[discussion] Cliffs

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by aevs, January 16, 2014.

1. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Yeah, it's a succession of brushes, which is why the texture is split into strips.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

How did you even do it? I must know!
  3. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Ugh, tried my hand at importing a custom brush from blender... not going well.
    Raevn's exporter produces an error and will not work if there are no vertex groups in the model.
    Trying to run papatran.exe with --no-materials on a blender exported fbx seems to crash it.
    I'm also not sure how to define the path to the model's texture files otherwise (I've seen a couple posts mentioning a default.settings file, but no more information on what that is).
    Only thing I can think of doing now is finding some way of producing .fbx files that papatran.exe can actually use.
    I can't wait until we get better modding support with some real documentation :D

There are 2 (3 if you count ice) biomes for those planets.
    One biome type is just your average mountain biome that covers the entire planet.
    The other biome type is a highly modified mountain biome, which has only 1 brush (the mountain pit brush) which is not bent with the terrain, and is used with very high frequency (sample_scale is set to around 0.1).
    It supercedes the regular mountain biome, and only appears between a very narrow height range (say, 0 and 0.05). What I'm trying to do here is spawn these brushes on a contour line around the terrain, ideally so that they are only placed on steep slopes. The method I used is a very poor approximation of that (because it only takes terrain height into account to place them, they end up getting placed sporadically on flat parts of the terrain very often), but it's the best I could come up with by looking at the different terrain and biome files and trying to figure out what's what.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You can't use Blender .fbx files if that's what you're using as they are made a little differently to actual 3Ds Max .fbx files... Oh and what I mean't was- how did you even spawn brushes in such a way? And shouldn't this actually be playable if you saved the planet from the editor? Or would it break?
  5. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Yeah, figures.
    In order to spawn the brush that frequently, I set "sample_scale" to 0.15 (it's usually around 1.2 for most brushes I think). It seems a lower sample scale means a smaller distance between spawned brushes.
    It wouldn't be playable for the same reason no other custom planet types are playable, since it uses a custom planet type that the server does not have.