Discussion: Implementing an Item Store.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mrikk, August 31, 2012.

1. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

The problem with cosmetics in this game is that they can't really alter the unit's appearance, or they risk losing that 'readability' that is so desired in games with many units.

Eg: If they offer some scantily-clad women unit pack, what am I going to do to differentiate them? Compare breast sizes? As ...... interesting as that may be, it would completely ruin the game.

Cosmetics would need to be kept strictly to the commander or the player's profile page. This makes them somewhat less desirable, since they'd be more difficult to show off. That hasn't stopped EvE from having success with it though, so I imagine it would work at least somewhat.

Also, if they made a troll-faced (meme) commander, I would probably entertain the idea of getting it.

There's no real harm in cosmetic purchases, so I don't understand what all the uproar is about. There needs to be at least some cashflow, and cosmetics help solve that problem.
  2. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Here's one I made earlier...

[​IMG]
  3. DeadMG

DeadMG Member

This isn't the 1-sale packaged product model. This is the "Development paid for in advance by customers" model. Arguably, if Uber budgeted accurately, then if they never, ever, sell a single copy of the game, it should still have been worth it for them. Now I'm not saying that selling Commander Hats wouldn't bring in extra revenue. All I am saying is that it's not like PA is barely going to sell any units and Uber are going to be out a crockton of money, like what happens normally, because, well, the game's already paid for.