Distributed Management Mode for Units/Buildings

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by nightbasilisk, March 10, 2014.

1. cat1974

cat1974 New Member

In FAF with the GAZ UI a whole lot of people used these advanced user interfaces. You had also the possibility of making templates (one of my favorite fearures) This saved a lot of time builing complex structures. By holding shift during a replay you could also see the planned structures of every player and you could learn a lot from that. You could of course also rotate templates.
  2. nightbasilisk

nightbasilisk Active Member

According to Metabolical on stream the possibility of this being possible with mods is at best when custom servers are released, if even then; didn't quite understand the specifics of why exactly custom servers as the point brouth up of their server/unit interaction wasn't too clear, would have to view the recording later.

A few other things, (since they were mentioned by others in this thread a few times)
    • with regard to the question of "orders as first class entities" it seems they aren't really thinking of anything more complex then being able to place a flag on the map with some orders and assigning units via assist
    • on the topic of building templates they may be possible in the default game via area commands a little bit later down the pipeline
    • the whole "selecting ghost buildings" will likely never be possible (this includes mods)
    • unlikely to have anything outside custom servers with mods having control over player units/buildings
    Disclaimer: Please note that these questions were asked during a stream so there's always the possibility of confusion and the answers may not be fully accurate.

-

tl;dr more then likely will never have anything beyond click-unit-click-command in the base game; potentially unmoddable with normal mods for a long time if ever and may require custom servers if ever possible (according to metabolical)
  3. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

well, 'click unit click command' would hardly be next gen RTS worthy and very disapointing.
  4. nightbasilisk

It is what it is. I'll wait and see the modding options later down the line.
  5. nightbasilisk

After rewatching and vod and tacking a second look at my first post, I think my explanation is probably too long and hard to read for anyone skimming over it due to not having time (or patience) to read it. I don't believe I can boil it down lower with out losing a lot of accuracy and risking misinterpretation so I just did a keypoints highlighting in purple strategy to make it more accessible.

Hopefully that's not too annoying to read though normally now.

Also added a few notes next to images since it seems it's easy to confuse the thread for a "templates idea" due to there being so many images of template-like builds. Templates are not really the core idea the template like structures and bases are just easy visualization of the benefits of having planning tools.

-

Some additional tid-bits from the vod,
    • quote: "not being able to build from ghost buildings is annoying" but according to meta actually getting the ability to build from ghosts is really hard with their current architecture
    • apparently the PA team is confused on how to get multi-unit rally points into the game, potentially never thought of it based on the wording. Should have mentioned to meta just having a little separate rally point command (eg. Alt+Click) or just dragging unit icons to the map but sadly didn't at the time as I was working against other confusion in the conversation.
    • based on my interpretation, at the time of the server modding support we may get access to the "notification system" the ai uses for the purpose of creating mods to do things such as what I described in this thread (maybe =P). Meta seems to suggest they are powerful enough for someone to build an Ai with given how they built their ai with them.
    Based on the game's status on builds, features in builds, the whole floating release date, general attitute towards features (ie. "build something" then figure out what you actually want), general wording and various members saying on occasion how they're "agile" (including meta in stream text chat at the time), I'm fairly sure the process they use (or used for this game) is scrum or variant there of (with 30 day sprints). Based on scrum works, and what we know of the people with the "vision" responsibility, I'm fairly sure we can expect templates "Soon" but advanced UI modding probably months after 1.0 is released—if ever.
  6. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General