated reasoning behind their removal is insulting.

"Increasing unit diversity" indeed. Hmph.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

HEY! I hated the peregrine. It was either they remove or it stay the way it was, from what I saw.
  11. nanolathe

For vanilla? Sure. No argument from me.
    mered4 likes this.
  12. stuart98

The reason (Or lack thereof) is irrelevant. What reason did Uber have for removing the Thumper and dual barreled stomper back in Alpha? The point is, you're using old models that uber removed from the game for a portion missing roles in RCBM and then calling us out when we do the same thing.

I think that we've derailed this thread enough. If you have anything more to say, say it in a PM.
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

the stinger just should be changed into a mashinegun aa or laser aa ... let the spinner be as it is .... that way you could in theory build cheap fast aa that is more prone to miss but spamable or the more expensive, slower, not as spamable but more reliable aa ... would that help? i know the realmmod has one new mashinegun aa but that is again a vehicle ...
    Last edited: July 31, 2014
  14. nanolathe

We may well alter the model at some point to give it a slightly different weapon/role, but for now we have more important things to do. Those weapons need to be standardised and then we may have to do a pass on the units too.
  15. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

I think that the best thing to do would only change numbers, not to make a perfect balance... but to make everything viable.
  16. epicblaster117

Making everything viable is a perfect balance XD
    Gerfand likes this.
  17. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

The biggest improvement over Vanilla in RCBM to me, is that units are good against certain other units, and if you use them correctly, then you can be very cost efficient, but if you use them incorrectly, you are much less cost efficient. What I really, really dislike (I don't want to use such a strong word as hate) in vanilla, is that you can just build the same units every game and be fine.

In RCBM, if you build doxes, they can be countered by building the pendant of grenadiers, and those are weak against flankers, such as tanks (which I find awesome in that mod, finally tanks move quickly and bots slowly, it seemed unnatural to me the other way around), and so on.

In vanilla I can just build tanks and they're good versus EVERYTHING. I don't need to build anything else besides infernos, ants, vanguards, anti-air vehicles... and I can do that every game and win with that. But not in RCBM, where you have to look at what your opponent is doing and react to it accordingly.

RCBM also decreased the micro necessary to play, by making some smart design choices, which I like very much. Such as making doxes able to win fights by just making an attack move and forgetting about them, which is not possible in vanilla (except if you don't care whether they accomplish anything or not).

I also like, that there are units that are ment to flank/raid, and units that are made for frontal assaults instead. I like the changes to orbital, too. And what I like especially are the changes to air. I find the T1 fighter wonderful... to be honest I just like multi-purpose units and the interaction between different layers that they introduce.

Also, it's less about spam in RCBM. Units there are being produced slower than in vanilla, which makes you feel as if every single units counts. In vanilla you don't really care about wasting a handful of units, because individually T1 units are very useless (which is not the case in RCBM), and reinforces are produced very quickly.

There are more things that I favor in RCBM over vanilla (for example the health increase of units and the introduction of heavy hitters to counter units with high HP), but I can't mention them all.
    The biggest advantage though, is still that there are "counters" to different units (I especially like the new vanguard in RCBM), which makes the metagame so much more dynamic, and so much more fun. Now people really have to think about strategies, and which units to build, instead of going for tanks every single f***ing game.

I wish Uber would give RCBM a shot (haven't tried Statera, yet) and notice, how much better it is. I don't want to play vanilla anymore after having tried RCBM...

Greetings
    Last edited: August 1, 2014
    squishypon3 likes this.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

so tl:dr ... rcbm turned PA into starcraft ... ?
  19. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

RCBM turned PA more into TA than Starcraft. Or have you skipped the part about micro?
    I love RCBM so far - it adds so much more variety to the game.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  20. epicblaster117

Actually units build FASTER in RCBM, they just cost more.

You should really try it...