Discussion: Uber's plans for Modding, 1.0 and Beyond

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, July 22, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Pay what you want could work.
    Gorbles, squishypon3 and zx0 like this.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It's not workable from the Modder's side of things thought.

In over 6 years working on arguably the longest running and farthest reaching "Expansion Pack" style of Mod(Family of Mods technically) for SupCom:FA never once were we even asked about Donations. Now, true this is in part because we never asked either, but even now with all the crowdfunding going on the idea that it's not something that Gamers think about unless you shove it in thier face, then it's a very fine and wobbly line to walk between asking nicely and pushing it on your player base.

Also, as it seems to need to be said every time this topic comes up, as far as we know(which doesn't mean all that much but it's what we've got), what goes into the Mod Marketplace will not be at the whims of modders. It will be curated. It's true that a modder could work on something specific with the mindset of trying to get it curated but that process will not start from the modder, but rather the overall quality/content of the mod itself.

I don't see how this will hurt modding overall, if the Modding aspect of PA is handled properly and picks up it will only ever be a small portion of mods that would even potentially meet any potential requirements to be included in the marketplace to begin with. You'll never see a mod in the marketplace that is summarized by "Makes a new Bot unit with a sombrero that shoots flaming Tacos" in the Marketplace. You'll be finding things like mini campaigns, in-depth scenario set-ups and Total Conversions.

If the system is so easily abusable for "Cash Grabs" then it's a bad system, not a problem with the concept itself.

Mike
    Last edited: September 24, 2014
  3. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

If you guys can't see that imposing prices on mods also imposes restrictions on the mods then you are thick.

There will be no free mods, Uber will charge for every single mod, because why would they not? It's free money. Alright I'm embellishing there will be free mods, but their quality will be shocking.

The user base for the mods will be incredibly small, because no one wants to buy it. (well not as many as would have downloaded were it free). Thus limiting the player base.

Vanilla will suck as uber can't incorporate ideas from mods without ripping people off.

You won't be able to set your own prices or control what is done with your mod.

Genuinely stupid idea.

Hopefully without sounding unduly harsh, you want a regular paycheck? Get a job.
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It isn't about imposing prices; it wouldn't be Uber adding a price to mods, it would be modders choosing to sell their mod, or have it available for free.
  5. schuesseled192

And why would you assume that? Why would it be your choice at all? (You have no rights to your work once you release it, Uber owns it all.)
  6. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Because trying to force a price on a modder wont work, they'll just upload their mod elsewhere, like PAMM, and make it available for free. It is literally pointless. Why assume the other way?

That's not true.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

As Raevn said, you do, because you did that work. Again, as long as you're not distributing the engine or something Uber claims ownership of, you'll be fine.

Total conversion mods would be especially safe, as they wouldn't even have the same models, or animations. Plus, why would Uber even do this, if it were possible? They've always described the mod marketplace as being a place where people can put up mods, free, paid, or otherwise.
  8. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

1. Scaremongering with no evidence to back it up. Please point to games mods and/or modding scenes that have been negatively impacted by their ability to sell mods.

My argument: look at Valve.

2. Why would the userbase be small? Why are you assuming that people have no disposable income?

3. Why can't Uber? They own the game. Presumably modders can be aware that Uber have the right to adopt features into the main game?

4. Why can't modders do this? What are you basing these massive assumptions off?

5. I have a job. I also mod video games. I'd mod video games more if I had a way to bring money in at the same time, because I love doing it.

Unfortunately, my modelling skills (well actually it's more my UVmapping and rigging skills) suck too much to invest time in the TF2 or DotA 2 Workshops.

You haven't answered my questions. You keep throwing about doomsday scenarios without explaining how we'd get there. You've told people to get a job instead of charging for professional-quality work. Why should they?

You haven't given one reason why people shouldn't charge for professional-quality work.

Aye, it could. Or even set a "minimum" price and pay what you want over that (similar to Humble Bundle).

The idea requires experimentation, but obviously the end goal would be people could get mods for free, or they could choose paid modifications. The paid modifications that sell will be the ones that look like they're worth the money.

Heck, even introduce a way to review mods. That'd be fantastic, and indicative of the self-sustaining platform Uber view PA as becoming in the future.
  9. Geers

I can see it now:
    0/10 isn't compatible with my 600 other mods.
    0/10 crashes.
    0/10 the creator sucks because *insert agenda here*.
  10. Gorbles

By that metric any method of reviewing a product is silly and should never be done :p
  11. Geers

I'm just saying I wouldn't throw the word "fantastic" out there. Let's go with "potentially useful".
  12. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Allow text reviews, but not ratings. Instead, use positive only metrics like download count or likes to measure popularity + quality.
    squishypon3 and Gorbles like this.
  13. Gorbles

Another good idea. People are too tied to the idea of of a score out of ten (or a hundred, or whatever) when it comes to reviews. Damned Metacritic.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

On a score of 1 to 10, ten being the best, one being the worst, I personally would rate that people REALLY NEED TO GET A MORE CONCISE AND DESCRIPTIVE RATING SYSTEM...
    Gorbles likes this.
  15. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

It's come up numerous times in relation to PAMM. I think any system where a random person can negatively impact someone else's work is not appropriate.
  16. KNight

As I just spent 2 paragraphs explaining, no. This isn't about Jerk-modders selling any mod they can come up with, or Uber twirling it's mustachio as it sets stupid prices for all mods.

It's about Uber looking across all the mods out there, finding the high quality one(s) and saying "Yeah we really like this/these one(s) and it meets the expectations we've set, lets talk to them about putting it into the marketplace." or "Wow this guy/gal/group has a great idea, lets work with them to make sure we provide all the hooks and stuff they need to make it the best they can and see if we can get it onto the Marketplace."

Or at least that was Uber's intent the last time we talked to them about it, if you haven't read through this thread IN IT'S ENTIRETY yet you should.

Mike
  17. Geers

What if we pick a weird number like 53?
    squishypon3 likes this.
  18. schuesseled192

You actually think it's good idea putting only the mods uber wants for sale in the marketplace. Imagine i'm howling with laughter. I am.
  19. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You laughing isn't a valid argument for anything ;)
  20. KNight

If the fact that Uber would making the selections is the worse thing about it according to you I'd say it's still far better than the whole "Jerk-modders selling any mod they can come up with or Uber twirling it's mustachio as it sets stupid prices for all mods." scenarios no?

Mike