Discussion: Early Game Commander Rushes

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by brianpurkiss, December 29, 2013.

1. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

The nature of commander rushes has changed. Previously, he was the megatank at the front of the fight. Any other units were just supporting him. Now it's the other way around. It's so easy to pump out so many doxes that the Commander's best place is behind his own wall of Doxes. He's supporting them. If you see you're losing the Dox fight, you'd better start moving away.

Rapid Dox production from fewer factories makes it easier to flank the commander and kill his fabricators.

So I do still see "commander rushes" in the sense that the enemy commander is charging my base but it's more about the Doxes now, and the advantage there goes to the guy whose factories are closer at hand.
    philoscience likes this.
  2. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

I know this is kind of breaking the mold and reducing AWESOME, but I hate the deathnuke. It should just go away entirely as something that can ruin a small base. I can't think of a single positive thing it has ever done for gameplay.
  3. preachyr

preachyr New Member

Just wanted to chime in on the topic of commanders being expendable in team games.

I don't like the idea of a player being booted when commander dies. You should be able to win or lose as a team, right to the end.

I also don't like the idea of having a bunch of 'expendable' commanders. There should always be a penalty for losing such an important figure.

In team games, when a commander dies, why not have an army wide disruption of some sort. Say x number of seconds where all units and buildings shut down or become unresponsive as they "re-sync" and reorient to having one less brain (comm). Some sort of minor, but noticeable and annoying effect on the team as a consequence of losing one of its leaders.
    Or,
    The player who lost their comm, instead of being booted, cannot control any units for a few minutes, say the same thing, he is re-syncing his command or whatever.

Gives a temporary but noticeable punishment for losing the comm, but not so punishing as bootig the player from the game completely, after all it would really suck to be playing with friends and not able to finish the game with them (win or lose).
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It slows momentum in team games.